Gingerbread vs. Froyo!

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by mojo_droid, Mar 3, 2011.

1. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Theme Developer
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +266
    I think the bugs with GB are very annoying ATM - not sure when (or if) they can be worked out for D1. I am not even close to being as knowledgeable as you devs (that's why I just play with pictures :)), so I can not say for certain whether or not the D1 can handle GB. But, all I know I is I would love to see a supported froyo ROM out there until these kinks are worked out with GB ...

#49 YankInDaSouth, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  2. bdsaur

bdsaur Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I vote froyo, I love the features of GB but that doesn't compare to the stability and smoothness of froyo. Battery life is much better on froyo, at least on my phone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

3. Riley

Riley Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I voted Froyo as well. I have tried all the GB Rom's and something always gets me to end up going back to a Froyo Rom. I've almost gone full circle and returned my D1 back to bone stock :O But not yet! The froyo custom Rom's are rock solid and fast.

4. ajohn7211

ajohn7211 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't get me wrong, I do love gingerbread. But at the same time, I'm heavily considering going back to 4.2.

Issues I'm having with 5.0.2:
    >not getting texts (was having this problem with 4.2 as well but it might not be my phone as the problem so i'm not sure)
    > the lack of FB contact sync is annoying
    >GB's task killer is WAY too aggressive
    >some of the missing PE options are making me miss 4.2
    >the over scroll glow color changer doesnt work with all apps
    > market problems (could be because of GB's task killer)

Things I like/love about GB:
    >great battery life
    >screen animations
    >the battery graph

PE is the best and most stable rom i've had the pleasure of using and I am very grateful to the devs. I hope that the problems in GB get ironed out or would love to see another froyo update.

5. dominus

dominus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Gingerbread by far. 5.0.2 is the most stable ive run so far. its just not as easy for a noob to flash and run with no glitches. but once you get things figured out and settings set you can be like me running 72 hours hard with no lag, reboots, force closes, or freezes.

PE for the win dancedroid

6. skruid

skruid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Gingerbread for sure, 5.0.2 is awesome and I don't have any problem with it like others have, don't know how these problems happen, but they don't happen on my phone, keep on with the gingerbread, keep on it will be great like froyo 4.2

7. skruid

skruid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I get all messages, my phone syncs with facebook, keep going with gingerbread it is great and fastfast

8. Exayex

Exayex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So basically, people are crying "waaah! Gingerbread isn't 100% yet! Go work on a rom that's already perfect, problem-free, and has more than likely hit it's devlopmental ceiling!"...

That makes perfect sense. Look guys, if you think Gingerbread is too buggy, then feel free to run FroYo until the devs work out the kinks. But being discouraged by what, 2 weeks? and 1 major release is kind of sad. FroYo roms weren't perfect when they first landed, either. They had bugs. And it took a lot of time and developer support to iron it out.

If you guys want to stay up to date and use the bleeding edge software, you've got to be prepared to experience some bugs.

Also, look how many top end developers have moved onto GB. Do you guys really think 4.2 has much more room for improvement?

I wish people presented another reason than "Gingerbread has bugs." The devs will address those bugs with time. They aren't going to ignore them. That's part of development.

9. illmatic636

illmatic636 Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Man, I have to agree that GingerBread is the BeezNeez. But, Our Droid 1's really don't have the hardware to support it in its fullest. I'm back to PE 4.2 Froyo. Won't due GB until I get My Bionic. Whenever that may be.

10. illmatic636

Ratings:
    +2
    Why is it that you want other reasons for people not liking GingerBread due to bugs. I don't think it's "Crying" but more like expressing why they choose not to go GB all the way. Most people due need 100% functionality out of their devices. Some like to dabble on experimental Roms. Hence; GingerBread, MIUI, etc...

I would re frame from flaming people on this site for no reason. It will come back to you 10 fold as your post count increases.

11. Exayex

Exayex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Lol @ post count eliticism. This is the reason most forums have done away with post count nowadays. And if you think anything I said there was close to flaming, you've lived a sheltered life and are too emotionally fragile to be on any sort of forum.

My phone is 100% functional with GB. Gingerbread will get it's kinks out with time, but not if devs are wasting their time on perfected roms like 4.2. I'm pretty sure with the mentality that "It has kinks, just perfect what's already perfect instead!", we'd still be living in caves, dragging our knuckles while we walk and breathing from our mouths.

12. illmatic636

Ratings:
    +2
    Exayex, How longs have you had Gingerbread on your Droid? Just curious cause most of the GB Roms start off great, but over time become sluggish. The Ram used by the OS is pretty heavy. Only issue I have had that keeps PE 5xx from being mu daily is the 3G issue after a call. You may not notice it at times, but sometimes, It never comes back.

Search tags for this page
advantage of gingerbread over froyo
advantages of froyo over gingerbread
advantages of gingerbread over froyo
benefits of gingerbread over froyo
custrom froyo to gingerbread
froyo vs gingerbread
gingerbread over froyo

gingerbread vs froyo

is gingerbread better than froyo
what are the advantages of gingerbread over froyo