Gingerbread

AngusW

Reaction score
Ok with the official announcement of Android 2.3 any idea when we'll see it on our phones? For those that got the 2.2 update was it OTA or did you have to intiate it yourself?

is there any way to get 2.3 on my phone today? pref with not rooting don't want to chance bricking the phone.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
My guess is 2011 - for the DX - D2 the D1 will probably taste G/B from the devs before any other Droid Does :wink:

D

dankarlinski

i would also have to say 2011. they just announced gingerbread as a root software today. theres no way we will see it anytime soon as an ota, mostly because Moto hasnt gotten their grubby hands on it to load motoblur yet

OP
A

AngusW

Reaction score
When I look at the android site and click the link it sends me to the developers website. I keep on seeing this ADK thing. Is that something for developers to test apps with the new OS. If so would downloading that give me the ability to run 2.3? Or should I just sit and wait?

OP
A

AngusW

Reaction score
Sit and wait could be a problem, I've never been good at being patient.

If the root software is out, does that mean if I were to root my phone (and not brick it) I could somehow get 2.3 on my phone?

D

dankarlinski

the files are there. but they are not configured for a device yet. you could likely install them with some techie know-how, but theres a good change you would have a new paperweight in your office

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
No you can't. Right now you have no option but to wait.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
A

AngusW

Reaction score
Darn. This is going to be tough.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's clear to me that we have left the acceptance stage of 2.2 and moved on to anticipation. Several things could happen. Some Devs may come up with ROMs based on 2.3. Someone may leak a version of 2.3. And of course if that happens you have to make sure it's specifically for the D2, not the D1 or any other Android device.

Aren't there some phones out there still waiting for 2.2? I think the Fascinate is still running 2.1, I could be wrong.

deborah3756

Reaction score
Sure was difficult getting a yes or no answer anywhere else. Should have come here first.

Sent from my DROID2

deborah3756

Reaction score
The LG Ally still hasn't received 2.2 Most realize Ally is the poor man's version of Droid but it's still a droid. No offense to Ally owners which I am one - I have 2 different Droid phones, D2 ROCKS!

Sent from my DROID2

ooboob2

Reaction score
correction: it's the poor man's droid, but it's still an android phone. it is not part of the droid lineup because, no offense, it's a terrible phone and total wimp compared to the droids, galaxy s', and htc phones.