Gmail using most of my internal memory

ahendric

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I have searched and searched for some info on this, but the other day when I got the 'low internal memory' warning, I brought up the manage applications to see what things were the biggest users of my internal memory. Turns out it was gmail at 37MB. How is gmail storing data and how can I reduce this. When I go to my gmail account online it tells me I am using 162MB. I do belong to a couple of very active email groups, but I guess I didn't realize that there was anything being stored on my phone.

I do have my RoadRunner email forwarded to my gmail account so that I can at least label things.

Is there something I am missing? I believe my gmail account is a POP3 and not set up as an IMAP.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If this is on the wrong forum, then my apologies,
Andrew

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Andrew,

Gmail shouldn't be using any of your "internal memory" for storage. Have you tried power cycling your phone?

At the moment I have over 600 emails (out of more than 20,000) from gmail on my phone and other than the occasional impact of receiving emails from my gmail account and cpu cycles to read/send gmail from my phone it has almost no impact on the performance of my phone.

Try turning your phone off/on and see what happens.

OP
ahendric

ahendric

Reaction score
jsh1120,

Thanks, I power on and off maybe once a week and an occasional battery pull. This has been happening for at least the last month (that I have noticed). I assumed that the gmail app should be taking almost no memory. I wonder if it has to do with the calendar entries, although when I delete some of the email, the over all size of the gmail app gets reduced.

Thanks
Andrew

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
jsh1120,

Thanks, I power on and off maybe once a week and an occasional battery pull. This has been happening for at least the last month (that I have noticed). I assumed that the gmail app should be taking almost no memory. I wonder if it has to do with the calendar entries, although when I delete some of the email, the over all size of the gmail app gets reduced.

Thanks
Andrew

You might try the following:

Menu>Settings>Applications>ManageApplications>Menu>Filter:All

Then go to gmail and gmail storage. Clear cache and clear data from each. Shouldn't cause you problems even if it wipes out email on your droid since your gmail is available through your gmail account.

OP
ahendric

ahendric

Reaction score
I will give it a try, I didn't want to delete the mail on the phone and have it delete my gmail online data.

Thanks and I will let you know how this goes.

Andrew