Glass back iPhone in 2017?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
TPT4052808A_20140530031332632.jpg

Rumor has it that Apple may being going back to the all glass iPhone. With glass getting stronger this may allow Apple to bring back one of their most beautifully designed iPhones without the shattered back. For the iPhone users on here who are lurking, are you wanting to see Apple go back to all glass or would your prefer they stay aluminum?

Source: Apple expected to ditch aluminum, release glass-backed iPhone with OLED display in 2017

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Wife is an iPhone user, and she said Aluminum, as a GS6 user, I'd prefer Aluminum over the glass.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As far as look I like glass but at the end of the day I would prefer aluminum. Glass you have to keep a microfiber cloth with you and/or have to keep it in a case (which defeats the purpose). The glass phone is for the showroom, the aluminum phone is for the every day user.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
100% agree, I love the look / feel of the GS6, but as it was dropped within 5 minutes, on carpet TG, It needs a case.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I was never one for cases until I got my Note 5. Beautiful device, until it slipped out of my hands, good thing it was in bed and not while I was walking on the streets.

Glass phones look and feel great, but you better have an iron grip. I won't get an iPhone, but I'd prefer aluminum myself.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
+1.. Glass looks great but aluminum is more practical..

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was just fine with plastic. Do we buy aftermarket glass covers? Do we usually buy metal covers? Why not?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I was just fine with plastic. Do we buy aftermarket glass covers? Do we usually buy metal covers? Why not?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
I can't deny that a metal phone feels better in my hand, but I have to agree with you. Those plastic phones were tough. I'm rehearsing a play right now with my theater group. I've been using my old s3 as a dummy phone until they get the one I'll actually use as a prop. In one scene, my "wife" grabs the phone out of my hand and dumps it into a flower vase (filled with flowers and water). She clunked the plastic s3 down so hard in that thing the other night, she shattered the vase. Phone is fine. Haha!

I like metal. Can't argue that the glass has a nice look, but I had an old girlfriend that got the first iphone with the glass back. She had it in a case from the moment she got it. For some reason, I wanted to check something out on it one day and went to slide it out of the case, only to discover that the glass had shattered inside there.

There's enough fragile glass on the front of my poor 6P that I already have to get replaced because I was foolish enough to not have it in a case and clumsy enough to drop it on the sidewalk while riding my Blink Board. I'm not so sure that, even though it landed directly on the screen, glass on the back wouldn't have at least cracked from the force as well.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't deny that a metal phone feels better in my hand, but I have to agree with you. Those plastic phones were tough. I'm rehearsing a play right now with my theater group. I've been using my old s3 as a dummy phone until they get the one I'll actually use as a prop. In one scene, my "wife" grabs the phone out of my hand and dumps it into a flower vase (filled with flowers and water). She clunked the plastic s3 down so hard in that thing the other night, she shattered the vase. Phone is fine. Haha!

I like metal. Can't argue that the glass has a nice look, but I had an old girlfriend that got the first iphone with the glass back. She had it in a case from the moment she got it. For some reason, I wanted to check something out on it one day and went to slide it out of the case, only to discover that the glass had shattered inside there.

There's enough fragile glass on the front of my poor 6P that I already have to get replaced because I was foolish enough to not have it in a case and clumsy enough to drop it on the sidewalk while riding my Blink Board. I'm not so sure that, even though it landed directly on the screen, glass on the back wouldn't have at least cracked from the force as well.
My daughter keeps her iPhone 4S in a Lifeproof case that cost as much as the phone. She took it out one day, for whatever reason young folks do things, and the back was spider webbed. If Samsung starts going glass back on their Notes I'll have to get over my addiction to my s pen when this Note4 craps out or/if I switch carriers.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><