Gmail, Blacked Out..... Now it's DARK... UPDATED 1/8

Jer

Reaction score
Hopefully whoever does the new Gmail also does the message screen too. I loved the last inverted Gmail but whenever I opened a message and the whole screen went white it was annoying. Now that I've been upgraded to the new version of Gmail I'm reminded of how annoying the whole thing being white is.

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sorry, message screen won't be white.. That's not in the xmls... its buried somewhere in the 100 smali files....:icon_eek:

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks man, i will give that a look... yeah, not being able to fully decompile sucks!

Here's a PM from Mbk on how to successfully decompile SystemUI.apk and compile it... so now any changes needed can be performed...

"Yeah not that much to edit, but it sure is better knowing that you can decompile/recompile it... anyways I've tested and verified it to work with APKManager following what I'll explain...
OK... some guy at XDA was tinkering with apktool.jar and noted that this command helped with decompiling the SystemUI.apk... has to do with the certificate signature already in use with the framework-res.apk or to that effect, thus erroring out when trying to decompile SystemUI...

my suggestion is to copy your apktool.jar from the apkmanager 'others' folder to your C drives root directory, so you have it available in both places and much easier than typing on the full path for it when you run this command...

I also had the framework-res.apk and the SystemUi.apk in the C directory as well so that apktool sees them...

then run

java -jar apktool.jar if framework-res.apk

then

java -jar apktool.jar d SystemUI.apk decompiled

Once that's done you should be able to run APKManager as usual and it'll decompile the SystemUI.apk without errors... and it should always be able to decompile that apk from that point on, so you can get rid of the framework, SystemUI.apks, and the decompiled folder from the C directory and it will still decomp[ile in APKManager properly from that point on...

Give it a whirl and let me know.... I am 100% certain it'll work for you guys as well...:) "

Hope this help anyone theming a ROM that has issues witht the shade_bg.png..... and thanks to Mbk for the find and fix...

EDIT: Yank, this might be an issue for you and gmail also.. the signed/unsigned line... not sure tho...

Last edited:

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Awesome!! Thanks B-boy and Mbk!! Good stuff!

Think my Gmail thing was due to the fact I hadn't updated my SDK in a while. Once I did that Gmail was OK. Now SystemUI on the other hand :D Gonna have to give this a try!

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah there isn't much to edit in SystemUI but there are a few roms that point to the #cc000000 so if a themer were to release a theme with a working, transparent pulldown on a ROM that nobody else could figure out, that'd give us a nice knotch on the belt.... lol

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Unless they come across this thread that is :p

I'll delete my posts.... lol.jk.... well we're a step ahead... I could port a theme to liquid in 20 minutes with the fix, but work calls and I drive 400 miles so it'll be one of you that pulls is off.... plus my Java stuff is wacky so I dunno if I could get it to work correctly.....

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hey ecsnead, have you ever or is there a full inverted gmail?... like the messages area that's white.... has it ever been inverted on previous gmails?

davros

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Hey ecsnead, have you ever or is there a full inverted gmail?... like the messages area that's white.... has it ever been inverted on previous gmails?

I've never seen one, always wanted the emails ti be inverted also.

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Crud.... it'd be a lot easier if there was a 'cheat sheet'.... lol... well I'll dig in tonight after work and see if anything looks like it'll do it... then I'll give it to ecsnead to finish.. IF I even find anything.... lots of lines in lots of smali files = not much fun.... haha

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
B-boy, that change is either in smali or unchangeble.... I have never been able to find it along with a way to change the button text inside emails... If you find it I will forever look upon you as "THE MAN"!!!!! :)

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hahahaha.... well I'll def give it a shot.... its inverted on other email apps tho,right?... no guarantees but I'll give it my best and hopefully we can find it.... might just take a little time..... I haven't messed with gmail much but can you change the text color in the message area?....