GLD's Method for a Clean Install and Restore Using Titanium Backup

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by GirLuvsDroid, Jan 5, 2011.

1. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If it's themed, then it's included in the apps in the theme.

2. Firewing

Firewing Member

in northern cali, where the desert and the mountai
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks GLD, this is the best thing about the ROM, the support...You helped me right away :)

3. Firewing

Firewing Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Still getting the error, here is a screen shot

4. GirLuvsDroid

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I'm completely stumped Cara. If you've wiped Talk data, wiped Gmail cache and data, and made sure that Gmail sync is checked, I'm not sure what else to do. Only one other thing I can think of to try. The Intensity themed Talk is attached -- just boot into recovery and flash it like a theme, no wiping, Hopefully, this works!

5. Firewing

Firewing Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, I will try that, if it doesn't work I will start all over again and see if I missed a step somewhere :)

6. Firewing

Firewing Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok, starting over...I will let you know how it goes :)

7. JayR_

JayR_ Theme Developer Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    if you get this in time...try not loading your data for gtalk when you reinstall...try starting new data hope you get it working :)

8. bigjonmoo73

bigjonmoo73 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks a lot for this! I didn't realize that there were certain things you wanna make sure you don't restore when setting up a new ROM. Great walk through!

9. Firewing

Firewing Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got it working YAY!!!! I must have not loaded something when I was loading system data from tibu during the steps before I loaded all my apps and backed up... again thanks for the speedy replies, that is why I love it in this section :)
    Thanks
    Cara

10. mkraffert

mkraffert Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bad SD Card?

I have a problem. I've never had this issue before, and I'm posting this here because I was following GLD's steps for a clean tibu restore when the problem arose. I'm certain it's not a problem with her instructions, but I didn't know where else to post this so I put it here. Mods, feel free to move this if there's a better place for it.

Here's what's happening. I have Rom Manager 3.0.0.7, Clockwork 2.5.0.1, and the latest paid Titanium Backup. I downloaded PE4.2.zip and put it in my /dropbox directory on my sd card. I backed up my apps with TB, nandroid backed up my phone, and (thankfully) backed up my sd card to my laptop.

I booted into recovery, and did all the format and reset steps GLD outlined. I've done these steps lots of times before, but I've never followed the TB restore steps, so I was going to try that. After I wiped and formatted, I chose install zip from sdcard. Clockwork could only find a /clockwork directory on the sd card.

I tried removing the sd card and restoring the backup. Put the card back in, booted to recovery and clockwork could still only find the clockwork directory. No nandroid backups or anything. Also, phone wouldn't boot since it was totally wiped of any OS. I flashed an sbf file, flashed the SPRecovery sbf and re-rooted. The phone booted up fine. Root Explorer was able to see all my files. Installed Rom Manager, flash clockwork and tried again. Same results.

Re-sbf'ed and rooted the phone, restored the sd card backup (SO glad I backed it up!) and installed PE4.2.zip as an update.zip using SPRecovery. Phone booted fine and installed PE. When the phone boots now, instead of just mounting the sd card, it goes into a "Checking for Errors" cycle. I reinstalled Rom Manager and Clockwork and tried to flash the Intense theme through RM and CW. Phone rebooted into recovery and bombed. Couldn't find the file. SD card is blank. Restored the sd card backup, rebooted, flashed SPRecovery, and installed the theme as an update.zip. No problem, except it still does the "Checking for Errors" thing.

So my question is this, is my sd card shot, or is this a Rom Manager, Clockwork issue? SPRecovery doesn't screw up my sd card, but clockwork does. I've been using Rom Manager / Clockwork for months with no problems.

UPDATE: I went to Radio Shack and bought a new sd card and the problems seems to be gone. On a side note, they are having a sale and I got a Class 4 16GB SanDisk card for $34.99. Their regular price on it is $119.99. Sale ends today 1/22. Anyone looking for an sd card might want to check it out.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  11. GirLuvsDroid

Ratings:
    +1
    Mkraffert, I'm glad you went and bought a new SD card, because that's what I was going to advise you to do. I think your old card corrupted, but I don't believe it had anything to do with ROM Manager or ClockworkMod Recovery -- as you note, you've used both numerous times without issue, as have I and many others. I think it was just an unfortunate coincidence of timing. SPRecovery may have allowed you to restore, but afterward, it was clear there were SD card errors.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it worked out.

12. mkraffert

mkraffert Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for getting back to me. It seems it's all for the better. The Class 4 card "seems" to be much faster than the old Class 2 card. When the phone boots, the sd card mounts SIGNIFICANTLY faster. And it was cheaper than I thought I would pay for a regular Class 2 card.

13. martytoo

martytoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Should this method work with any ROM?

14. mxnut

mxnut Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would think it would work with any Froyo ROM. Not sure about Liquid's new GB one. I would think some of the data might be flaky crossing over. But then again, I'm no expert.

15. martytoo

martytoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That is an interesting remark. I had trouble with that exact ROM yesterday. The market was flaky for me after using the method with Titanium Backup.

Search tags for this page
android calendar cleaner

android clean install

clean restore titanium backup

factory reset then titanium backup
install titanium backup in recovery

is clockworkmod recovery better than titanium restore?

problems restoring google from titanium pro backup

titanium backup install method

use titanium backup to install roms in recovery
what is a clean install android