Gingerbread update - reinstall bloatware?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2' started by tod bringer, Jun 18, 2011.

1. tod bringer

tod bringer New Member

I have a droid 2 which I rooted using Z4. I haven't installed a new rom or anything drastic, but I have used titanium backup to delete all the excess software I didn't want, including the default Home App.

I know that when the update comes out, I need to unroot, but do I also have to reinstall all the bloatware before I update? If so, how would one do that? I've heard something about SBF, not sure exactly if its necessary.
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Maybe not all of it but yes, there are specific files it will look for. That's why those of us who have been around recommend that you just change the file type from .apk to something else.

Not to worry however, in our stickies I believe in the D2 hacking area there is a copy of every .apk file.
  3. tod bringer

tod bringer New Member

What would happen if those apps it looks for don't exist? Does the update simply fail, or could it brick my device?
  4. ldopa

ldopa New Member

OK so im excited for this ota but how much different is it going to be from the gb leak we have now? I mean especially if on a custom like liberty. I would hate to lose root for an ota that is similar to the monster update file

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8
  5. ldopa

ldopa New Member

You won't be able to get the update. Like hookbill said, i would go into titanium backup and uncheck the chuck Norris mode. There is the option to freeze Bloat apps which hides them from the system. When you need them back, like in this case, you just do a batch defrost and you're good to go. For future reference...

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8
  6. xrp861

xrp861 New Member

D2 isn't getting gb sorry to tell you that. Vzw and moto confirmed this it has been discussed in many threads. The d2 was eol after d2g came out. If you haven't noticed they're not even on display in the vzw store anymore and is also replaced by assurion and vzw when you have to send your d2 back for warranty or lost issues.
  7. patmw123

patmw123 New Member

8. xrp861

xrp861 New Member

I kno assurion has nothing to do with ota updates. I was just saying that the d2 is no more and was and is still being replaced with the d2g.

As far as the ota update for the d2....the$ wg forum has a thread about gb for the d2g and I had said the same thing I said here about the d2 getting gb and another member called vzwband moto and has been confirmed now gb for the d2. You have to remember a leak is a leak for a reason and not all devices that have been released will see the gb update its just a given because the cell providers want you to buy new devices. I mean hell the x2 doesn't have gb and its a brand new flag ship device.
  9. xrp861

xrp861 New Member

D2g*

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  10. patmw123

patmw123 New Member

Im sorry but I can't understand what your trying to say in the slightest. All I was saying was that gingerbread IS expected to be released for the Droid 2. Obviously, no one knows for absolute sure but the leaks have indicated that motorola is/was at some point working on gingerbread for the droid 2. I just refuse to believe that an almost completely stable moto build/leak of gingerbread for the droid 2 would just be abandoned and not eventually released OTA. Not to mention that several sources have stated that gingerbread would be released to the droid 2.
  11. xrp861

xrp861 New Member

12. ldopa

ldopa New Member

We have the leak anyway so who cares?

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8
  13. hookbill

14. patmw123

patmw123 New Member

Here's to you xrp861. (Raising my beer)
  15. ldopa

ldopa New Member

I almost thought that was the gingerbread update doc! That would have been sweet. But it's just the 2.3.2 system update :(

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8
  16. hookbill

Yeah, it says 2.3.2! :(

But he's still wrong. It is coming to D2. I got better sources then he has ;)
  17. ldopa

ldopa New Member

I don't doubt that and I'm confident that we'll get it. These forums are full of hype and rumor. Its good to know some people can back up the claims they make.

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8
  18. xrp861

xrp861 New Member

Um yea apperently nobody read that post I linked to! There's alot of posts on this forum about it. Im pretty sure if the d2 was getting it it'd have came out after the dx got it being as they're basicly the same setup. But whatever I really don't care if it comes oiut for the d2 as I have 2 d2g so I know for a fact I am getting the update. I was just simply telling you what I've read and what has been confirmed. No need to be ignorant because you don't know how to operate the search bar! Its beyond ridiculous how many threads there is on this board about the same stuff because nobody searches......
  19. ldopa

ldopa New Member

Dude, please don't insult my intelligence. I search before I speak and your claims are based on other people's posts about the d2 not getting gb. Just because someone posts saying they spoke to a "rep" at moto/and or verizon, doesn't make it the least bit true. There is only rumor, no fact. Plus, how many times has a vz rep actually known what they are talking about? I spoke with vz and moto and they said the d2 was getting gb. Well? Either way I don't care. The d2 has a great leak with sick roms. I'm not going to complain if the d2 doesn't get it an ota, but i will argue that posts are not fact. Just opinion. I would like a document or some kind of actual evidence for this claim outside of a post. I see stuff like this, but who really knows?

http://m.blogs.computerworld.com/18077/android_23_upgrade_list?mm_ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fm%3Faq%3Df%26oq%3D%26aqi%3D-k0d0t0%26fkt%3D43%26fsdt%3D16136%26cqt%3D%26rst%3D%26htf%3D%26his%3D%26maction%3D%26q%3DWhen%2Bis%2Bthe%2Bdroid%2B2%2Bgetting%2Bgingerbread%253F%2B%26flip%3D0

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8
Search tags for this page
bloatware wont reinstall
do i need to reinstall bloatware before accepting ota

reinstall bloatware

reinstall bloatware droid bionic
reinstall system default bloatware from galaxy s4
uninstall bloatware android gingerbread