Gmail notification sound - how to turn off?

jonpfl

Reaction score
All,

I want to be able to be notified of a text via a sound but how do I turn it off for gmail?

Everything on my phone is base

Thx
jonpfl

mattman5000

Reaction score
That setting is buried under several menus.

From within the gmail app go to Menu -> More -> Settings -> click on your account -> Labels to notify -> Inbox

Set Ringtone to "Silent"

OP
J

jonpfl

Reaction score

From within the gmail app go to Menu -> More -> Settings -> click on your account -> Labels to notify -> Inbox

Set Ringtone to "Silent"

Thx!!

Why it says "Labels to notify" instead of "Notification" is beyond me

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Thx!!

Why it says "Labels to notify" instead of "Notification" is beyond me

Perhaps it has something to do with the ability to create many labels in Gmail with filters to direct incoming mail to those labels and skip the inbox. Right now, on my D2, I only see Inbox and Priority Mail (turned off). It could be that one might create a label such as "Bills", and would like emails filtered to that label be accompanied by a notification sound, but not for other labels.
FWIW, I have most of my incoming emails filtered to different labels (skipping the inbox) and I'm not notified on my phone. I see them when I get around to it. Only email (mostly from friends) that goes to the inbox blinks a light on my phone without sound. Most email isn't urgent enough to demand immediate attention.

clarklori

Reaction score
Oh my goodness. I've been trying to figure out how to shut that off since I got the phone a week ago. :) I never would have figured it out. Thank you so much! It works!

DianeDennis

Reaction score
Thank you MattMan5000!!

Set Ringtone to "Silent"

Thank you so much for saving my sanity!! :) The Google help was of no help ... I followed your directions and voila no more sound!! Thank you again!! DancingNexus