Gluing on speaker covers

Discussion in 'HTC One (M7)' started by Dweib, Apr 1, 2015.

1. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,513
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    The black is the most like the adhesive under tape on all of my extensive speaker rebuilds.. That's why I suggest it.. Works on my Peavy amps.. Works on my fender amps and my marshals...

2. Dweib

Dweib Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Keep in mind this is NOT a large guitar amp, my friend. Just out in the garage looking at my tube. And Permatex Form A Gasket #2 > Gasket Sealant at AutoZone.com - Best Gasket Sealant Parts for Cars Trucks SUVS is really not an adhesive at all. Read the description. Not the right stuff. Do you know what your talking about?? Unless your really referring to this > Sealant at AutoZone.com - Best Sealant Parts for Cars Trucks SUVS So which is it? There is also this stuff > Sealant at AutoZone.com - Best Sealant Parts for Cars Trucks SUVS Came across this which I may try as well > Mirror Adhesive at AutoZone.com - Best Mirror Adhesive Parts for Cars Trucks SUVS This also looks quite interesting and may be just the ticket > Sealant at AutoZone.com - Best Sealant Parts for Cars Trucks SUVS I must only apply to the edges as I dare not get any on the fine mesh screen so spray adhesives are out. Although I could easily mask off what I don't want glue on and I do have an excellent Loctite product right here. So how did a guitar amp guy come across my post in the first place? Seems a bit odd. And unless you've worked on these phones, not sure why your bothering. But I suppose it's like attaching a metal label or emblem to one your amps. In that case you'd use a contact adhesive which is what I'm probably going to wind up using here.

#26 Dweib, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  3. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,513
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    Do I know what I'm talking about???? Have you been reading? This is new ground to us.. I've never sealed a speaker enclosure on a phone.. I'm relatively sure @FoxKat hasn't either.. However I have years of pro sound equipment experience.... We're trying our best to help you.. And your description has been varying... We're doing all we can... But it appears that you've found something that may work for you...

Try some out on something similar to what you're going to be using it on... Trial and error... I would do this no matter what ANYONE recommended.. Because material can vary.. Results as well.. Good day.

• Like Like x 2
  4. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,270
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    As 94lt1 pointed out we're in uncharted territories here, I've never had to reattach a speaker cover on a phone before, I only know the composition of one half of the surfaces to be adhered, being Aluminum and I'm assuming the other half is plastic. As I stated earlier, I would look at the original cover which you must have removed and see what type of adhesive system is used and then try to mimic that system as best you can. I might go with simple Scotch double sided tape and cut to fit. You're likely to have far less issues with it, and you need not worry at all about spillover or bleed of adhesives.

It's important to determine what surfaces will actually be touching that can provide adhesive function. You may not need to use all that much tape to accomplish the goal, and too much tape will result in improper fit.

#28 FoxKat, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  5. bruben7886

bruben7886 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +1,789
    94lt1, FoxKat:
    You guys define gentlemanly patience and restraint.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Dweib

Dweib Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Jobs done. Once again I've no idea how my simple targeted query apparently got in the wrong forum(s). I was seeking a specific answer to a specific question from someone well familiar with the subject at hand: the repair of the HTC One m7 smart phone. Not general suggestions. I already have a whole drawer full of those. Anyway, it's been an interesting conversation to say the least and as usual I pretty much did what I essentially was going to do in the first place prior to posting. And that worked fine. So good day gentlemen. And do take care.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    K

#30 Dweib, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  7. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,270
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    OK then! Glad we could be of assistance, I think?

• Like Like x 1
  8. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,513
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    Glad you got it handled.. On to other tasks..

9. bruben7886

bruben7886 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +1,789
    Can't you guys read? D@~nit, this thread is now CLOSED!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,479
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    Negative. This thread is open. Maybe someone else will come along and realize, they too, need to glue so me speaker covers.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dweib

Dweib Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah agreed. Edited above and thread remains open. Someone might come along with further questions. Such as when using the double stick tape method, what's the best way to cut out the openings for the speakers, etc? Very carefully with a sharp xacto or razor blade is my best guess.

#35 Dweib, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  12. Dweib

Dweib Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Finally - here is a link to the correct procedure with a link to the right stuff! Nothing is impossible - opening the HTC One. Now with video - Post 44 - XDA Forums

And I'm just now recalling from my old model railroad days what we used for cork roadbed was Goodyear Pliobond! Now why didn't I think of that earlier? sheesh!

#36 Dweib, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 1