Gmail--two apps/icons?

DroidPDX

Reaction score
I've had two Droids before so I am confused by what's going on with my Razr Maxx.

There seems to be two places to check my GMail. One is the Gmail icon and the other is with the Email icon.

Under the Email icon, my mail seems to keep syncing. It has the black background and gives me options at the top to switch between email accounts.

The other one is like the Gmail app I had on my old phone, with the Gmail icon on the home screen, which has a white skin background. I was getting notifications with both icons. When I turn off syncing for one, it stops the push syncing all together.

Can anyone offer advice to simplify this? I don't need both places to check Gmail, nor do I need two notifications with each email that comes into Gmail.

Last edited:

DocsDad

Reaction score
I've had two Droids before so I am confused by what's going on with my Razr Maxx.

There seems to be two places to check my GMail. One is the Gmail icon and the other is with the Email icon.

Under the Email icon, my mail seems to keep syncing. It has the black background and gives me options at the top to switch between email accounts.

The other one is like the Gmail app I had on my old phone, with the Gmail icon on the home screen, which has a white skin background. I was getting notifications with both icons. When I turn off syncing for one, it stops the push syncing all together.

Can anyone offer advice to simplify this? I don't need both places to check Gmail, nor do I need two notifications with each email that comes into Gmail.
Hmm.

1- If you only have one email account that you want pushed, you should be able to turn the notifications off in the native "email" app.
2- Also, I noticed in settings/device set up there are some options as well.
3- Another thought is to clear data in the native "email" in settings/application/manage apps/all. (this s assuming you don't have another account pushed or it will clear that data too)

Sorry, I am guessing at options. I have not had this issue. I have the Gmail push my Gmail and "Email" push AOL. I like them separate.

Last edited:
OP
DroidPDX

DroidPDX

Reaction score
Thanks Dad. No, I have other accounts in the native Email account, so i can't clear the data.

And I have the notifications off. But what I want to do is use the Gmail app/icon for Gmail, and the other one (Email) for my POP accounts. I simply want to delete Gmail from appearing in the "Email" program.

No answers yet. That's surprising.

DocsDad

Reaction score
Go to main menu setting, tap "accounts", tap the "gmail account", scroll to the bottom and tap "remove account". I believe that will remove it from the native app sync but keep your gmail app intact. No promises but it looks correct to me and is nothing that cannot be brought back to life very easily.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you see 2 [email protected] accounts remove the one with "Gmail" under it.

"Google" is for the actual gmail app and any other google stuff on the phone. ( market, contacts etc..)

----posted maxx'ed out----

Geminus

Reaction score
I have the same problem two gmail apps on my Asus Transformer

I used to have a Motorola Xoom that got stolen in Italy. When I came home I bought a new Asus Transformer a few months later. I entered my g-mail acct info and when the new transformer started syncing up it loaded all the apps I had on my Xoom. Now I have two gmail apps and I cannot uninstall either. Any ideas? Also now my Transformer has the device name "Wills Xoom" and its a bit annoying.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Geminus said:
I used to have a Motorola Xoom that got stolen in Italy. When I came home I bought a new Asus Transformer a few months later. I entered my g-mail acct info and when the new transformer started syncing up it loaded all the apps I had on my Xoom. Now I have two gmail apps and I cannot uninstall either. Any ideas? Also now my Transformer has the device name "Wills Xoom" and its a bit annoying.

Look in playstore for 2 listed gmail apps. Remove one of them

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----