Gmail is delivered to Droid 2 instead of

dnomyar1

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Since I bought my Droid 2 a few months ago, I've noticed that any gmail I receive goes directly to my Droid and NOT my email account on the PC. Not sure if there is a setting or something I am overlooking(?)

I would like to have a "copy" on each device - that way if I inadvertently delete an email from my phone, I'll still have it on the gmail site I can access via the PC.

If anyone has any ideas, they would be more than welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Since I bought my Droid 2 a few months ago, I've noticed that any gmail I receive goes directly to my Droid and NOT my email account on the PC. Not sure if there is a setting or something I am overlooking(?)

I would like to have a "copy" on each device - that way if I inadvertently delete an email from my phone, I'll still have it on the gmail site I can access via the PC.

If anyone has any ideas, they would be more than welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

What do you mean by your email account on the PC? If you're talking about gmail you access that at www.gmail.com. You can get a notifier for your computer when mail arrives.

And if you do delete any gmail you can always get it out of the trash.

Or are you talking about something like Outlook?

mewshi

Reaction score
There's actually a pretty simple fix for this. Stop using POP3 and start using IMAP.

Switching to IMAP is pretty painless, and, depending on the e-mail client you're using, you can probably find very detailed instructions on the gmail help page. If you need any help, feel free to ask! ^_^

OP
D

dnomyar1

Reaction score
Hello - and thank you both for the reply's. I guess I didn't explain the problem very well. What is going on is this: I receive several emails a day from various websites to my gmail account. I have always retrieved them from my computer. However, since my Droid was set up using my gmail email, all the email comes to the phone - not to the computer. I want it to be the other way around - any emails should go to the gmail on my computer.

I realize a gmail account is a gmail account and the only difference is the way I am receiving the messages, but there are some I want to keep on the computer and NOT have come to the phone. I seem to have no choice though, whenever a message comes through my gmail account, it goes directly to my Droid - not my computer.

I hope this makes more sense. I like to have all email on the PC - if I want to forward it to the Droid, I can do that myself . . . I don't like not having the choice of mail going to the Droid first.

Thanks in advance.

Ray

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's why switching to IMAP from POP3 was recommended to you. Doing this will ensure that your inboxes are synchronized; what appears on your Droid will also appear on your PC.

Barristro

Reaction score
What is going on is this: I receive several emails a day from various websites to my gmail account. I have always retrieved them from my computer. However, since my Droid was set up using my gmail email, all the email comes to the phone - not to the computer. I want it to be the other way around - any emails should go to the gmail on my computer.

I hope this makes more sense. Ray

Well, no, not really. The phone is basically an email reader. It does NOT download emails off of the server. Frankly, that's how your computer works too. Your gmail is still all on gmail's website.

My guess is that, after reading your email on your phone, you press the checkbox next to the email and archive it. That tags the email and puts it in a different folder in your gmail site. Or else you delete it straight from your phone. It may also be possible that you have your gmail account is set up to delete your messages upon reading (from any source).

pool_shark

Reaction score
There's actually a pretty simple fix for this. Stop using POP3 and start using IMAP.

Switching to IMAP is pretty painless, and, depending on the e-mail client you're using, you can probably find very detailed instructions on the gmail help page. If you need any help, feel free to ask! ^_^

Not all ISP's support imap in which case switching to imap is not possible.

_Killer_

Reaction score
Hello - and thank you both for the reply's. I guess I didn't explain the problem very well. What is going on is this: I receive several emails a day from various websites to my gmail account. I have always retrieved them from my computer. However, since my Droid was set up using my gmail email, all the email comes to the phone - not to the computer. I want it to be the other way around - any emails should go to the gmail on my computer.

I realize a gmail account is a gmail account and the only difference is the way I am receiving the messages, but there are some I want to keep on the computer and NOT have come to the phone. I seem to have no choice though, whenever a message comes through my gmail account, it goes directly to my Droid - not my computer.

I hope this makes more sense. I like to have all email on the PC - if I want to forward it to the Droid, I can do that myself . . . I don't like not having the choice of mail going to the Droid first.

Thanks in advance.

Ray

your emails aren't being forwarded to your phone.. OR your pc! They are stored in your gmail inbox which can be accessed by either your phone OR your pc.... if you DON'T want to read them from your phone then simply DON'T and turn off your gmail notifications on your phone.. this way you'll never know until you check your inbox from your pc if you have any mail or not..

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
your emails aren't being forwarded to your phone.. OR your pc! They are stored in your gmail inbox which can be accessed by either your phone OR your pc....

As said by others above the problem is not gMail but your understanding of what's happening. The only way to really get the results you want would be to create folders (e.g. labeled 'phone' and 'pc') and set filters on from gMail settings and have the emails sorted automatically to the proper folders (considering you know the senders or subjects ect.). Then set your phone to only check the 'phone' folder and your computer email client (assuming your using one) to check the pc folder. That's about the best your going to get. Just keep in mind you'll likely have to create several filters and keep up with the keys/criteria to keep them working correctly. Alternatively you could just create the 'Phone' folder and handle all email from your computer and just manually sort the emails you want into the folder so you can access them via the phone.

D

dankarlinski

i think i have an idea of what the OP means. i have my gmail on my droid 2. if i log onto gmail.com or look in my gmail app on my phone, the folders, inbox, etc are all synced. this is what you want, correct?

TheRealKrobar

Reaction score
I've noticed I'll get notifications about new emails on my D2 before they show up on the web if I have the window open already (usually as a background tab while I'm surfing something else at work or home) but yes, both have access to the same database which has your emails on both, check your archive folder as you most likely have archived them there.

Now, if you're not using the stock gmail app then yeah maybe you have imap set up to access your gmail, but, and no offense intended, you don't sound like the type of person who is doing that :)

OP
D

dnomyar1

Reaction score
Hello - and thanks to both posts . . . dankarlinski, I really don't want the mail to sync - I simply want my email to go to the account I access on my PC. I didn't set the gmail account up - the guy at the store did. I'd like to be notified of an email, then open the gmail app if I want, or wait until I have access to the PC (which is where I want to keep all my email).

TheRealKrobar First - no offense taken . . . I have NO idea what you are talking about so . . . you're right, I'm not the type person that set up imap.

The problem I'm having is the email goes directly to the Droid - there is no record of it in my gmail account when accessed on my PC. I can forward it BACK to gmail (which I do if it is important) but I'd rather just have my email go to my account and be notified on the Droid when an email is received. Again, that way I can go in (if I choose) and read the email.

Again, thanks to both of you for the responses.

OP
D

dnomyar1

Reaction score
Hey Killer - I get that part (like I said in my post - I realize I'm getting the email by different means, phone or PC) . . . shutting off the gmail notifications on the phone itself may be a good idea - do you know if any "important" email from Droid or Verizon comes to that account?

Thanks again for the replies - EVERYONE!!

mewshi

Reaction score
How are you accessing gmail on your PC? Is it an email client (thunderbird, outlook, etc) or the web client (gmail.com)?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App