Gmail issue

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by FauxReal, Oct 8, 2010.

1. FauxReal

FauxReal New Member

So when I bought my Droid I didnt have a Gmail account set up. So the Verizon rep took it upon herself to set one up for me. The problem is she didnt tell me the password or the email address she associated with the acct. So when install a custom rom I don't know my password or anything to get in my Gmail acct. to sync everything. As of now I can still access it on my phone, unfortunately Google doesnt have actual support in their forums or anyone I can talk too, so I am wondering if there is perhaps a backdoor way I can access the stored password on my phone? Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance
  2. cshotter

cshotter New Member

Just throwing it out there, but did you try going to www.gmail.com and go through their prompts to recover password?
  3. FauxReal

FauxReal New Member

Yes, but because I dont have any idea what email address is associated with the acct, they cant send me anything to verify ownership of the acct. I have gone through about 12 times to be honest. Googles support is a complete joke. I actually have access to the acct on my phone, but nothing I can do for them is good enough to verify I am the owner of the acct because I have so little info.
  4. cshotter

cshotter New Member

So far I have found the accounts.db on the phone. If you are rooted, install Root Explorer (Trust me worth the money) and you will be able to search for the file. Some sources say that the password is unencrypted, but I am working on that now. You will want to search for the file accounts.db and it is located at /data/system/accounts.db

Update: Things aren't looking good for you to go this route... http://forum.androidcentral.com/hacking/35470-aware-clear-text-passwords-database-files.html
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  5. FauxReal

FauxReal New Member

Sweet, I really appreciate the quick responses. I am more than willing to spend the money to get Root Explorer, but I guess I would like to know for sure I will be able to obtain the necessary info before I do. Please keep me posted on what you find. I am not sure I would really even know where to start looking in there for it myself.
  6. cshotter

cshotter New Member

Just wondering. Is it crucial for you to have this Gmail account? Would you be willing to instead just set up a new account?
  7. FauxReal

FauxReal New Member

I have actually already set up a new one. However all my apps and things are synced to the first one set up on the phone. The other I set up will not show that I have already bought my paid apps in the market and requires me to again, Slingplayer alone was $30, rather not have to buy all of them over again. I have read into Astro and Titanium for backing up the apps have, but not sure if its the route I should take. Also thought I remember reading if I take that route it will install them back on the phone but the market wont see that I have them, thus no updates. But I could be wrong.
  8. cshotter

cshotter New Member

I know from experience that I have backed my apps up onto my SDCard and then when I installed a new rom that I had everything reinstalled instantly. I use Astro and it was a piece of cake. As far as the updates I am not entirely sure. Something that you might be able to do is 1.) Manually download the updated versions and install them through a .apk installer or 2.) Open up the application and manually search for updates and see if they will download and install 3.) By some magic they still push you updates. I am not very versed though in the adverse effects of all of this though because I have kept my Gmail account.
  9. FauxReal

FauxReal New Member

Ok maybe I will just give that a go. If you happen to come accross anything more in Root Explorer let me know. I am just getting off work, but I will be back on here in about 20mins when I get home. Thanks again for your help so far!
  10. forkup

forkup New Member

If you actually sent any emails thru the account contact one of the people you emailed and ask them what address it was from.
  11. FauxReal

FauxReal New Member

I have the email address, it's the password for it and the email acct associated with it I do not have. You need one of the two to be able to reset the password through Google.
  12. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Have you thought about going back to the VZW rep to find out the particulars for this gmail account to get the required settings? That would be the ONLY right way to do it, IMHO and keep EVERYTHING on the up and up.

Anything else just doesn't smell right to me . . . .

good luck