GMail for Android now a downloadable app

J

JohnDroid

gmail-android-app-updated.jpg

Gmail is one of the most widely used (and polished) apps available for the Android platform. It is included in every phone. Now however, it is also a downloadable app. Which means you'll be able to take advantage of each and every incremental update that Google has to offer on this fine product.

What are you going to get with the latest update you might ask?

• Priority Inbox
  • Show Quoted Text Capability
  • Floating Message Actions (saves time)

Just to name a few. This is great news and assures that you'll have the latest and greatest in your inbox.

(Source: Google)

Droidfish

Reaction score
Nice, I was wondering why it was in the market, downloaded without even thinking about it. Best part... Priority Inbox

Thanks JohnDroid

crackedvenom

Reaction score
wondering why i hadnt recieved it. just checked and its there. going to look at it now.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
It appearred and downloaded fine but install was unsuccessful - seems like the same problem I had with google maps update after doing my own froyo update. Anyone have a solution yet?

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
if its a downloadle app they should let us UNINSTALL is...i hate it when they do this

geekabilly

Reaction score
It appearred and downloaded fine but install was unsuccessful - seems like the same problem I had with google maps update after doing my own froyo update. Anyone have a solution yet?

Yes -- you have to remove Gmail via command line & then reboot & install -- just did it, works great

chewy74

Reaction score
gmail is packaged in most ROMs as a system app...so you have to remove it with terminal emulator or root explorer, reboot and install should be fine

if its a downloadle app they should let us UNINSTALL is...i hate it when they do this

HamDog

Reaction score
Just downloaded it and there was no need to remove the old version. Installed on top of old version and the same icon launched the new gmail. I'm using the original Droid with 2.2 and rooted (no custom rom or kernel).

But gmail is still missing one major feature: The ability to send e-mails from another address (like one of my pop3 addresses). It will only send from the gmail address. I really wish they would allow us to change the "sent from" field sometime in the near future.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
It you are using Titanium Backup, it's easier to remove gmail

Got the same error about 8 hours ago. Use titanium backup to delete it. If you don’t have this, it is free in the market. Once you remove gmail 2.2, you must restart before you attempt to download and successfully install it. Conventional removal of the gmail app won't work because it is tied into the OS. All the other previously mentioned methods should do the trick as well, but this one I believe is probably the most user friendly.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Just downloaded it and there was no need to remove the old version. Installed on top of old version and the same icon launched the new gmail. I'm using the original Droid with 2.2 and rooted (no custom rom or kernel).

But gmail is still missing one major feature: The ability to send e-mails from another address (like one of my pop3 addresses). It will only send from the gmail address. I really wish they would allow us to change the "sent from" field sometime in the near future.

For unknown reasons to most of us, not everyone can update all apps over the top of previous ones.

geekabilly

Reaction score
What's New Message Getting Old

Hi:

I uninstall-ed 2.2.1 via command line and 2.3 installed & runs just fine -- only problem is that every time I launch Gmail, I get the "What's new in Gmail?" message box popping up ---

Anyone else see this message box recurring? Any idea how to shut it off?

Running Sapphire 1.1.0 & LauncherPro

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
gmail is packaged in most ROMs as a system app...so you have to remove it with terminal emulator or root explorer, reboot and install should be fine

i know but i mean like after i downloaded some apps to my droid 1, like google goggles, it wouldnt let me uninstall them =[