gmail app won't send

agemme27

Reaction score
for some reason it wont send anything. It puts everything in the outbox and shows sending.... any suggestions?

mantis5

Reaction score
That happened to me last night. I turned off Droid, removed battery for 30 seconds, put the battery back in and powered up and my message sent. I don't know why it happened, though.

brianr0131

Reaction score
go to settings then application then filter all then select gmail and gmail storage individually and clear data on each.

This will fix you up.

The battery pull won't help.

Jedijesus95

Reaction score
go to settings then application then filter all then select gmail and gmail storage individually and clear data on each.

This will fix you up.

The battery pull won't help.

This works great. I have had to do it twice. I have no idea what causes it.

brucewagner

Reaction score
The Problem, The Solution

The Solution: The method of clearing the data for both the Gmail and the Gmail Data apps, described above, works every time.

The Cause: I believe I may have discovered the cause. Someone somewhere mentioned that they suspected it might be a file locking issue. In my case, I use an app called TapeMachine Recorder. I record a voice message, then select Share, then via Gmail. I now believe the cause of the problem was that the app still remains open with a copy of the same file open. And I get the "hung on Sending forever" situation.

Now, I follow the same steps, but.... as soon as I send the file via Gmail, I immediately open a new blank document (select New Recording) - effectively closing the current recording file - and bingo! I haven't had the problem again since.

Conclusion: Whenever you send something out as a Gmail attachment, be careful to then immediately close that document -- or make sure that any apps that may have it open, close it. Remember, on Android, apps don't close.... so exiting the app is not enough to close the document (file) that the app has open. You must explicitly close the file within the app... or open a new file within the app.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Solution: The method of clearing the data for both the Gmail and the Gmail Data apps, described above, works every time.

The Cause: I believe I may have discovered the cause. Someone somewhere mentioned that they suspected it might be a file locking issue. In my case, I use an app called TapeMachine Recorder. I record a voice message, then select Share, then via Gmail. I now believe the cause of the problem was that the app still remains open with a copy of the same file open. And I get the "hung on Sending forever" situation.

Now, I follow the same steps, but.... as soon as I send the file via Gmail, I immediately open a new blank document (select New Recording) - effectively closing the current recording file - and bingo! I haven't had the problem again since.

Conclusion: Whenever you send something out as a Gmail attachment, be careful to then immediately close that document -- or make sure that any apps that may have it open, close it. Remember, on Android, apps don't close.... so exiting the app is not enough to close the document (file) that the app has open. You must explicitly close the file within the app... or open a new file within the app.

Good catch! One of the weaknesses of the Android ecosystem is that app developers are largely free to write bad apps with little quality control to compensate. And in my experience at least, most problems stem from interactions between apps or between apps and the o/s.

And while the "clear data" approach is a viable workaround, it's hardly an approach an average user can be expected to use. Nor, of course, does it prevent the problem from recurring.

Olivier

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I'm the developer of TapeMachine which was just mentioned above.

@brucewagner: So, first I can't reproduce this issue here. I can send audio files with GMail, without going through the "New recording" step. It works fine. There must be something else happening. Basically, I've heard about people having such problems, and it's likely to be caused by sending big (like over 5MB) files. The real solution to this problem is encoding support in TapeMachine , such as OGG Vorbis, which will actually happen soon.

@jsh1120: I know what you mean about the "Android ecosystem", but TapeMachine isn't a bad app.. Try it before you judge it ;-)

A bit more technically, Android is a Linux system, which means: no mandatory file locks. It's not Windows, where you sometimes have to reboot to clear a lock. Linux behaves very differently, and much smarter in my opinion.

Also, I pay tremendous attention to such things as closing files properly, releasing memory, etc... But things are not so simple. The TapeMachine engine runs as a background service, and doesn't shutdown as soon as you exit TapeMachine, for performance and usability reasons. There is a small timeout (10s currently).

The files are very frequently flushed though, so that there should be no risk to send corrupted data when using GMail, etc.. And anyway, file locks are irrelevant here.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I'm the developer of TapeMachine which was just mentioned above.

@jsh1120: I know what you mean about the "Android ecosystem", but TapeMachine isn't a bad app.. Try it before you judge it ;-)

Olivier,

My apologies. Bad wording on my part. Didn't mean to slam your product. In fact, my criticism (such as it was) was directed toward gmail and what appears to be ungraceful handling of an error condition.

mobilityguy

Reaction score
It's interesting that you got the error with an audio app. I just had the same problem after trying to dictate a gmail message using the native Android voice entry. Maybe the problem is with sound file processing in general?

I'm running CM7.0.3 on a Nexus One.