Gmail Contact Groups Not Syncing to Droid Contacts

GLK

Reaction score
I had an Incredible for a few weeks but decided to try-out the Droid X.
On the Incredible, the contact groups I had created in gmail synced over to the Incredible. On the X, the gmail groups are not syncing over. It appears you have to create groups separately on the X.

Is this action not possible? Seems like it should be since it worked on the Incredible.

Any help would be appreciated. Are there any third party apps that will help with this issue?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had an Incredible for a few weeks but decided to try-out the Droid X.
On the Incredible, the contact groups I had created in gmail synced over to the Incredible. On the X, the gmail groups are not syncing over. It appears you have to create groups separately on the X.

Is this action not possible? Seems like it should be since it worked on the Incredible.

Any help would be appreciated. Are there any third party apps that will help with this issue?

What does it look like in Gmail on line? And when you created the groups on the X how did you do it.

It should just sync right over if it looks right in gmail.

OP
G

GLK

Reaction score
Gmail Groups on X

On my gmail account, I created sub-groups and assigned certain people to those sub-groups, i.e. Family, Co-workers, etc. Although all the contacts in gmail seem to sync fine with the X, the groups do not get synced over. They did with the Droid Incredible.

On the X, if you select display groups, it allows you to create a new group but is does not show the groups I created in the online gmail account.

On the Incredible, there is a tab in the contacts that actually shows the groups I created on my gmail account. This does not seem to be an option on the X (unless the groups are created on the X.)

Seapup

Reaction score
On my gmail account, I created sub-groups and assigned certain people to those sub-groups, i.e. Family, Co-workers, etc. Although all the contacts in gmail seem to sync fine with the X, the groups do not get synced over. They did with the Droid Incredible.

On the X, if you select display groups, it allows you to create a new group but is does not show the groups I created in the online gmail account.

On the Incredible, there is a tab in the contacts that actually shows the groups I created on my gmail account. This does not seem to be an option on the X (unless the groups are created on the X.)

You're correct. It appears that the MotoBlur guys forgot about Gmail group synch. I just manually duplicated all my Gmail groups through my X's MotoBlur and assigned the contacts to MotoBlur groups on the phone. In the future, when I add a new contact, I'll have to log in to Gmail through a browser and make the same change. :frown:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Seapup

Reaction score

That doesn't help... Gmail groups are not synch'd to the X.

Sorry. I don't have the X and that was the best I could find. Still not a lot of information out there.

This is a puzzle, it should just sync over.

No prob Hook. :) I'm not sure if the lack of group sync was an oversight or intentional, but for those of us who frequently use Gmail groups for contacts, email, etc.... this sucks. Hopefully, a fix will be out soon.

PCKeelin

Reaction score
contact groups

Thanks for the info, I thought it was me not able to figure it out. I use gsyncit and it took my outlook contacts and created the gmail contact groups but I have not been able to sync those with the droid x, everything else is working fine.

Reaction score
This can probably be filed under useless post.

But, groups were synced on my X. *I could select 'Contacts', select the title bar, select the gmail group I wanted to view, and see the people that I expected to see. *I say were, because I just did a factory reset to resolve battery and Display issues (too lazy to remove apps in an organized manner).

AND... I no longer can sync groups.

So it must be possible. *This was not my imagination. *I just don't know what triggered it to work. *Will update if / when behavior changes.

wouldwrkr

Reaction score
This may seem obvious to some, but the sync contacts should be checked in the g-mail data and synchronization menu.
Choose my accounts-gmail(account)-check the boxes you want to sync

Reaction score
This may seem obvious to some, but the sync contacts should be checked in the g-mail data and synchronization menu.
Choose my accounts-gmail(account)-check the boxes you want to sync

Contacts are being synced. *Group membership of contacts is not.

I still have not discovered what allowed me to sync my groups. *Still looking..

gdan7

Reaction score
No - my contact groups are not syncing and it's frustrating.... First name first only option in contacts on my phone and no group syncing from my gmail account? I thought my iPhone was frustrating... the phone service was terrible but at least everything synced easily. Any solutions out there?