Gmail synch deleted all of my phone contacts

kjm018

Reaction score
When I got my phone a month ago, it was mostly synched with my Gmail account, but not completely. I always got the error message "Too many contacts deletes" so I just turned off the contact synch option.

With the Verizon update that was sent out last week, I thought I'd try again to synch my contacts...

And it deleted all the contacts on my phone!!!

I checked my Gmail account on my laptop, and it looks like all my contacts are still there. So how do I get my contacts from my Gmail to send to my phone now?

I keep returning to Settings > Data synchronization > Contacts and selecting to synch now. It rolls the arrows in a circle for about 10 seconds like it's working, then tells me it's synched as of 12:38 a.m. It's not.

HaLo2FrEeEk

Reaction score
Your contacts are still there, don't worry. Tell me, how many contacts is your contact list displaying? I had this same issue with my phone. Try searching for a contact that isn't listed in the contact list, it should show up. Let me know if it does and I can help you more.

joelbustos

Reaction score
that's exactly what's going on with mine. how do you fix that. i figured i just turned something off or changed a setting, and now can't remember what i did

HaLo2FrEeEk

Reaction score
Try this, turn off sync for a minute or two, then turn it back on, it should sync all your contacts, then go into contact list > settings > display settings and check "only contacts with phone numbers." That seemed to work for me. I have the system group "my contacts" selected and the option above and I got all my phone contacts back. Lemme know how that works for you.

OP
K

kjm018

Reaction score
Your contacts are still there, don't worry. Tell me, how many contacts is your contact list displaying? I had this same issue with my phone. Try searching for a contact that isn't listed in the contact list, it should show up. Let me know if it does and I can help you more.

My contact list shows only one contact: Me.

Even when I search in my phone book for specific people, no one shows up. In my call log, all the names have been replaced by Unknown.

I have roughly 140 numbers in my Google contacts list that I want to be back on my phone. When I try "synch now," it does the same thing, though. It appears as though it's synching for a matter of seconds, but nothing happens.

Here's a weird catch: I had some people's address book entries synched to their Facebook accounts, and their Facebook updates will show up.

Last edited:

HaLo2FrEeEk

Reaction score
Try a few things here then. First go to contacts list > settings > import/export and import from the sd card. If that doesn't work download an app called fring and load it up. If it shows your phone contacts then they're still somewhere on the phone. Make sure you have the system group "my contacts" checked. As a test try checking all the boxes under contact list > settings > display options > (your account)@gmail.com. check all the boxes there and see if anyone shows up in the contact list. Worse come to worst you can take your old phone back to a verizon store and resync your contacts, but try what I suggested first.

OP
K

kjm018

Reaction score
I tried Fring, and it cannot detect my contacts either.

I don't know what you mean when you say contact lists > settings. That doesnt seem to be an option. I have the Eris if that makes a difference.

Weltall43

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing, but during Facebook sync....I can find the contacts if I search for them, but the only ones visible without searching are the Facebook contacts....

Any fix for this?

OP
K

kjm018

Reaction score
I called Verizon today, and they transferred me to an HTC representative. Here are the steps he gave me to synch your Gmail contacts with your Droid phonebook:

-- Click on Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications
-- Find three applications: Gmail, Gmail storage, Google applications.
-- Click on each of the three applications. Select "Clear data" from each. Remove battery.
Restart Droid.
-- Click on Gmail, and re-enter your account information.

At this point, the HTC representative thought the Gmail and Droid phonebooks should be synched up. Mine weren't, so he had me continue with a few more steps:

-- Restart Droid.
-- Check “People” again to see if address book is restored.

-- If not, open Gmail again.
-- Menu > Refresh.
-- Check “People” again to see if address book is restored.

None of this worked on my phone, which seemed to stump him. He put me on hold for a long time, saying he was going to try to login with my Google account on a different phone. I could no longer wait on hold, though, and needed to hang up.

If anyone has any additional ideas, please let me know! My phonebook is still not synched.

Last edited:
OP
K

kjm018

Reaction score
Update: I brought the phone to a Verizon store tonight. They reps there concluded it must be a defective phone.

I'm still searching for any last ways to push Google contacts to the Droid, but hope to get a replacement phone.

OP
K

kjm018

Reaction score
I fixed it! :icon_ banana:

I decided to risk it and restore to factory preset. I held my breath, pushed the button and it worked!

Yes, it was a pain in the butt -- I had a lot of applications and a lot of custom settings -- but the synch works beautifully now!

A suggestion to anyone who ever tries that: You might want to write down which applications you liked. :)

Silver Member
Reaction score
I fixed it! :icon_ banana:

I decided to risk it and restore to factory preset. I held my breath, pushed the button and it worked!

Yes, it was a pain in the butt -- I had a lot of applications and a lot of custom settings -- but the synch works beautifully now!

A suggestion to anyone who ever tries that: You might want to write down which applications you liked. :)
if you choose to have google backup your settings, android will check with the marketplace and replace the applications you once had installed.

Ed Minnich

Reaction score
I have had this problem and "beware"...you have a good chance of losing all of your contacts so back them up whichever way you can, but don't trust that they will be backed up on Gmail. I had over 500 contacts and had noticed from early on that there was an alert that said "too many contacts deletes". I did not know what it was so I left it alone. Last week while talking to someone on the phone my call was dropped. I went to call log and it was "blank". The next morning I went to place a call to someone on my contacts but they were not there...then I noticed that all of my business and family contacts were gone, but my church contacts were still there. Gmail showed 153 contacts and the phone only had 98 on it. I spent over an hour on the phone to Motorola (no help at all), over an hour at Best Buys (no help) and over an hour at Verizon. The tech at Verizon indicated that this had only been seen by them as a problem three times since November. She went through the phone and found the V card to be defective. Hence I lost all business contacts, photos, calendar, downloads, music...all of it. :icon_evil: She replaced the V card transferred contacts again from my old/old phone and I'm up and running again...I hope to be able to salvage my photos and music from the old V card by inserting it into a computer, uploading, and then inserting my new V card and downloading.

I will be backing my stuff up elsewhere (not on phone and not on G mail. If you google this you will notice that this is going on with different phones, different mfgrs, and different cell service providers, but the common thread seems to be phones that use the high end type of technology like a droid does.

Warning, if the number of contacts on Gmail versus the number on your phone is different then it is NOT synching no matter what the phone says.

Ed