Gingerbread update - reinstall bloatware?

tod bringer

Reaction score
I have a droid 2 which I rooted using Z4. I haven't installed a new rom or anything drastic, but I have used titanium backup to delete all the excess software I didn't want, including the default Home App.

I know that when the update comes out, I need to unroot, but do I also have to reinstall all the bloatware before I update? If so, how would one do that? I've heard something about SBF, not sure exactly if its necessary.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a droid 2 which I rooted using Z4. I haven't installed a new rom or anything drastic, but I have used titanium backup to delete all the excess software I didn't want, including the default Home App.

I know that when the update comes out, I need to unroot, but do I also have to reinstall all the bloatware before I update? If so, how would one do that? I've heard something about SBF, not sure exactly if its necessary.

Maybe not all of it but yes, there are specific files it will look for. That's why those of us who have been around recommend that you just change the file type from .apk to something else.

Not to worry however, in our stickies I believe in the D2 hacking area there is a copy of every .apk file.

OP
T

tod bringer

Reaction score
What would happen if those apps it looks for don't exist? Does the update simply fail, or could it brick my device?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK so im excited for this ota but how much different is it going to be from the gb leak we have now? I mean especially if on a custom like liberty. I would hate to lose root for an ota that is similar to the monster update file

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
What would happen if those apps it looks for don't exist? Does the update simply fail, or could it brick my device?

You won't be able to get the update. Like hookbill said, i would go into titanium backup and uncheck the chuck Norris mode. There is the option to freeze Bloat apps which hides them from the system. When you need them back, like in this case, you just do a batch defrost and you're good to go. For future reference...

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8

xrp861

Reaction score
D2 isn't getting gb sorry to tell you that. Vzw and moto confirmed this it has been discussed in many threads. The d2 was eol after d2g came out. If you haven't noticed they're not even on display in the vzw store anymore and is also replaced by assurion and vzw when you have to send your d2 back for warranty or lost issues.

xrp861

Reaction score
I kno assurion has nothing to do with ota updates. I was just saying that the d2 is no more and was and is still being replaced with the d2g.

As far as the ota update for the d2....the$ wg forum has a thread about gb for the d2g and I had said the same thing I said here about the d2 getting gb and another member called vzwband moto and has been confirmed now gb for the d2. You have to remember a leak is a leak for a reason and not all devices that have been released will see the gb update its just a given because the cell providers want you to buy new devices. I mean hell the x2 doesn't have gb and its a brand new flag ship device.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Im sorry but I can't understand what your trying to say in the slightest. All I was saying was that gingerbread IS expected to be released for the Droid 2. Obviously, no one knows for absolute sure but the leaks have indicated that motorola is/was at some point working on gingerbread for the droid 2. I just refuse to believe that an almost completely stable moto build/leak of gingerbread for the droid 2 would just be abandoned and not eventually released OTA. Not to mention that several sources have stated that gingerbread would be released to the droid 2.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I almost thought that was the gingerbread update doc! That would have been sweet. But it's just the 2.3.2 system update :(

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8