Global version of Droid X?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
There haven't been any indications that the upcoming Droid X 2 will be global, so it doesn't look likely. The Incredible 2 is about as close in form factor to the X that Verizon has with global capabilities.

OP
charger94

charger94

Reaction score
damn. Ive always been a huge fan of the Droid X but cant use CDMA networks in Australia. Thanks for you help.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone knows if verizon will release a global version or gsm version of the Droid X?
Why would Verizon release a GSM device? There will not be any GSM Droids. Droid is a line of Verizon Android devices. Verizon is not a GSM carrier.

OP
charger94

charger94

Reaction score
Im wondering if it would be gsm capable like the droid 2 global.

Sent from my Milestone using DroidForums

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm wondering if anyone knows if verizon will release a global version or gsm version of the Droid X?
Why would Verizon release a GSM device? There will not be any GSM Droids. Droid is a line of Verizon Android devices. Verizon is not a GSM carrier.

But Motorola does sometimes release the phones that get branded with the Verizon Droid name in the U.S. in other countries under different names. The GSM version of the original Droid was called the Milestone. Europe has recently gotten the Motorola Pro, a GSM version of the Droid Pro. They're the exact same phone, just withing the Droid name. Motorola holds the right to release GSM versions of those phones under a different name, not Verizon. There haven't been any GSM-only releases of the Droid X under a different name however. That's not to say that there won't be in the future with something like the Droid X 2. Anything is possible. And Verizon does release GSM-capable Droids. They've done it with three so far.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
No idea but should be get more information in next few days may be with Bionic press release!

It's very doubtful that the Bionic will be a world phone. Stuffing a LTE radio, a CDMA radio, and a GSM radio in there, all while keeping the profile slim, isn't likely to happen this year. The LTE radios are still too big for that. It might be able to work globally on LTE networks, but there really aren't much of those to speak of right now.

The Droid 3 looks to be the next global phone from Verizon. Dual core, 4" qHD screen, front facing camera, improved rear camera, 5 row qwerty keyboard, and global capabilities? Yeah, it will very likely be my next phone.

The Droid X2, which some are saying could arrive as early as next week, could surprise us with global capabilities. But since nothing has been said of that in the numerous leaks, I wouldn't count on it. It's always possible though until we get official specs.