Gmail randomly opens to a recent email

cchhiipp

Reaction score
Often when I tap my Gmail icon, Gmail opens to one of my recent emails. Not usually the most recent one, which I might understand, but perhaps 4th or 5th most recent.

I'll navigate back to the inbox, then go back to my home screen. If I immediately go back to gmail, I get back to my inbox, but if I leave my droid alone for a while, then go back to Gmail, I'm back at that same email as before.

What gives?

JayMonster

Reaction score
I had this happen when I use the "Return to Inbox" from the menu. Instead I just now use the back button to get back to the inbox and that problem went away.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Often when I tap my Gmail icon, Gmail opens to one of my recent emails. Not usually the most recent one, which I might understand, but perhaps 4th or 5th most recent.

I'll navigate back to the inbox, then go back to my home screen. If I immediately go back to gmail, I get back to my inbox, but if I leave my droid alone for a while, then go back to Gmail, I'm back at that same email as before.

What gives?

If I'm understanding you correctly you are saying you tap on your gmail icon even though you haven't got a notification and it's taking you back 4 or 5 emails? Or do you get a notification and then tap on the icon?

If it's the latter what you should do is use the pull down notification and that will take you directly to the email you are being notified. If it's the former I guess it just takes you to whatever email you haven't told it what to do with yet (archive, delete, mark as unread).

OP
cchhiipp

cchhiipp

Reaction score
I think it's usually when I have not received a new email. When I'm going in to look at an old one.

It's not too consistent, though. Sometimes if I've recently gone home directly from the inbox, then back, it takes me back to the inbox. So if it were going to take me to the last un-dealt-with message, it would want to do that the same every time, right?

Also, I hope it's not the un-dealt-with thing. I haven't ever had a need to "archive" my email. Inbox has served me fine til now. I wouldn't want to start going and archiving everything just to "tidy up" my inbox, as gmail puts it.

pudah

Reaction score
Anyone figure this out? I was going to make a new thread because I've been annoyed by this since day 1 in November on all 3 of the Droids I've owned, but I found this.

What happens is, I read my email messages and there is nothing new in the inbox. I either hit the return to inbox button in the application, or hit the back button to the inbox (sometimes you cant do this because hitting back will pull you out of the app) and I exit the app, hit home, or switch to a new application while in the inbox view of the Gmail app. Next time I open the Gmail application it doesnt open to the inbox view, but directly to a message. Not a new message, but an old one that I've already read, and sometimes a messagve I've already archived, moved or deleted. Sometimes it will open to the inbox properly and I've yet to figure out a pattern as to why it does one thing some times and the other the rest of the time. It is really annoying though.

pudah

Reaction score
For all of you having this issue please visit http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=5686 and add a reply stating that you're having the issue and how it's happening for you. Also hit the star button and vote to have the issue looked at. Hopefully someone over at Google will figure this out if we get the thead at their code site enough attention.