global/ Lte/ cdma

robert70

Reaction score
So after I upgraded I went threw everything and noticed that ics's default setting was global,,, but is it really a global phone now?? Can I travel to say Spain or Costa Rico and use my phone?? Seems like a misnomer to me,,, just wondering, I searched for this subject but never found it in the forum anywhere and I mean the question of it after the update.

Sent from my wicked sharp razr!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Global adds the ability for the Razr to pick up on GSM networks, often which are used globally.

Google says both of those countries use GSM networks. Now of course you have to call big red and add a plan to include global stuff, or they will have your first and second born.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I set mine to LTE/CDMA instead of global. I never go anywhere, and I have no desire to leave this great country anyway.

Plus I use LTE On/Off from the market and keep mine on CDMA to save battery life, since my 4G is spotty where I live. :)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I set mine to LTE/CDMA instead of global. I never go anywhere, and I have no desire to leave this great country anyway.

Plus I use LTE On/Off from the market and keep mine on CDMA to save battery life, since my 4G is spotty where I live. :)

I watched "Locked up Abroad" too many times to leave this country :)

We have all seen "Brokedown Palace", we maybe not all of us. But I have and bad stuff happens when you leave the country!

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

We have all seen "Brokedown Palace", we maybe not all of us. But I have and bad stuff happens when you leave the country!

Ever see the movie "Midnight Express"?

Yeah, I watched "Locked up Abroad" too ... I think I'll just stay home LOL :p

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Ever see the movie "Midnight Express"?

Yeah, I watched "Locked up Abroad" too ... I think I'll just stay home LOL :p

Yep, exactly. No drugs being slipping into my suitcase sitting on my couch.

OP
robert70

robert70

Reaction score
Sydman said:

Lmao!!! Thanks for the laugh and the answers guys,, I think I'm going to give that Lte off a try as well.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Lmao!!! Thanks for the laugh and the answers guys,, I think I'm going to give that Lte off a try as well.

Here's a couple things you might wanna know about it.

Going from 4G to 3G and back and forth (especially if you live in a spotty 4G area like me) will use unnecessary battery.

If you use LTE On/Off (it's free in the market) ... you set your preferred network to "CDMA Auto (PRL)" ... that will keep your phone on 3G and you can go back any time.

However, if you reboot your phone, it doesn't stick. You have to set it again after a rebooting. It's a minor pain, but I have not seen a way to make it stick, even though there may very well be one, I just haven't seen it.

I do it just to save battery. But if I leave to go somewhere, I just toggle it back to 4G until I get back home. Hope this helps! :)

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yep, exactly. No drugs being slipping into my suitcase sitting on my couch.

LMAO I was in the airport in Charlotte NC a few months back and there was a sign that said "Do not accept packages from strangers and do not allow strangers access to your luggage" ... I mean like SERIOUSLY??? DUHHHHH :icon_eek:

friedmjb

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with loss of signal quality when travelling out of the US after upgrading to ICS? Specifically with LTE/CDMA? More Specifically, in Mexico City?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Has anyone had any issues with loss of signal quality when travelling out of the US after upgrading to ICS? Specifically with LTE/CDMA? More Specifically, in Mexico City?

I would not expect any 4G coverage in Mexico, Verizon does say they can piggy back onto the CDMA coverage in Mexico (at 99 cents a minute). Not sure on the level of coverage though.

Looks like they offer both 800 and 1900 MHZ cell spectrum, but again that would only be getting you EV-DO which is pretty limited.

"1xEV-DO: Also known as Evolution, Data-Only, this subset of CDMA2000 runs on CDMA networks and reaches peak speeds of 2.4Mbps and averages 300Kbps to 600Kbps. As its name implies, EV-DO networks handle only high-speed data; handsets supporting EV-DO would use the underlying CDMA network for voice calls. Both Verizon and Sprint are launching 1xEV-DO service."

friedmjb

Reaction score
I would not expect any 4G coverage in Mexico, Verizon does say they can piggy back onto the CDMA coverage in Mexico (at 99 cents a minute). Not sure on the level of coverage though.

Looks like they offer both 800 and 1900 MHZ cell spectrum, but again that would only be getting you EV-DO which is pretty limited.

"1xEV-DO: Also known as Evolution, Data-Only, this subset of CDMA2000 runs on CDMA networks and reaches peak speeds of 2.4Mbps and averages 300Kbps to 600Kbps. As its name implies, EV-DO networks handle only high-speed data; handsets supporting EV-DO would use the underlying CDMA network for voice calls. Both Verizon and Sprint are launching 1xEV-DO service."

I have not had any issues with data (which is running at 3G speeds on IUSACELL), but I have had issues with my phone not ringing when people try to call me from the US. This did not happen prior to the ICS upgrade.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If you are there I would put your phone on CDMA only for the time being. For one you are wasting battery letting your phone constantly try to obtain a 4G signal, two it might be trying less to get a solid 3G.

If you dial from your phones dial pad *#*#4636#*#* and click on phone information and scroll down to preferred network type. Choose CDMA auto (PRL), that will put your phone into the old CDMA only mode and stay that way until you reboot your phone then you will have to do it again. See if that helps.

friedmjb

Reaction score
Gracias Sydman. I'll see if that improves my ability to receive a call.