1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Gmail not synching

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by tennvol, Apr 24, 2010.

1. tennvol

tennvol New Member

For the last week or so my Gmail has not been synching on it's own. I've added/removed the accounts, made sure all the correct boxes are checked for notifications, removed a bunch of old programs, and freed up 47mb total on my phone. The problem still persists.

Ideas?
  2. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Are you using an automated task killer or anything that stops services/apps from running? If so, uninstall it and reboot.

No ATK and still not syncing? Go to phone settings > applications > manage applications > menu > filter > all > gmail storage > clear data
  3. tennvol

tennvol New Member

No ATK installed. The suggestion above worked, but less than 24 hours later it stopped synching again. Am I going to have to keep clearing out the storage? It's a major PITA to do so every day.
  4. porcelain

porcelain New Member

Is gtalk running? It has to be running in order for Gmail to sync right.

You can check by going into settings > applications > running services
  5. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Is there anything stuck in your gmail outbox? Probably not as you've deleted the data cache.

Are you sure that sync is on for your gmail account?
  6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

?????

I don't know where you heard that. I've never seen that before. Got a link to show where that's recommended?
  7. tennvol

tennvol New Member

I have never had gtalk running, and up until a week ago never had issues with synching (I bought my Droid the 2nd day it came out).

Nothing stuck in the outbox, and all accounts have synch turned on (just verified it).
  8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Usually when problems happen with gmail it's a matter of a setting (unless it's something like yahoo or hotmail).

Double check your settings using this as a guide:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...66-droid-hints-pop3-gmail-forwarding-you.html
  9. tennvol

tennvol New Member

I tried the above but it didn't seem to apply to me since I just have 4 separate gmail accounts, no pop3 accounts.

I had the sync working for about a day and then it suddenly stopped working. What gives? This is getting pretty annoying!
  10. porcelain

porcelain New Member

Numerous people on this forum and the Motorola forum told me that. I'm not sure where they all heard it or how accurate that is, it's just what they told me. I found that it actually fixed my problem. I used to always stop gtalk from running and ever since I've left it running, my gmail sync has worked perfectly.

No one has explained why they believe it needs to be running. However, if you're still interested, here are links to some threads on this forum where it's been mentioned:
    How long does your gmail sync last?

Gmail Won't Sync Droid

Here are a few threads from the Motorola forum:
    gtalk service always starts on startup?

moto droid w/2.1 update: mail sync slow?
  11. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Hey porcelain, what's up?

Just to be clear here, are you somehow stopping the gtalk service from running? If so, unistall whatever you're using to block services.

are you running stock os?
  12. rjax

rjax New Member

Also, see this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...23373-crap-gmail-isnt-syncing.html#post234580

It's only way toward the end where the gTalk service thing is discussed... starting at this post to be exact: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...23373-crap-gmail-isnt-syncing.html#post238945