Gingerbread

olean

Reaction score
Anybody know if we'll ever get gingerbread on droid 2?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

dbst

Reaction score
I'm 99.9% sure the D2 will get GB, just gotta be patient

OP
olean

olean

Reaction score
I'm patient. Just wondered if it WILL happen. Not sure if verizon or google is to blame for the slow updates. Any thoughts?

kingsway8605

Reaction score

Never. The droid 2 has a locked bootloader and is not Verizons or Motos flagship device. Why do you think they locked it lol? They lose potential sales if they upgrade you. Sure, in the future you will be less likely to buy a Motorola/Verizon phone, but Apple is the only company that puts customer satisfaction first. Sorry.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
olean

olean

Reaction score
Well, there's 2 completely different answers. I tend to like the first one better, but the second one sounds about right. Any other opinions?

dbst

Reaction score
What does a locked bootloader have to do with official updates? The DX has a locked bootloader and it will definitely get GB

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Never. The droid 2 has a locked bootloader and is not Verizons or Motos flagship device. Why do you think they locked it lol? They lose potential sales if they upgrade you. Sure, in the future you will be less likely to buy a Motorola/Verizon phone, but Apple is the only company that puts customer satisfaction first. Sorry.

What makes you so sure about that? The jot getting gingerbread thing that is.

tappin and a talkin

Psj77

Reaction score
My guess is well get gingerbread 2.4

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

kingsway8605

Reaction score

What makes you so sure about that? The jot getting gingerbread thing that is.

tappin and a talkin

Common sense. It is not in Verizon's or Motorola's corporate interest to provide OS upgrades on phones that have locked bootloaders. That is why the milestone is still on 2.1 despite the droid being on 2.2. The droid 1 is flashable and Verizon provides upgrades just because they hate people flashing custom roms because of free tethering.

Yes, in reality, the bad karma may bite them in the future. But that is not how corporations operate. They focus on short term profits not longterm profits. Providing an OS upgrade means you are less likely to upgrade your hardware. The only company that cares about the customer is Apple, hence the premium you pay for their products.

Your only hope is the Droid x. The droid x will receive at least 1 os upgrade just so verizon can avoid the bad press. The droid 2 is very similar so they may just port it over.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The locked bootloader has nothing to do with updates. The droid x has a locked bl and was released with eclair and updated to Froyo. It may take time but I'd be willing to bet that the current lineup will be updated.

tappin and a talkin

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes Droid X, D2, and D2G will all get GB...the only reason you don't have it yet is due to the issues they had with 2.3 which was going to be GB...now 2.4 is. D2, DX, and D2G will not get Honeycomb from what I have been told.

But we are good. Besides who cares....there will be roms out better anyway. Liberty is pretty freaking good dude.

OP
olean

olean

Reaction score
Hey, good point about eclaire to froyo. Back to being hopeful now.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
The locked bootloader has nothing to do with updates. The droid x has a locked bl and was released with eclair and updated to Froyo. It may take time but I'd be willing to bet that the current lineup will be updated.

tappin and a talkin

Milestone vs Droid 1. Nuff said!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's not really a nuff said type of argument, that's one example that may be affected by a million different reasons.

tappin and a talkin

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gingerbread was DOA. Look at it as 2.0 Eclair on the original droid. You should expect 2.4 Gingerbread (or whatever they call the next phone iteration of android) to be on more phones, if we are lucky that is. Though the next major source drop hasn't been announced yet so who knows when this will happen.