Gingerbread X2

ashclepdia

Reaction score
why wait for the ota? you can update it yourself rooted or unrooted thanks to p3Droid.

I just got a feeling if I do the zip and the OTA gets minor adjustments of things they found wrong with it during the slow release then I wont have the best update available to me ...and it's "official ".. which just sounds nice

This is my first phone in almost seven years and I just don't wanna screw something loads up. I am good wit technology and have learned more than most people do in the month since I've had this phone. Ive even showed my friend a lot of things he didn't try know about on his incredible he had for a while.

But I guess short answer is im just worried lol

ashclepdia

Reaction score
And now for my noob quest..

What does the preroot version allow me to do vs the stock version?

My main thing is wanting to have as much RAM free/available as I can since I am kinda pissed the x2 doesn't have 768mb or 1gb total RAM which would make it an unstoppable phone IMO...I guess cuz then there would be no reason for anyone to buy the other phones ...I just wish I could convince Motorola that if I pay em some money they insert more RAM into my phone and send it back to me...can u tell this lower RAM issue gets to me

garywojdan81

Reaction score
One thing I've learned so far is that you can usually count on the dev community to be responsive to new things. If something does change between the leaked ota & the final ota, somebody somewhere will post the latest & greatest somehow. The best thing you can do is just stay in the loop by checking into these forums habitually like the rest of us flashaholics. But seriously, don't let what MIGHT happen rob you of the advantages of what's already available.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

ashclepdia

Reaction score
One thing I've learned so far is that you can usually count on the dev community to be responsive to new things. If something does change between the leaked ota & the final ota, somebody somewhere will post the latest & greatest somehow. The best thing you can do is just stay in the loop by checking into these forums habitually like the rest of us flashaholics. But seriously, don't let what MIGHT happen rob you of the advantages of what's already available.

Well damn lol

With all the thinking I have doing lately about all this I haven't thought of that at all
Thanks..I think I may just do the zip download tonight sometime.

Another question I've had though is what exactly does prerooted let me do? Can I freeze apps and free up ram or what exactly?

garywojdan81

Reaction score
Yep, prerooted will allow you to freeze/uninstall bloat & to use all those root-requiring apps that make our lives easier. I'm on the unrooted, stock release cuz I couldn't wait the 12hrs or so for the prerooted one. This thing flies, even bloated & odexed though.

Reaction score

My main thing is wanting to have as much RAM free/available as I can since I am kinda pissed the x2 doesn't have 768mb or 1gb total RAM which would make it an unstoppable phone IMO...I guess cuz then there would be no reason for anyone to buy the other phones ...I just wish I could convince Motorola that if I pay em some money they insert more RAM into my phone and send it back to me...can u tell this lower RAM issue gets to me

It allows you to be rooted and the get the most from your phone. Example: I just a few hours ago applied the prerooted version to my phone. I don't know what everyone that has the GB is so high about. This is slow. My launcher redraws. Same problems I have with any android phone. But as I am rooted I can do what I did on the Froyo version. Root, remove bloated apps, and supercharge. Done and done. Now I have a faster phone then before.

Applying the SBF was actually the most difficult part. First time out it didn't fully take I had to wipe catches, flash sbf, and wipe a second time to get a proper clean phone. Then I was able to apply the p3droid's patched update.

ashclepdia

Reaction score
Here is the thing though..I have never rooted before at all and this is my first DROID phone. Can u give me any recommendations to make anything easier if I try this? Can I download the nonroot zip first and if I want to root just install the preroot version the same way and go from there? I also don't have a computer available so can I do everything from my phone?

garywojdan81

Reaction score

It allows you to be rooted and the get the most from your phone. Example: I just a few hours ago applied the prerooted version to my phone. I don't know what everyone that has the GB is so high about. This is slow. My launcher redraws. Same problems I have with any android phone. But as I am rooted I can do what I did on the Froyo version. Root, remove bloated apps, and supercharge. Done and done. Now I have a faster phone then before.

Applying the SBF was actually the most difficult part. First time out it didn't fully take I had to wipe catches, flash sbf, and wipe a second time to get a proper clean phone. Then I was able to apply the p3droid's patched update.

Slow is a matter of perspective. Based on my experience, stock moto is faster than stock samsung. Also, some have found that reapplying supercharger has actually impeded the performance of this release. So use at your own risk.

garywojdan81

Reaction score
Here is the thing though..I have never rooted before at all and this is my first DROID phone. Can u give me any recommendations to make anything easier if I try this? Can I download the nonroot zip first and if I want to root just install the preroot version the same way and go from there? I also don't have a computer available so can I do everything from my phone?

You can do it all from the phone as long as you don't have to use the sbf file. The stock release is fairly straightforward.
Download it, move it to the root of the SD-ext then rename it update.zip.
Enter stock recovery & apply update. Takes awhile to do its thing but it will finish. Then select reboot system & its all good.
The prerooted release has different requirements.
You must be on rooted 2.2.2 with the bootstrap recovery installed. Then boot into recovery & wipe data/dalvik/cache & flash. From what I gather there might be some errors but ultimately it will work. The only method I can personally attest to is the first one though. You can go from unrooted release to prerooted release but you must sbf back to 2.2.2 in between though.

ashclepdia

Reaction score
Okay so I gather I can go from uprooted release to rooted but I need a computer to do sbf? I take it the sbf will take me to rooted 2.2.2 so the rooted ginger can be installed right?

And I don't need exact instructions for any of this just clarification on what I am ABLE to do. I have already been across multiple pages with step by step on how to do everything and knowabout it can be a bit redundant and annoying for everyone to keep asking the same things...I just haven't been able to find the answers straight up for these questions.

garywojdan81

Reaction score
The sbf as the in-between from unrooted to prerooted will put you back to unrooted, bloated complete stock, which you will then need to root and install bootstrap recovery on. As far as what you are able to do once on rooted GB, it's the same as being on any rooted os. You can remove/replace stock apps, install custom roms once they're available & run custom scripts to tweak stuff. There are several threads posted already with recommendations of what's safe to do & how to do it. Check xda forums if you haven't already.

ashclepdia

Reaction score
The sbf as the in-between from unrooted to prerooted will put you back to unrooted, bloated complete stock, which you will then need to root and install bootstrap recovery on. As far as what you are able to do once on rooted GB, it's the same as being on any rooted os. You can remove/replace stock apps, install custom roms once they're available & run custom scripts to tweak stuff. There are several threads posted already with recommendations of what's safe to do & how to do it. Check xda forums if you haven't already.

Kool thanks. But do I NEED a computer to sbf?

And any specific thread link to xda would be greatly appreciated. If not ill run some searches. Thanks again for clarification

garywojdan81

Reaction score

Kool thanks. But do I NEED a computer to sbf?

And any specific thread link to xda would be greatly appreciated. If not ill run some searches. Thanks again for clarification

Yes, a computer & the program called rsd lite 5.3 to push it to the phone.

Just google xda-developers. There's even an app in the market for them.

OP
BetoVazq

BetoVazq

Reaction score
Finally its here...downloading gingerbread!