GLD's Method for a Clean Install and Restore Using Titanium Backup

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by GirLuvsDroid, Jan 5, 2011.

1. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

NOTE RELATING TO GINGERBREAD ROMS: There have been many reports that using Titanium backup to restore from Froyo to Gingerbread has caused numerous problems for Gingerbread users. Therefore, I recommend that you NOT restore any system data, and that you exercise caution in restoring anything else, when going from Froyo to Gingerbread.

I do a lot of ROM testing and I always wipe all partitions going to new ROMs, or even new versions of the same ROM. This guide assumes that you already know how to install a ROM (for my method for installing a ROM using ClockworkMod recovery, see here: Project Elite; for SPRecovery installation instructions, see here: Project Elite).
    For those who are interested in getting a clean start when they load the blazing goodness of a Project Elite ROM, here's how I do it:

1. Purchase the license for Titanium Backup (TiBu) if you don't already have it -- it's worth it -- and go to Batch and use Backup all user apps + system data.

2. Once your TiBu backup completes, open ROM Manager and select BackUp Current ROM, then give the backup a descriptive name for your current ROM (this will do a nandroid backup of your current setup, which will be stored on your SD card under clockworkmod>backup). I always try to catch it after the backup completes and the screen goes black (before the M logo comes up), immediately opening the keyboard, pressing and holding the X key, so I go straight to recovery rather than booting up again.

3. In ClockworkMod recovery after your backup, do a factory reset (wipe data and cache), then go into the partitions menu and format boot, then format system, then go to the advanced menu and Wipe Dalvik Cache.

4. Install the ROM zip file following the installation instructions.

5. Once you boot up, touch the top left, then the top right, then the bottom right, then the bottom left (in a square pattern) of the screen to skip Google sign in.

6. Make sure you have Unknown sources checked in System>Applications.

7. Open TiBu and go into Preferences and make sure you have Force to same location checked (this will then make sure your apps and data are restored to the device and SD card, as applicable, exactly as they were when you did your backup).*

8. Still in TiBu, go into Batch and and start with Restore missing apps + all system data -- we'll do apps and data in the next step. When you restore missing apps + all missing data, here's the important thing: press Deselect all and ONLY check the items in GREEN (this will restore all your call log, SMS/MMS, accounts, wifi and bluetooth connections, etc.). If you restore the stuff in red, you're restoring system data from prior ROMs, which could cause you all kinds of issues. NOW, here's another very important caveat: some people have found that restoring [SETTINGS/BLUETOOTH] Settings Storage 2.2.1 from "Restore missing apps + all system data" can cause issues (for example, if you had a password (PIN) to unlock your phone when you did your TiBu backup and you restore this setting on your new ROM, you may find yourself completely locked out after you set your password on your new ROM and you reboot -- which means that you'd have to wipe and start over again; also restoring that item from one version of PE to the next, or coming from LFY to PE, restores all the Elite Options data, including color choices in Interface, etc. For some folks, this has caused FCs in the SpareParts portion of Elite Options). One additional thing: you won't see some of your data (call log, SMS/MMS, etc.) until after a reboot -- I generally wait until Step 11 when I need to reboot to make my backup anyway, but it's certainly fine for you to go ahead and reboot now if you want to ensure that all your data is there.

9. After you've finished restoring the items in green (other than the one in my caveat above unless you're feeling adventurous), run Restore missing apps with data (these will all be missing user (non-system) apps that are in WHITE text) and go through the list to make sure you've got ONLY the items you really want to restore checked. DON'T restore Liquid Tweaks, Liquid Tweaks Helper or Spare Parts if they're on your list. Take your time going through this list, and make sure you have unchecked system apps from prior ROMs or older versions of the same ROM. In addtion to the ones I've already mentioned, some examples from my list that I make sure are unchecked are things like Calendar 2.2, Android Keyboard 2.2 and Music Mod 1.8. These may differ from what's on your list, but hopefully that gives you the idea of the kinds of things you're looking for.

10. Go to Settings>Accounts & sync, Add account and sign in to Google. Make sure Auto-sync is checked and that Sync Contacts, Sync Gmail and Sync Calendar, etc. are checked, and allow them to sync. It's possible that the Accounts restore in Step 8 already restored your account, but you should still look to be sure all your items are checked.

11. Make a nandroid backup of this setup BEFORE you start adding themes and kernels -- that way, it's easy to revert back to stock and start over if a theme or kernel messes you up.

If you run across any apps that restore from Market without your data, because you missed them in your TiBu restore, just go into TiBu and go to filters, type the name of the app, and restore data only.

The only thing left is that you'll likely have to set up your widgets again (at least I do in Sweeter Home 2) and you may have to restore some of your ringtone choices in Contacts, Gmail, Calendar and Gtalk.
    *One other note: if you have Swype, I've found that TiBu restore doesn't always work right. If you have the official beta version that you're reinstalling from the Swype beta website, you'll want to reinstall the Swype installer, then Swype FIRST, before your full TiBu restore, to avoid the memory issues that often plague Swype installs. This means that you may have to sign in to Google at this point, or use TiBu to restore just the email app that contains your Swype beta email (for me, that's K-9 Mail), before you go on to the rest of the steps. Don't worry, since you used the square pattern to skip initial Google sign-in, your sign-in now won't trigger an unwanted auto-restore from the Market.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

Thank you for the above post. I have seen alot of issues stem from people restoring everything with titanium backup. If you would like to restore your applications and data please follow the above guide for it is a proven method. Please follow the above guide before posting any issues or bugs if you have restored using titanium. Most issues are cause by some incompatible app or data being restored.

Also if you feel more comfortable and dont mind losing applications or data please follow the guides below to install Project Elite roms:
    Project Elite
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  3. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Thanks to GirLuvsDroid for taking time to write this tutorial and Actngrezy for his excellent work on PE!

Both of you do a lot to advance the Android community! I appreciate your time and hard work.

Mike
  4. burntorangefan

burntorangefan New Member

I second the Nittany Lion. Thanks GLD, this is gonna help a lot of people who've been told to use Titanium, but then proceed to do more harm than good!
  5. sincerity

sincerity New Member

Great writeup...I even learned some things and I thought I had it down pat. Thank you
  6. Nuance

Nuance New Member

Thank you, GLD! This is easily the best method to clean wipe and restore.
  7. blacksoxing

blacksoxing Member

Wait, where is this Rom Manager?

Is that in the paid version of TB?
  8. ziltoid

ziltoid New Member

ROM Manager is a separate app. Search for it on the Market.
  9. mxnut

mxnut New Member

Download from the market. Must have root.
  10. blacksoxing

blacksoxing Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping that I wasn't overlooking it...
  11. AugmentedFourth

AugmentedFourth New Member

Just curious what you mean exactly when you say to "open TiBU" after skipping past the google registration?

The few times I've switched ROMs, I've always had to re-download titanium from the market. I haven't taken the time to really familiarize myself with the file-system yet. So, I was never sure where the TiBU apk was stored.

Is navigating and reinstalling it from the SD card the preferred method after a wipe+flash? If so, where do I find Titanium on the file system?

Thanks!
  12. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

This guide was written for Project Elite ROMs, which include Titanium Backup with the ROM install. So you just need to go to the app tray and open it.
  13. LT*

LT* New Member

This is a great resource, I've used it myself more than once with no issues.

Thank you.
  14. AugmentedFourth

Sweet! That makes things super easy...I assume it'll find my premium key on its own. Either way, I guess I'll find out in a few minutes.
  15. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

It should find it -- it's always found mine.
  16. AugmentedFourth

Any specific reason for not just doing an install and wipe cache + data directly from the ROM Manager UI instead of manually in clockwork?
  17. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

You kind of answered your own question -- if you do it from ROM Manager, you're only wiping data and cache -- you miss system, boot and Dalvik cache.
  18. Riley

Riley New Member

very cool guide, I have one question too. As loyal as I am to PE ROM's I do like to test and try other ROM's, and a bunch do not have Tibu included...if I open the market to install it, I have to sign in my Google account and it wants to start auto loading all my apps and data from the market via Google. Is there a work around for this, or do we need to let Google restore then go into Tibu and restore data?
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  19. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

My experience has been that, once I use the 4-corner method to skip Google sign-in, if I then sign in to Google, my apps don't start auto-restoring. So, you do the 4-corner (square) pattern to skip sign-in, then go to Settings>Accounts & sync and do your sign-in, then go to the Market and download Titanium Backup.

That's one way to do it. The other way is to open the zip archive for the ROM file (before you install it) and add the Titanium Backup apk to /system/app within the ROM file (don't extract/unzip it--just use a program like 7zip to open the archive), then it's there for you in your app tray when you install. That's what I always do for testing ROMs that don't include it already.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  20. Riley

Riley New Member

Once again....your brillant! Thanks! :)
Search tags for this page
android calendar cleaner

android clean install

clean android then restore

clean restore titanium backup

import nandroid backup titanium
install titanium backup in recovery

is clockworkmod recovery better than titanium restore?

problems restoring google from titanium pro backup

titanium backup install method

titanium recover method
use titanium backup to install roms in recovery
what is a clean install android