Gmail and events

Malkavian

Reaction score
I've got something interesting that I don't know if I have noticed before. When I receive an event the web app shows my event and adds it automatically to my calendar. This is fine, but when I view the email in the gmail app on my phone I don't see the event information. Is there a setting I'm missing? I don't have an option to show images, thinking it is an image.

Any one got any ideas on what might be missing?

Thanks.
Michael

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not sure on that one. I know when I get emails about meetings, Google now will ask if I'd like to be reminded of them, but I don't think I've ever actually received an event invite through Gmail.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
When I receive invite emails through the G Mail app, the e mail contains most all of the event data. I can see enough of the event to decide whether to accept it or not.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
M

Malkavian

Reaction score
I think I figured out the difference. When I receive an invite from a Google Calender or someone using a Google Calender the invite information is in the email. It seems that invites from Outlook do not show up. I still need to test this again.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think I figured out the difference. When I receive an invite from a Google Calender or someone using a Google Calender the invite information is in the email. It seems that invites from Outlook do not show up. I still need to test this again.
That kinda makes since. I'm sure they have different formats/code behind them.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Its been a while since I received an Outlook invite in my G Mail...but I do remember that message looking different.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Now you've got me curious. If you don't figure this out tonight, I'll send myself an invite from Outlook at work tomorrow.

If I was really ambitious, I'd remote in & do it now, but... You know...

OP
M

Malkavian

Reaction score
I sent myself an invite from Outlook and all my Gmail app did is show the invite.ics file. I wonder if I'm missing a setting.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I sent myself an invite from Outlook and all my Gmail app did is show the invite.ics file. I wonder if I'm missing a setting.
That's what I remember...just and ICS file. I think I have to open those from G Mail on my PC to be able to import into my calendar. Will try again tomorrow also...use Outlook at work.

OP
M

Malkavian

Reaction score
I don't actually have to open the invites, I have gmail set to automatically send invites to my calender, so that is working. I just doesn't show anything in the email that is received in the app. The web app looks fine.

Crf450r420

Reaction score
When will they all work together. I have some friends that are sheep and I'd still invite them to events. Sure would be nice if they would get a standard that works on all platforms so the devices that are too connect with actually could help plan face to face interactions.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't actually have to open the invites, I have gmail set to automatically send invites to my calender, so that is working. I just doesn't show anything in the email that is received in the app. The web app looks fine.

Yep...same thing here. I have not sent myself an invite from Outlook for a while, but just did this morning to test it. Just like you said...the invite was automatically added to my calendar when I opened the message from my phone using the G Mail app. But from my phone, I cannot see the invite details...only and ics file. But, if you click on the ics file it should download & open (maybe asking which app you want to open with) and then the invite opened with my Calendar app and I could see all of the details. The G Mail app on the phone is a little different than the web / PC version, but this is normal functionality for the G Mail app. It has been this way on every Droid I have owned.