Gmail Notification Problem

Telescopist

Reaction score
I have a MAXX v.2.3.6. Last Friday the phone quit notifying me when new emails came in. The problem persists. In Data Mgr. I have Data enabled, Background data checked too. Sync over Wi-Fi is not enabled. Well, I decided to see if Gremlins might have changed these settings but it wasn't the case. My internet connection kicks butt. I can access my Gmail acct. from the phone and see that new mail has arrived in the In Box. So what gives with the absence of notifications? I'm getting Text Msg. notifications. I love this OS but there is never a dull moment with it... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Under the settings of Gmail is it set to notify you on new emails?

OP
Telescopist

Telescopist

Reaction score
Under the settings of Gmail is it set to notify you on new emails?
I just went to my Gmail acct. on the PC. Went into Settings. I see that under the header 'Desktop Notifications' that 'New Mail Notifications On' is enabled. But, I'm wondering now if that is the setting you are referring to?? Maybe there is a setting on the MAXX that needs to be reset? I was looking around for such a setting earlier and 'it' did not run into me or viceversa.:blink: And here is something weird. I am getting a notification now up in tool bar one of those Google email icons with the red M. I can pull it down and it tells me that there are 26 new messages. But when I tap on it, it just disappears. It is a 'notification only'. I used to be able to open up my mail from a pull down off the tool bar. But somehow I lost that functionality. What a pain.

SallyC

Reaction score
With your Gmail application open, select Menu, More, Settings and select your account and scroll down to Email notifications and make sure it's checked.

Reaction score
I was wondering about the notification that the op is seeing. That does not sound like the standard gmail notification. I know mine is not red and does not show the number of emails. So, i was wondering if the op downloaded a third party notification app that shows the number but has hijacked the stock gmail notification.

Just a thought.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

SallyC

Reaction score
I was wondering about the notification that the op is seeing. That does not sound like the standard gmail notification. I know mine is not red and does not show the number of emails. So, i was wondering if the op downloaded a third party notification app that shows the number but has hijacked the stock gmail notification.

Just a thought.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

Yeah, I wondered about that too. Good thought. If he's still having problems, checking if another app - or maybe launcher? - is the culprit would be a good idea.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah, I wondered about that too. Good thought. If he's still having problems, checking if another app - or maybe launcher? - is the culprit would be a good idea.

Yeah if he uses Go notifications their Gmail notification is broken, could be what is wrong if he uses it that is.

OP
Telescopist

Telescopist

Reaction score
And if the problem persists after that, reboot your phone.

To Sally: Email notification was checked...
To Trash Can: I rebooted the phone then sent out a few test email. They immediately appeared on my Thunderbird email client that is synced to Gmail. Like instantly. Nothing on the phone. Yet. I haven't 'done anything' that I'm aware of between last Friday and now that would have caused this problem. The only way I can currently access mail is by opening up the application (Gmail). Click 'Inbox' at the top of the page. Which opens up another page with a header titled 'Labels'. Select 'All Mail'. Which loads all conversations. What a pain.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have a bit of an odd question, have you tried to clear the cache of the gmail app??

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

OP
Telescopist

Telescopist

Reaction score
I have a bit of an odd question, have you tried to clear the cache of the gmail app??
DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!
Thanks for the suggestion. I have App Cache Cleaner from where on the drop down, I selected Gmail There was about 748KB which I snuffed out. Then I emailed my gmail adr. from my Yahoo acct. Still no luck. Sorry for the trouble.

OP
Telescopist

Telescopist

Reaction score
Just to rule out any apps you've installed, have you tested this out after booting in Safe Mode?

Here's something I did just for yuks. I download an E-mail app called K-9. First I read some reviews. I like spending a portion of my life reading about other people's opinions regarding the stuff that we cannot live without...
It's a cool app and solved my problem immediately. Like any good email client, it pulls the my new msg. from Gmail. Has nice variety of sorting, and reply options. The main thing is at least now I'm getting notifications! I tried going into safe mode - thanks for the link! That also didn't work. I thank everyone for trying to help and spending the time with me on this. I'm cool with K-9. I'm getting to the point where it is possible for me to accept that some things are not worth pursuing anymore if there is a viable work around!

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
Which notification (sound, status bar,etc) was you having problems with?

I'm on my third Razr now & notification sounds for Gmail account for the blurmail app (the stock motor email app) doesn't work, I think I did status bar notifications though. Notification sounds worked on all accounts using K-9 (& various K-9 based apps) but push doesn't work on yahoo accounts. Gmail app seems to function well but is just to ugly to look at.

I'm currently using Maildroid, which your emails look nice like blurmail, notification sounds work for all accounts (can even set LED colors, status bar & vibration for each account), push works for yahoo, it supports split screen like Kaitlin(a K-9 based app).

Maildroid doesn't support swipe to next email like blurmail but does have arrow to next email(only in paid version which is over priced). Maildroid is also part of the long list of apps that go notification doesn't support but it doesn't seem to even work a lot of the time on ones that it should(Facebook). Also at this time Mobile Quickbooks won't fill emails with invoice info on maildroid (device is trying to see if something can be done on his side as he says QB has likely only set things on their end to fill K-9 based emails.

It doesn't seem like any email app does it all, but I really wish blurmail would give notification sounds for Gmail accounts as I like a lot about it's interface, but there's also a lot I don't like. It's great that it supports twitterbook(social network apps) in it's universal inbox box but I don't think I care for the drop box for accounts on the email part of blurmessaging, although it saves on user input when viewing default account it makes for more user input for us that have a lot of activity on multiple accounts. It's also not on the short list for go notifications. I did actually get Gmail notification sounds at one point but it was only during the time when I lost the ability to remove email accounts & I got notification sounds for all the other accounts at the same time no matter which account the new email was for.

With that said I think I'd probably just use the blurmail app if I could get the notification sounds to work on Gmail accounts. Hopefully this will be the case when we get ICS.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic & a bit long.