GNex case/screen protectors...

billyk

Reaction score
I've got a new GNex and did my research regarding cases and screen protectors. Given excellent feedback from this forum, I purchased the Diztronic Revision 3 case which really is excellent! Fits the extended battery perfectly. Screen protectors are another story.

I often use protectors when my phone is new and then go without as it gets older. I've always had a pouch for all of my previous Androids, so the screen always remained unscratched regardless of using a protector or not. Now I have the Diztronic and I'd like to use a protector, but even casual research shows that there is no one real leader in this space. I love Steinheil products, but both GNex protectors have very mixed reviews, so I bought a Boxwave, which has less user feedback, but the feedback is really positive.

The Boxwave has a great feel and very good clarity, but it pulls up around the edges (curved screen-challenged) which kinda looks like crap.

Has anyone found a protector that covers the entire GNex screen, has good clarity and feel, but does not pull up around the edges?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
The screen protector that should have came with your Diztronic is the best I've used by far. Are they not shipping free screen protectors anymore?

EDIT: Just checked with Amazon, they're still shipping the screen protectors. You have to be really careful when you install this one. It goes edge to edge and it's easy to get lint under the corners. Use the tape trick until you're able to remove all the lint. Once this is done, the lip of the case will overlap the edge of the screen protector so that you have 100% coverage. Mine's been flawless for two months now.

Last edited:
OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
The screen protector that should have came with your Diztronic is the best I've used by far. Are they not shipping free screen protectors anymore?

EDIT: Just checked with Amazon, they're still shipping the screen protectors. You have to be really careful when you install this one. It goes edge to edge and it's easy to get lint under the corners. Use the tape trick until you're able to remove all the lint. Once this is done, the lip of the case will overlap the edge of the screen protector so that you have 100% coverage. Mine's been flawless for two months now.

Thanks! I got a screen protector with my Diztronic, but I thought it was a throw-away. I kept it as a back-up, and given your feedback, I'll have to give it a try! What other protectors have you tried on your GNex?

I took a look today at a friend's GNex with the SteinHeil Flex and it had edge-to-edge coverage. Frankly it didn't look as clear as the Boxwave and it had that funky orange-peel texture. But the edges were not peeling-up.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
I got the standard screen protectors from VZW when I got my Gnex. The demo unit was already scratched and I didn't want to be without one at all. I avoided the anti-glare ones and most people hate that one (even the sales guy said don't get it). I got my Gnex in December and have been happy with that screen protector. I'm still on my 1st one but getting ready to replace it as it has some scratches already.

As for cases I bought the Incipio case and liked it, though it felt bulky. I bought a Seidio Active case (black/blue) recently and really like it for when I need a rugged case (camping, hiking, etc). I also got a Cruzerlite green case that I really like for more casual use. It's very thin and looks amazing and in green is shows off my Android pride :)

I had to get some color, the all black Incipio was driving me nuts.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Wookie - I've heard good things about the VZW protectors. Thanks for the info.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I got a screen protector with my Diztronic, but I thought it was a throw-away. I kept it as a back-up, and given your feedback, I'll have to give it a try! What other protectors have you tried on your GNex?

I took a look today at a friend's GNex with the SteinHeil Flex and it had edge-to-edge coverage. Frankly it didn't look as clear as the Boxwave and it had that funky orange-peel texture. But the edges were not peeling-up.

The thing I like about the Diztronic is you can't even tell there's a screen protector on the phone, given it was installed correctly. It also doesn't have the orange peel effect that a lot of protectors do.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
The thing I like about the Diztronic is you can't even tell there's a screen protector on the phone, given it was installed correctly. It also doesn't have the orange peel effect that a lot of protectors do.

I tried the Invisible Shield on my Droid X and I have one on my Xoom. At first they seem awesome but over time that orange peel affect gets worse and worse. I'm seriously thinking of yanking of off my Xoom now (might try having them put a new one on first, but we will see).

My wife has an Invisible Shield on her D3, and I can barely stand to touch her phone. She doesn't notice it, but it drives me nuts!

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
sbenson:
The complaint I've heard about that protector is the rainbow effect it reportedly has. Do you see that?
Maybe yours is a newer version?