Gizmodo Review

turdbogls

Reaction score
lots of good points here. here is my take. I am a big picture taker, but not a professional by any means.

the camera on this phone is actually a plus for me. i have to think that something is wrong with the gizmodo review unit, that or there was a nice fingerprint on the lense. something like that can make pictures look washed out on my current cell phone camera (thunderbolt)

phone cameras are made for quick point and shoot, not for taking professional pics. people need to get over it. these phones (all of them, even my current thunderbolt in 6mp mode AOSP camera) takes good enough pics for me. if i ever go to a museum, park, zoo, trip ect where i am going to want to have the best pics to remember my experience, i am going to take my REAL camera (Canon SLR) and also have my phone so i can snap a quick pick and upload it to FB to rub it in my friends' faces.

i just recently went to seaworld with my wife, she had the SLR, i had my TB. cant tell you how many "jumping shamus" i missed because of the slow camera. when i finally got one, it was good enough for me to upload. the fast camera shutter is a huge selling point. the nexus and my march upgrade date cannot come soon enough :)

VTX

Reaction score
There are some interesting comments in this thread. Unless I'm misunderstanding I've seen people compare studio lighting to bright outside sunlight. They're not even close. In fact, opposite ends of the spectrum. Studio lighting is soft, sunny is harsh. If you want to compare a studio shot to an outside shot the outside shot would be taken on an overcast day. The point is, you have to know how to take a good picture, not just rely on the hardware.

Obviously some of the reviewers have been able to get some good pictures indoors and outdoors with the Nexus camera, so I think it's pretty clear the gizmodo reviewer either had a bad unit or wasn't taking good pictures.

Last edited:

loriindigo

Reaction score
Should I wait?

Galaxy Nexus Review: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

An unusually good review from a site sponsored by the IPhone.

I am so new to the concept of smart phones. I still have the Versa. I want to upgrade. My research peaked my interest in the Bionic (no V cast video), the Charge, or the Thunderbolt. When I came across the Galaxy Nexus, I became enamored. Should I wait for the Galaxy Nexus to be tweeked or should I go with one of the other three? Any opinions?

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
You don't want an old phone so don't get the Thunderbolt or Charge.

The Bionic is not a terrible phone but I think the Nexus will be better. I have the Bionic now and will be switching. I think getting a major new smart phone you would be best off with the Nexus since it's got the newest operating system and should be easier to use.

I am so new to the concept of smart phones. I still have the Versa. I want to upgrade. My research peaked my interest in the Bionic (no V cast video), the Charge, or the Thunderbolt. When I came across the Galaxy Nexus, I became enamored. Should I wait for the Galaxy Nexus to be tweeked or should I go with one of the other three? Any opinions?

jcardona1

Reaction score

Instead of those, I'd be looking at the Nexus, Razr, and Rezound. Of those, Nexus is my first choice, followed by the Rezound. Didn't really like the Razr. In fact, I like the Rezound so much that if the Nexus is delayed any longer, I may just settle with the Rezound. It's display and camera are awesome, not to mention how fast the phone is.

prowler85

Reaction score

Instead of those, I'd be looking at the Nexus, Razr, and Rezound. Of those, Nexus is my first choice, followed by the Rezound. Didn't really like the Razr. In fact, I like the Rezound so much that if the Nexus is delayed any longer, I may just settle with the Rezound. It's display and camera are awesome, not to mention how fast the phone is.

I was going to say pretty much the same thing, except why on earth would you need VCast Video? There is NOTHING Verizon puts on a phone that you really need with a smart phone. Might have been true with a feature phone, but smart phones have access to a multitude of other services FAR better than what Verizon pushes on you. Between YouTube, Amazon, and Google Market, you probably have access to 99.9% of all video on the planet (and music and apps and....).

smokiedabong

Reaction score
From the look of some sample pics the camera isn't bad by any means . If you let it focus and adjust it can take great pictures , if you want zero lag pictures , it can do that too , but some pictures may turn out OK others may be blurry . People are expecting to jump with a phone around or point it to the sun and take great pictures . Not even a high end DSLR won't take good pictures if it's not setup properly . Here's an example from a Nikon DSLR

2qdzpkw.jpg

jcardona1

Reaction score
From the look of some sample pics the camera isn't bad by any means . If you let it focus and adjust it can take great pictures , if you want zero lag pictures , it can do that too , but some pictures may turn out OK others may be blurry . People are expecting to jump with a phone around or point it to the sun and take great pictures . Not even a high end DSLR won't take good pictures if it's not setup properly . Here's an example from a Nikon DSLR

2qdzpkw.jpg

That's a terrible photo. When I first saw it I said please don't let that be from a Nexus. Then I saw it was from a DSLR hahahaha

loriindigo

Reaction score
Thank you so much; I am going to look at the Rezound while I am waiting for Nexus.

I was going to say pretty much the same thing, except why on earth would you need VCast Video? There is NOTHING Verizon puts on a phone that you really need with a smart phone. Might have been true with a feature phone, but smart phones have access to a multitude of other services FAR better than what Verizon pushes on you. Between YouTube, Amazon, and Google Market, you probably have access to 99.9% of all video on the planet (and music and apps and....).

loriindigo

Reaction score
Thank you for the information; I will definitely research the rezound while waiting for the Nexus.

loriindigo

Reaction score
Thank you; I am very happy with the responses I received thus far. Everyone is so helpful.

You don't want an old phone so don't get the Thunderbolt or Charge.

The Bionic is not a terrible phone but I think the Nexus will be better. I have the Bionic now and will be switching. I think getting a major new smart phone you would be best off with the Nexus since it's got the newest operating system and should be easier to use.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to draw a line in the sand somewhere. I can't keep saying, "well this phone doesn't have good screen quality, so no go, that phone doesn't have good picture quality, so I'll wait for the next one". Hopefully a software fix will help the picture issue, as I am an avid cellphone picture taker. Granted, the Rezounds pictures were superb, I don't want a Rezound, I want the GNex!

I have to take the Good with the bad.