Gmail sync failing repeatedly

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by mobilemedic20, Mar 10, 2010.

1. mobilemedic20

mobilemedic20 New Member

This started happening yesterday... noticing long periods when I receive no e-mail, then a whole bunch of e-mail comes in all at once (or I'll notice on my PC that my inbox is loaded with new e-mails, but nothing on the phone).

No other errors, I've confirmed that sync is on, etc. This only applies to GMail (I'm using one regular e-mail account that is set to check every hour).

I've tried clearing the Data for Gmail and Gmail storage - this works immediately, but then the problem relapses.

I should also mention this happened one other time right after I got the phone, but a quick data clearing fixed it for a couple weeks.
    This is a complete deal breaker, whether it's the phone or Android that's causing it. I'm 100% returning this phone next week prior to the end of my 30 day evaluation. The primary reason is to see what happens with the N1 and Incredible, but if this is an Android problem, I'm sad to say I'll have to go back to blackberry - above all, I need my phone/messaging to be *reliable*!

Any thoughts appreciated.
  2. hondaguy520

hondaguy520 New Member

i believe they are having technical difficulties, mines doing the same and its draining the crap out of my battery, when i went into running apps the calendar sync icon was just spinning, and i clicked it and got to the sync menu and at the bottom it said google sync is having issues, hopefully it will be fixed by tomorrow , i just shut off the sync to my gmail account for now because my battery was draining within 4 hours
  3. aminaked

aminaked New Member

I was having the gmail sync problem once/week. Clearing gmail storage data was a short term fix but I had to do it every week. I don't have the problem any more. Here's what I did:

1) gmail app > settings > labels > inbox > sync all
    2) don't use wifi. or, turn it on when you need it and off when you are done--might work.
    3) use "gmail notifier" in the market to make sure you get notifications for every gmail. turn on notifications in the gmail app and in gmail notifier.

That's it. I'm not sure if all or part of this solution is necessary but it has worked for me without a hitch for over 2 weeks.
  4. mobilemedic20

mobilemedic20 New Member

Thanks, but this is too much jury rigging to get something as simple as e-mail working, and I want to be able to use Wifi. Not boding well for Android if this problem persists!
  5. aminaked

aminaked New Member

I might be wrong about wifi. Try these or at least #1:

1) gmail app > settings > labels > inbox > sync all
    3) use "gmail notifier" in the market to make sure you get notifications for every gmail. turn on notifications in the gmail app and in gmail notifier.
  6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I think it's in your set up. If you have your POP3 account forwarded to gmail you shouldn't have this issue. You're using the email app not the gmail and that I believe is what may be causing you issues.

You can set your email up to be forwarded to gmail easily by doing it at gmail.com. in the settings.
  7. mobilemedic20

mobilemedic20 New Member

No. Not using POP3, just gmail.
  8. smd12

smd12 New Member

@ aminaked the sync all theory didn't work for me. i am still not getting emails. i don't understand why a simple thing like getting gmail on the droid is so hard :(
  9. hookbill

It shouldn't be. I have no problem with mine.
  10. smd12

smd12 New Member

did you ever have that problem? and if so did going into manage apps/filter/gmail and gmail storage and clearing data do the trick? cuz for me its the only a temp fix.
  11. hookbill

No, since day 1 gmail has worked great on my phone. Alert usually goes off before my computer does.
  12. smd12

smd12 New Member

mine used to work great. i even got a new phone and gmail still doesn't work right :(
  13. aminaked

aminaked New Member

I know I was frustrated with this problem too. Hopefully the 2.1 update will fix this, but I'm actually happy with the phone now that I've found some key workarounds. Let me go over a couple things with you:

You set gmail sync to "all" via your phone's gmail app, right? Did you clear your gmail storage one last time after making that change?

How exactly do you know it isn't syncing? Do you see a connection/sync error? Is it just that you don't get notifications for new email? Does the mail just not show up? What happens when you hit "refresh" in the gmail app?

If you are seeing an error message then I would guess that either verizon/google is having a temporary problem or wifi is the issue. So you are using wifi? If so, you might need to turn off wifi, reboot, and only turn on wifi only when you need it, turn it off when done, and never leave an area when connected to wifi. Maybe just don't use wifi.

If you don't see an error but you aren't being notified of new mail then turn on notifications in both the gmail app and "gmail notifier" from the market.

A whole different way to go would be to use k9 to grab email from google. You'd have to go to gmail.com and turn on imap in settings.
  14. smd12

smd12 New Member

i have to manually refresh to get emails. i tried the sync all cleared the data right after turned power off and back on still the same problem. and i am not using wifi.

i get all my emails from my yahoo account using the imap setup LOL

i guess i will get the gmail notifier and hope that 2.1 gets here soon and it fixes the problem.

thanx for you help!
  15. aminaked

aminaked New Member

So no error message? It sounds like you have sync turned off. Gmail app > menu > accounts > menu again > account settings > is everything on?

And you're not using a task killer or maybe some other funky app that is interfering?
  16. smd12

smd12 New Member

everything is on and set up proper. i am using advanced task killer but i have this issue before i d/l that.

this is beyond me. i d/l gmail notifier hopefully that works

i am not getting any error messages at all.
  17. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Ok, it sounds like you are having a different problem from the one I was having. I would get an error message in the gmail app.

I wonder if you have "mark all as read" or some other option in gmail.com settings that's causing this.

Maybe the task killer is the problem. Perhaps the problem was occurring before the task killer for a different reason. Now it's happening because of the task killer? Many people, including me, don't think task killers are a good idea. Your expending resources to get rid of idle tasks that use no resources and you might be causing problems with phone functions. If you insist on using it, make sure that you have it ignore anything having to do with gmail and sync.

I have 3 ideas if none of this works for you:
    1) use k9 to grab gmail or
    2) factory reset, being sure to back up your apps first
    3) get your phone replaced
  18. smd12

smd12 New Member

i turned off the labs i was running. i don't have "mark all as read" i uninstalled the task killer still not getting emails

i'll do a factory reset

thank for your patience and your help! :D
  19. aminaked

aminaked New Member

That's cool, I'm really into email problems on the droid for some reason. There was one other thing you might check. In your phone's gmail app, go to the outbox and make sure there isn't something "stuck" in there that isn't sending. If so, delete it.

I just did some searching for this problem on google. Someone had luck deleting the gmail app's data (not just the gmail storage data). Another person had to delete facebook sync to make it work. Another person had to turn off gmail syncing and turn it back on again. Maybe one of these solutions will work for you. I found these by searching google for: droid gmail sync manually
  20. birdy

birdy New Member

i am having problems with getting my comcast outlook express emails consistantly, along with getting notifications of email, but no email on phone (only on PC)...even occasionally an email to comcast will end up in my gmail (and no one has my gmail address!)....my question after seeing so many people with email problems like mine is this - you said he could have his pop3 account (wold that be my comcast acct?) go directly to gmail.does that mean i could do this on my phone, and not have to give up my comcast acct or tell everyone to send me mail to my gmail acct?? that would be a good enough fix for me, if that is what you meant. thanks, birdy
Search tags for this page

android gmail fails to sync

droiddnaloginfailed
failed to sync gmail android
gmail acount sync failed
gmail android sync fails
gmail failure on android
gmail failure to sync

gmail pop3 incredible failure

gmail sync unavailable

synchronizing failed repeatedly

syncing failed repeatedly