Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
For the last few weeks (close to a month) I haven't been getting push notifications for my Gmail account on my phone.

I thought I read an article here saying it was on Google server side and no app update was needed. However it is still an issue for me.

Is anyone else still experiencing this? It is kind of driving me nuts. Most of the time I get alerted to the email hours after it arrived.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I remember that article as well. At the time I read it, I wasn't having any issues at all. I believe that may have even been before I sent my 6P out for repair. I switched to the backup S3 and still had no issue.

Since getting my 6P back, I've noticed issues with gmail sync. It still seems to be an issue for me for sure. It's not necessarily that it WON'T sync on my end though. It's more like it'll sync periodically or something instead of receiving push notifications. At most, I'm used to getting like 1-3 email notifications at a time. Now, I won't have any for a long time and then I'll have 9 or more out of nowhere.

It does seem to have improved a LITTLE bit since I first noticed it, but it's definitely still having issues. It's almost like it stutters or gets stuck or something and I'm not a fan either.

I just figured this is what I got for reading that article and being happy that I wasn't experiencing these issues...

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I've got 2 email addresses set up in the app and I'll get notified for one but not the other, and sometimes I won't get a notification until hours later.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've got 2 email addresses set up in the app and I'll get notified for one but not the other, and sometimes I won't get a notification until hours later.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Are they both gmail addresses? Like it says in the OP, this is supposed to be a server side issue, so it'd be interesting whether they're both gmail addresses or not.

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Well I took an update to Gmail today and it seems to have worked correctly all day. Hopefully it stays that way.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well, I was out of town today with spotty reception. Haven't checked yet for an update, but I just launched Gmail & manually refreshed it & got a couple emails from 3:30-4 this afternoon.

Like in the OP, I remember reading that the fix was supposed to happen on the server side, but I'll check for updates now that I'm home on WiFi.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Interesting...I've noticed this issue as well on my S6 for the past several weeks. Thought it might be the device, with all the other quirks I've had with it. Glad I'm not the only one missing push notifications. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I have had this issue on and off for a few months.. From what I understand, the lastest update should fix this issue..

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As long as I can remember I've had this issue on and off with my phones or tablets. What I've got now is my Note8 is getting notifications regularly but my phone, nearby and on the same Wi-Fi network, is not since the last update. The last gmail update also has detrimentally affected the battery life on the phone but not the tablet. I have no idea other than Samsung abandoned the Note8 long ago but my phone gets regular updates to the Samsung bloat as well as 2 Android firmware updates so I'm thinking fragmentation.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I can't remember when the last update to the Gmail app was, but I also felt that yesterday I got notifications in a timely manner. I wouldn't see an email notification in Chrome and not see it on my phone...things seemed to sync up. I didn't have to toggle the sync function on my phone (Galaxy S6).

I will continue to monitor this and see what happens today.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't remember when the last update to the Gmail app was, but I also felt that yesterday I got notifications in a timely manner. I wouldn't see an email notification in Chrome and not see it on my phone...things seemed to sync up. I didn't have to toggle the sync function on my phone (Galaxy S6).

I will continue to monitor this and see what happens today.
I got one a couple of weeks ago. Street View, Android Web Service (or whatever it's called) and gmail all got updates that day.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Again, the sync issue was said to be a server side problem. If that's truly the case, it doesn't matter how many updates the app gets. It'll be fixed when the issue is fixed on the server.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'm still having issue with mine on occasion. I won't get emails for a good 4-5 hours during the afternoon, then all of a sudden 8-10 of then will come through all at once. (Or if I manually check by swiping down within the inbox, then they'll show up) irritating...

S5 tap'n