Give up unlimited?

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I've been thinking about verizons 6gb+mobile hotspot plan for $50. I don't use very much data on average. But I know that the methods of entertainment is changing, for example streaming netflix, hulu and other more convenient online services. I also read about how at&t is throttling people that have unlimiited and am thinking maybe bigred might or has been doing this practice. I don't really want to give up my coveted unlimited status. I know that I can tether, but it isn't really acceptable. I still like using my laptop and hopefully a tablet in the future. If I do the switch, I'll be dropping my qwest internet @ $45 a month.
Will having a capped plan avoid any possible throttling?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There has been no evidence of anyone on VZW being throttled. In fact, a week or two back, someone posted a screenshot of using 80+ GB's and not being throttled. At this point, it's all a myth.

That said, your decision may be based on what's morally right. If you don't agree with tethering via a free app, then that's an issue you can resolve by switching. Personally, I don't agree with it, but to each their own.

OP
xxwabbit

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I guess I feel guilty when someone says it's wrong even though I do it. I guess I got a little scared with the at&t story I read in the paper which I don't have a link to.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'd personally just keep the unlimited data. If you're gonna get throttled (though I don't believe it), then it'll happen. I am guilty of tethering, but I don't plan on dropping my cable plan anytime soon for tethering with 4g. I don't tether much at all, but sometimes I do need it, but I'm not downloading a movie or anything with it, but regardless I'm guilty of tethering.

Wadman

Reaction score
There has been no evidence of anyone on VZW being throttled. In fact, a week or two back, someone posted a screenshot of using 80+ GB's and not being throttled. At this point, it's all a myth.

That said, your decision may be based on what's morally right. If you don't agree with tethering via a free app, then that's an issue you can resolve by switching. Personally, I don't agree with it, but to each their own.

It's not a myth. If you are on a 3g phone they can "throttle" you. They call it network optimiztion and it stays with your account for at least one billing cycle. I used 5 gigs one month and they added the network optimiztion to my line. They said there are certain criteria a user has to meet in order for them to do this. You have to be in a highly congested area...and be a "consistent" heavy data user. It seriously slowed my internet down to a crawl. I fought and fought with them to remove it and not even the up and ups can remove it. If you move to a 4g device then they cannot throttle you. That is what I have been told by customer service supervisers. So, if heavy users aren't being throttled it's because they haven't got caught yet.

tituswife

Reaction score
I use a lot of data, but I'm not throttled, because of the tower I'm on. This is from Verizon, which sounds like an admission to me.

Sent from my stock Thunderbolt using SlideIt keyboard

OP
xxwabbit

xxwabbit

Reaction score
Ya leave it to me get caught up in the media's carnival. Seems like it would be in their best interest to pull people away from unlimited to capped. :frown:

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's not a myth. If you are on a 3g phone they can "throttle" you. They call it network optimiztion and it stays with your account for at least one billing cycle. I used 5 gigs one month and they added the network optimiztion to my line. They said there are certain criteria a user has to meet in order for them to do this. You have to be in a highly congested area...and be a "consistent" heavy data user. It seriously slowed my internet down to a crawl. I fought and fought with them to remove it and not even the up and ups can remove it. If you move to a 4g device then they cannot throttle you. That is what I have been told by customer service supervisers. So, if heavy users aren't being throttled it's because they haven't got caught yet.

Once again, I do question you. You are the first person I've ever seen that actually claimed they were throttled and did some research. However, it makes no sense that they can throttle 3G, and not 4G.

Either way, I use between 5-7 GB's on 3G each month for the past two years, and haven't had a problem. Sure, the network will become congested and my service will slow to a crawl, but that's not being throttled.

As I mentioned, someone a week or two back posted 80 GB's of usage on 3G, and that seemed "normal" to them. That said, we can probably assume they're technically abusing 3G, but have never heard a peep from VZW.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i use about 10 gig on each of my 3 lines. i am guilty of tethering not a lot but some .. most of my usage is netflix on my phone. no throttling here.. it does slow down occasionly but i think that is due to congestion not throttling

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I don't believe in throttling, I see it as a myth. Verizon agreed to work with Netflix by providing an app. By doing so they were aware that data usage would go up. They're also in discussions with RedBox about bringing a streaming service for Verizon, this will further bring data usage up.

I keep hearing warnings of people getting throttled, but I have yet to see someone actually who got throttled. I use about 6gb the past two months ever since I upgraded to my Nexus. I've recently gotten a slingbox so my usage will most likely go up again. I'll report back if I get throttled, but to my knowledge of this myth, only 3g gets throttled so I won't be effected. However, compared to many other members, 6gb is very little for them and I like to think I'm in a high Verizon population area, so 6gb doesn't put much of a mark on the towers I'm connected to. I'll definitely report back IF I'm ever throttled, but don't look forward to such a thread.:p

alboboy10

Reaction score
Att throttles. Verizon doesn't. My friends with iPhones are all being throttled att even sent them a message telling them so

soulshot96

Reaction score
I use a lot. And I don't get throttled. And by a lot I mean a LOT.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE

OP
xxwabbit

xxwabbit

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I have decided to keep unlimited. I tried out pdanet for the first time in a long time and it went flawless. I also hooked up the laptop with wireless app and was able to use the internet on the phone at the same time. I only use it when I'm traveling and if there is no internet available in a hotel. With the amount of available wifi hotspots, should keep usage down. Still would like to get rid of home internet tho. It's just me and my wife and I don't download/stream music or videos very much.