GMail stopped syncing to phone...

dp2sholly

Reaction score
Just an update on what I'm finding...

I've been running an out of the box configuration for the past 36 or so hours after the reset (only Google Voice, Maps update & Astro have been added) and the gmail sync has been working flawlessly. In fact, it's not unusual for my Droid to beep at me that I have a new message even before that message shows up in my Gmail inbox.

I think part of my problem was not understanding how the new mail notification works with Gmail. I assumed I would get a new notification notice (ringtone) with each new message that I received in my inbox. So, if got 3 new messages in a 5 minute time, I expected to get 3 audible notifications. Well, that's not exactly right. If you receive a new email notification and do not do anything with that notification (either clear it from the notifications tab, click on the new message from the notifications tab, or do something to the message from Gmail) you will not hear any new alerts after the 1st alert. When you finally do click on your notifications tab, you'll see the message count is right for all the new and subsequent messages that came in since the initial notification.

So it if there is an active alert for Gmail on your Android device (at least on the Moto Droid), subsequent emails will not trigger an alert ringtone.

dp2sholly

Reaction score
Things had been working very well for the past 2 days since uninstalling all apps & factory reset. That is, until after lunch today. I just noticed at ~3:30 EST that I was receiving emails in my 2 gmail (GApps accounts, one Premier Edition, one Standard Edition) accounts but was not getting any notifications on my Droid. When I looked at my device, I also noticed that the office WiFi had not been connected and I had to force the WiFi though the phone showed 4 bars of 3G before I manually re-connected to the office WiFi.

I'm going to leave it alone and see what happens when I leave the office later, travel home (on just 3G connection) and then connect to my home WiFi. I thought it might be a data network issue but I just sent myself a text message to my GV number and that notification came through in seconds.

Spankyy24

Reaction score
I was having issues with mine giving me notifications when I got an email on my gmail, using the gmail program. I noticed that if I. Leave Google Talk running in the background, I get my notifications instantly. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it or if it is coincidence. Maybe Google Talk, when it's running, is signed into Google and allows push email notifications. Or maybe I have no idea what I'm doing. Either way it works now that I leave it running. I just treid and stop it, no notifications, turned it on, they started again. Good luck to everyone, I know it can be annoying!