Gingerbread

cece5702

Reaction score
Okay so let me make sure I got this correct! Everyone should have Gingerbread by the end of the week via OTA but it will b available on June 1st for everyone to manually push through?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

leonozug

Reaction score
Okay so let me make sure I got this correct! Everyone should have Gingerbread by the end of the week via OTA but it will b available on June 1st for everyone to manually push through?

The update zip file I sent you a link to IS the OTA. It's Gingerbread .596 directly from Verizon. It is a copy of one that someone got early Friday when they started pushing it out. It's the same file people like you are waiting for. You can wait and see if you get the download from Verizon later in the week or just install the zip like I told you how to do earlier. Your choice. I'm running it on mine right now.

cece5702

Reaction score

The update zip file I sent you a link to IS the OTA. It's Gingerbread .596 directly from Verizon. It is a copy of one that someone got early Friday when they started pushing it out. It's the same file people like you are waiting for. You can wait and see if you get the download from Verizon later in the week or just install the zip like I told you how to do earlier. Your choice. I'm running it on mine right now.

Okay. Is your X running any faster? I'm working up the guts to do this on my own Lol

JXD

Reaction score
Ok so I download the update, install and now I'm on .596 running smooth. Say by the time the OTA hits us early June it's .598 or .601, how can I uninstall .596 and return to froyo so that I can install the official Verizon OTA?

cece5702

Reaction score
Ok so I download the update, install and now I'm on .596 running smooth. Say by the time the OTA hits us early June it's .598 or .601, how can I uninstall .596 and return to froyo so that I can install the official Verizon OTA?

Excellent question! I was wondering the same thing.

Garandhero

Reaction score

Okay. Is your X running any faster? I'm working up the guts to do this on my own Lol

I installed it on my phone last night, wasn't to hard either. I notice a definite speed improvement, my battery seems to be lasting much longer as well. I also really like the new notification bar color, and the ability to hide individual notifications.

Maybe one of the best features thus far though, they FINALLY added contact widget, and 1 press call widget, so you can place shortcuts to your friends on a homescreen and in 1 press dial them up. (or the contact widget opens a contact bar with the ability to text/email or call)

Scrolling through home pages seems smoother and quicker....browsing seems faster to me idk if thats a placebo though or not. My quadrant score went up a lot tho from like 1300-1400 to 1700+....

It also has a new text message layout thats alright, not totally in love with it but its fine.

Only real drawback is no Wireless Tether app anymore.. I am still looking for a free wireless tethering app if anyone knows of one.

anyway def. upgrade if you are thinking about it just do it.

cece5702

Reaction score

I installed it on my phone last night, wasn't to hard either. I notice a definite speed improvement, my battery seems to be lasting much longer as well. I also really like the new notification bar color, and the ability to hide individual notifications.

Maybe one of the best features thus far though, they FINALLY added contact widget, and 1 press call widget, so you can place shortcuts to your friends on a homescreen and in 1 press dial them up. (or the contact widget opens a contact bar with the ability to text/email or call)

Scrolling through home pages seems smoother and quicker....browsing seems faster to me idk if thats a placebo though or not. My quadrant score went up a lot tho from like 1300-1400 to 1700+....

It also has a new text message layout thats alright, not totally in love with it but its fine.

Only real drawback is no Wireless Tether app anymore.. I am still looking for a free wireless tethering app if anyone knows of one.

anyway def. upgrade if you are thinking about it just do it.

Sounds like some nice features with "Gingerbread ". I'm looking forward to it :)

leonozug

Reaction score
As far as I know, .596 is the official build Verizon is using. Nothing has been said about any newer build other than speculation from people on this forum. But to get back to stock for any other build that may be coming out, all you have to do is SBF your phone back to stock 2.2.1 and do a factory reset. It's totally simple and I can send you links of step by step videos on how to do it and all the links to everything you need to do it with. It sounds complicated at first but after seeing how it's done, you will have now problem doing it.

leonozug

Reaction score
Cece, Garandhero was in the same boat you were last night asking about options on how to upgrade to Gingerbread and he did it and said it's not hard at all. Give it a try! Going into stock recovery and applying that update zip is the easiest thing you could ever do with the X. You could be waiting till late this week for all you know, or do it yourself and have it tonight. You won't brick your phone. Stock recovery is fool-proof and safe to use. It's not like you're installing a custom Rom in clockwork recovery or something, the update is directly from Verizon. You can't mess your phone up with it. The only thing that can happen is if you don't rename it to just "update"(no quotations)it may not work and abort. But even if that happens you just reboot and you're back to where you started on Froyo.

arkboy4ever

Reaction score
I tried to download the zip but it only ended up being a few kb... and it's there when I do the reboot thing but when I press the update it say it coyuldnt wotk

leonozug

Reaction score
I tried to download the zip but it only ended up being a few kb... and it's there when I do the reboot thing but when I press the update it say it coyuldnt wotk

It should be 111MB...download it again and make sure it's that size. Rename it to update when you put it on your SD card.

arkboy4ever

Reaction score
I downloaded it a few times and it dist not work. One tome it worked but then I deleted it and now it wont download xompletly again even though it says completed. How do you move it to your card

leonozug

Reaction score
I downloaded it a few times and it dist not work. One tome it worked but then I deleted it and now it wont download xompletly again even though it says completed. How do you move it to your card

That is strange man. You definitely need to make sure you downloaded the update zip completely so it will work right. You've never dragged any files to your SD card like music or anything? Plug your droid x into your computer(that I assume you downloaded the file with)and drag the update file to your SD card. I would always download any files to your computer and then transfer them to your SD card from your downloads. Don't download the update zip file with your phone cause it will be in your download folder and stock recovery won't recognize the file that way. It has to be on the root of your SD card.

IamtheLaw382

Reaction score
leonozug,
Thank you for the advice. I downloaded the update and installed it per your instructions. The Red Eye has been glaring at me for like 3 minutes but hopefully that's alright...

Just to clarify, for any future updates, we'll need to flash the phone back to Froyo?

leonozug

Reaction score
Three minutes?! That's kinda long man. You may want to pull the battery and restart it again. When you installed it in stock recovery, did it say install from SD card complete?