GMail - new emails stopped showing up in inbox

bmd2k1

Reaction score
as of late last nite.....I'm no longer getting new emails to show up on my Droid in the gmail inbox. (working fine on gmail on my pc)

The Inbox count is staying accurate/updating...but no new emails.

I've tried:

- powering down/up and battery removal
- verified gmail sync is on...and forced sync (I can see the two circle arrows doing their thing)

- can't remove account because it's associated with other Droid apps...so it won't let me go any further

- went into manage apps - gmail and Cleared Data

Gmail is working fine on the web...I've made no changes and POP3 is NOT enabled.

Been on hold for Motorola Droid level 2 support for over an hour...... Level1 support suggests resetting to factory defaults. (Ouch)

Running gmail version 130
Firmware 2.0.1

Last edited:

JVSEDI

Reaction score
Hi I have had this same problem with my Droid since I got it (Nov. 6). Sometimes it will work, other times it won't. If I go into gmail on my phone and hit refesh then the email will come in. I've been sending myself hundreds of emails to test it to make sure it's working. I have called Verizon and they said they saw nothing on their end as to why it doesn't work and said it has to be a Google problem. There are numerous threads on this in the Google help forums under Mobile devices. I have not changed any settings and have checked and rechecked and everything is set correctly (both on my phone and on my PC). I power phone off and on, take out battery, but nothing fixes it. Finally about 2 weeks ago for whatever reason it was working flawlessly. Then I got the new update and had the problem all over again. It's been working for a couple days now.....but have no idea for how long. It's like it works when it feels like it. I have posted many times on the Google forum in hopes they will read that a lot of people are having this problem and try and fix it on their end. There is no phone number or no way to contact Google directly.....just on their forums. Returning it for another phone is not the answer either, as I do not believe it is in anyway a phone problem, but rather a gmail,Google issue. Other people have swapped their phones out only for it to happen again. Since I have had no other issues with my phone, I want to keep it for fear a new headset would open up a whole new set of issues. Sorry I cannot be of any assistance in telling you how to fix it, for I have no idea what made my email start working on it's own. Other people have done the factory reset. It will work initally but then stop working, so I have avoided doing this as well. If you ever get a firmative answer or fix for it, please post it. Thank you.

OP
B

bmd2k1

Reaction score
Interestingly enough......gmail started working again last night.....without me doing anything more.

So I'm not sure what the deal is. How is this thing architectured...are there google servers out there specifically responsible for gmail syncing to the DROID ??

suzukimethod

Reaction score
There have been reports of this before - search to see some of the cases.

Mine went out when I emailed myself (gmail to gmail) a PDF that I had scanned using a PDF scanner program (on the droid). Same exact problem you describe - and it was fixed (99.9%) sure when I went into my gmail and deleted the emails associated with the PDF scan. (i was 99.9% sure b/c the last email i received on my droid was the pdf scan, while the web kept receiving them) - once i cleared it out, they started coming back again.

I have no idea what would cause this behavior, but it does hint at the why...have you sent anything as an attachment using your gmail lately? If not, who knows, right?

OP
B

bmd2k1

Reaction score
come to think of it....I did try to send a couple of edited pics from the app -- PicSay...right before this issue started......and it was the first time I had tried it.

light3828

Reaction score
I have this exact same problem. I followed somebody's suggestion to clear all filter and that didn't fix it. I keep getting an error that the server won't accept my username or password, but it works fine on my laptop. But I don't know where to turn for help

jimnutt

Reaction score
You need to clear the gmail storage cache.

From the home screen:

Settings / Applications / Manage applications
Press the menu button and select "Filter", then "All"
Find "Gmail Storage" and select it
Press "Clear data", then home.

That will reset your local gmail cache and should get the mail flowing again

light3828

Reaction score
This did not fix my problem, although I did receive some gmail responses to this thread on my phone. But I still get "connection error" dialog when I try and sync it.

nanaki5282

Reaction score
I've had this same problem, and it happened after I tried sending an email that had 5 or so photos attached to it.

I cleared the the gmail storage cache as suggested by jimnutt, and it seems to be working fine now.

Thanks!

jd2009

Reaction score
Note the difference: clear "Gmail Storage" DATA, and not gmail cache

Just wanted to say thanks for this info! I had the same problem (after I tried to send an attachment to myself) and this is the first thing I've found that fixed it. Thanks!

Nounours

Reaction score
Maybe another solution....

Hi,

I think I found another solution and the reason why the problem occurs by the way :)
I had this exact problem with new mails not displayed in my Gmail inbox (although visible on the net) but at the same time, I had a message saying that my phone memory was a little low.
As I was afraid to "clear" the data from the Gmail app. so I tried it on the Yahoo mail app. and it could free up to 2,5Mb (seems a lot on a local memory of 500Mb). As soon as I did that, I opened the Gmail app. and it was refreshing and showing up the messages I could not get earlier. So I tried again to move a max of apps to my SD card but the current version of most of the soft I'm using do not allow to move them. So I have to stay aware about the amount of free memory available on the phone itself to avoid this king of problems (also upgrade and/or install issues of course).
I hope it helps.

Pathung

Reaction score
You need to clear the gmail storage cache.

From the home screen:

Settings / Applications / Manage applications
Press the menu button and select "Filter", then "All"
Find "Gmail Storage" and select it
Press "Clear data", then home.

That will reset your local gmail cache and should get the mail flowing again

After getting to the above location, I cleared cache (which had a few megabytes of data in it) - we'll see if this works. I've also noted that Data had only 24 kbps in it; I'm leaving it untouched to see first if clearing the cache works.

After clearing cache, Gmail quickly sync'ed my e-mails right away; let's see if this holds out from here on out.