GMail sync

frandroid2

Reaction score
I don't know if this has already been asked, but it seems like my gmail takes forever to sync. Like if I delete mail, using my laptop, it is still there on the phone. I am still trying to decide if I will use the gmail app or the native email app. but both have this same issue.
thank you in advance for any help

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're using a power profile other than performance mode or have always-on data turned off you could have to wait for the sync to cycle at it's set interval or manually refresh. The stock mail app is horrible and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The stock Gmail app is at least workable. Not the best or worst.

OP
F

frandroid2

Reaction score
Thank you MrSmith for answering. Where do I find the option to turn the data off and on.....:) I have thh stock gmail app and I do prefer it to the native email app, but it takes some getting used to coming from my old phone lol thanks again!

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you MrSmith for answering. Where do I find the option to turn the data off and on.....:) I have thh stock gmail app and I do prefer it to the native email app, but it takes some getting used to coming from my old phone lol thanks again!

Always on-data is under settings -> power I believe. I'm currently backing up my phone so I can't check exactly.

OP
F

frandroid2

Reaction score
So here is what I have noticed:
when I am in the gmail app and refresh, it does not refresh to update the emails that I have deleted from my email on another device. when I go to sync, it still does not delete. unless I am missing something when I delete my email from my computer the app on the phone should no longer show them. However, even emails I deleted/or read yesterday afternoon are still showing new on the phone.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
So here is what I have noticed:
when I am in the gmail app and refresh, it does not refresh to update the emails that I have deleted from my email on another device. when I go to sync, it still does not delete. unless I am missing something when I delete my email from my computer the app on the phone should no longer show them. However, even emails I deleted/or read yesterday afternoon are still showing new on the phone.

That's weird. Check your gmail account in accounts. Do you have a sync stuck ??

OP
F

frandroid2

Reaction score
I checked, it is set to push mail. The native app is the one that is not deleting read/discarded mail. But the settings are the same for it as with the gmail app. So I have no clue as to why it is acting weird. I am going to VZW tomorrow so I will ask then. Thank you for your help! :)

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I checked, it is set to push mail. The native app is the one that is not deleting read/discarded mail. But the settings are the same for it as with the gmail app. So I have no clue as to why it is acting weird. I am going to VZW tomorrow so I will ask then. Thank you for your help! :)

First of all, I agree with Smith - the stock email app sucks. I use the Gmail app for all my email accounts (pop3 and gmail). Anytime the Gmail app is not doing exactly what it is supposed to do, the first thing I do is this: Home Screen/Settings/Apps/All/Gmail and then press the Clear Data button. It will take the Gmail app a minute or so to re-sync, but all will be well then.

Here's how to setup all your email accounts to be pushed to the Gmail app on your phone: Using Gmail as your own personal push mail server

Good luck.

OP
F

frandroid2

Reaction score
Thank you Bayou! I appreciate it. I won't push ALL my mail to my phone lol that would be waaay to much going on :p but I truly appreciate the info!

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you Bayou! I appreciate it. I won't push ALL my mail to my phone lol that would be waaay to much going on :p but I truly appreciate the info!

Ok, I think I finally got this.. Don't use the stock mail app. Try K-9, or enhanced email, or anything else...lol That abomination should've been left by the wayside.

Stock GMail app is fine...stock E-mail app .... ugh.