Gmail and Android help

krazzyjman

Reaction score
The email account that I initially set up my Droid X with, I no longer use. Can I change the account? And if I do will I lose all of my information?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
The email account that I initially set up my Droid X with, I no longer use. Can I change the account? And if I do will I lose all of my information?

You will lose contacts, calendar and apps that were associated with the previous account...and I believe you have to do a factory reset to get rid of the primary account

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to back up all of that information?

apps no and calendar i dont think...contacts you can go to google.com/contacts and export the list, and then import it into your new email

for the calendar you can see if it has an export option

OP
krazzyjman

krazzyjman

Reaction score
Ok, and how do I sync all of my contacts with google? Cause when I go there, it only has a couple

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, and how do I sync all of my contacts with google? Cause when I go there, it only has a couple

whatever contacts you create on your phone should show in your google account...the original google account that you're trying to delete...

harrellj

Reaction score
One note, the phone doesn't care if you have multiple accounts on it (I have 4 gmail accounts personally). Also, with the contacts, double-check the group memberships.

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
One note, the phone doesn't care if you have multiple accounts on it (I have 4 gmail accounts personally). Also, with the contacts, double-check the group memberships.

right, but the primary account controls the apps, and the calendar. if the OP wanted to switch over to the gmail account he uses most and make it primary he'd have to delete the current one

EDIT: Stand corrected on Calendar...that can be synced in a subaccount.

So OP you really don't have to delete the main account if you didnt want to...

OP
krazzyjman

krazzyjman

Reaction score
Well I want to change my primary account. What would toy all recommend the best way to do it to minimize data loss
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

harrellj

Reaction score
Well I want to change my primary account. What would toy all recommend the best way to do it to minimize data loss
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Biggest question, have you purchased any apps? If not, export whatever you want from Google online, backup whatever settings in your apps, and backup the list of apps (sync it with AppBrain if you want). Do a factory restore and import everything back into place.

If you have purchased an app, add your new account as a secondary onto the phone. Feel free to enable sync on everything and disable sync on old account. Export contacts/calendar and re-import to new calendar. Disable notifications for old account and configure notifications for new account.

harrellj

Reaction score
As a shortened verdion, option 1 is cleaner but has a potential for data loss if you miss something when backing up. It is also the most time consuming. Option 2 allows you to keep using your phone with minimal data loss since you aren't deleting anything.