Gluing on speaker covers

Discussion in 'HTC One (M7)' started by Dweib, Apr 1, 2015.

1. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,513
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    I would think that something like this would come with an adhesive already on it.. Peel the white wax paper and position it and stick it on..

I would say merge them as well. So no one else chases their tail... Like we have.

• Like Like x 2
  2. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,270
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    I say definitely merge the threads. We lost a day in productivity and I've got several new gray hairs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,270
    Current Phone Model:
    I agree 100%. This should have adhesive on it and I wouldn't want to use anything in the way of adhesives inside my phone that the manufacturer or a reputable supplier hasn't already tested. Take the white waxed paper off and it should be self-adhesive.

It may not feel all that sticky but adhesives like those are typically slow reacting with very light tack. There is no pressure on it so it has time to adhere on its own and build up adhesion.

4. Dweib

Dweib Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Yes those speaker protective micro mesh screens do come with a bit of a stick to the edges. But that, gentlemen, is not the current question. I now need to know the correct adhesive and procedure for attaching the covers that go over those screens. In the case of the HTC One m7 these are indeed glued on. See link > HTC One Top Cover and Bottom Cover Upper Cover and U-Cover This post is primarily directed to those individuals who may be in the business of cell phone repair and not to a general speaker geek. In lieu of what may be the correct procedure I am leaning toward some careful use of two part epoxy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

5. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,270
    Current Phone Model:
    Okay then, so it appears that my suspicions may have been correct after all regarding the cover on the front of the phone that I had included a pic of earlier.

"Is this the front panel of the phone as illustrated below? Or is the cover you're referring to something else?"

[​IMG]

So what you're saying is you've got the screen mesh already installed and now you need to replace the front cover that is the front of the phone. That again would normally have its own adhesive already installed, but since you've removed it you've probably either damaged or removed the adhesive as a result.

The problem here unfortunately is I wouldn't want to use any adhesives on that that could potentially damage the plastic or the finish and absolutely under no circumstances would I consider using superglue. Super glue creates major problems with plastic in that it melts it, it breaks down paint and melts that as well, and it also creates a haze that spreads across other services nearby as a result of the evaporating solvents.

The proper adhesive would be a rubber cement based adhesive or an acrylic based adhesive but unfortunately I'm not aware of one other than good old fashioned rubber cement that could be applied without risking over application. You might consider a spray on acrylic adhesive but you have to tape up all the parts that you don't want exposed to the spray on acrylic adhesive. Once you've done so and then removed the masking, wait until the adhesive is tacky and then apply.

#17 FoxKat, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  6. Dweib

Dweib Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Those covers are aluminium. And no there is no adhesive already applied to the replacements.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

7. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,270
    Current Phone Model:
    Ok, I knew they were aluminum but the fact that there is no adhesive applied is kind of interesting. Typically what they would use in that situation would be a very thin double sided tape perhaps, or specifically a regular acrylic adhesive to tack it down. What was on it when you removed it initially? Surely there must have been some adhesive, otherwise it would have fallen off.

If it's a slightly yellowish double-sided tape on the original cover, you should be able to remove it carefully and slowly with gentle tugging pressure and get it free from the old cover, and then apply it to the new cover.

8. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,513
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    If not.. Go for gold.. This is getting strange.. Apply a light layer of adhesive for positioning.. Then.. Maybe form a gasket(black permatex) .. After you make sure if the final fit.. WARNING.. ANY HARSH ADHESIVE MAY DAMAGE THE COVER MATERIAL SO LOOK FOR SPECIALIZED MATERIAL..

I've had good luck with form a gasket black color

#20 94lt1, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  9. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,270
    Current Phone Model:
    I would stay away from Gorilla Glue for this. It expands and will push the cover off or leak out the seams.

10. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,513
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    Probably a good idea.. Black gasket tack aka form a gasket from your auto supply store is probably your best best.. In a very small amount.. Apply with a toothpick.. Or perhaps spray adhesive.. But i don't see that having the stickiness you'll probably need.. Wear gloves and be careful.. The stuff is strong ... It can possibly rip the foam you're working with..

• Like Like x 1
  11. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,270
    Current Phone Model:
    Form a gasket, there's an excellent suggestion.

I'd try it on two similar mating surfaces of something you don't mind destroying first but I could see it working well.

12. Dweib

Dweib Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Done a few engine rebuilds in my time so I do have Permatex Form A Gasket #1 and #2 on hand. #1 is brown and hardens up. #2 is black and non-hardening. hmm . . Not so sure if that has sufficient adhesive power. There is also automotive goop under consideration.

Here is what you guys may be referring to: Gasket Sealant at AutoZone.com - Best Gasket Sealant Parts for Cars Trucks SUVS But it doesn't say "form a gasket" and I would appreciate it in the future when mentioning a specific product to try, if you could give me a direct link. Thanks.

#24 Dweib, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 1