Gingerbread update borked X2

cogpsy

Reaction score
My wife's X2 received an prompt to update to 2.3 this morning. After downloading, installing (presumably) and rebooting, the phone's touchscreen is completely unresponsive. The phone has subsequently rebooted itself about 12 times but after each reboot, its still unresponsive (the power button turns on the lock screen but we can't unlock it because the touchscreen is unresponsive). Any suggestions? I tried removing the battery and the microSD card but after booting up again, the touchscreen is still unresponsive.

socalocalsd

Reaction score
how to boot into recovery:
Power phone off
power phone on while holding volume down till it says "fast boot" on top
scroll down with the down volume till you see the recovery selection and press volume up to select it.
Once in recovery use up and down volume to navigate and the power to select

OP
C

cogpsy

Reaction score
boot into recover

Thanks for the help. When I tried to boot into recovery, the phone hangs on the screen with an exclamation mark with the android robot. Nothing more happens (been waiting for about 10 minutes). I assume something else should happen?

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Press the volume up + volume down button simultaneously. It should pop up the menu. Do a factory reset, clear cache, then reboot. Hope all works.

OP
C

cogpsy

Reaction score
touch screen

Thanks again. After following your instructions, I've concluded that the touchscreen is hosed. The reset appears to have worked but the screen still will not respond to finger presses (I'm prompted to touch the Android logo to begin setup but the phone doesn't respond to presses). In addition, the phone continues to reboot periodically on its own. Prior to installing the OTA update, there were no problems with the touchscreen. I have no idea how the update could have screwed up the touchscreen but none of these problems arose until after attempting the gingerbread update.

socalocalsd

Reaction score
does the change language button or skip button at the bottom work if you touch them? I remember having a similar problem on my DX a while back but not sure how i worked around it.

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks again. After following your instructions, I've concluded that the touchscreen is hosed. The reset appears to have worked but the screen still will not respond to finger presses (I'm prompted to touch the Android logo to begin setup but the phone doesn't respond to presses). In addition, the phone continues to reboot periodically on its own. Prior to installing the OTA update, there were no problems with the touchscreen. I have no idea how the update could have screwed up the touchscreen but none of these problems arose until after attempting the gingerbread update.

Im very sorry to hear that this didn't fix it. Rather than messing with it yourself, call Verizon technical support and they should promptly over night a replacement phone. And heck, if you want a free upgrade, tell them that its due to the most recent 2.3.3 update on the DROIDX2 and request a phone that is not on this version. Usually they want you to stay within the same manufacturer,so, you could get a Droid3 which is what im considering ditching my X2 for. Its BS that we received buggy 2.3.3 as opposed to 2.3.4.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score

Im very sorry to hear that this didn't fix it. Rather than messing with it yourself, call Verizon technical support and they should promptly over night a replacement phone. And heck, if you want a free upgrade, tell them that its due to the most recent 2.3.3 update on the DROIDX2 and request a phone that is not on this version. Usually they want you to stay within the same manufacturer,so, you could get a Droid3 which is what im considering ditching my X2 for. Its BS that we received buggy 2.3.3 as opposed to 2.3.4.

A little off-topic but don't ditch your X2 for a D3. I ditched my D3 for an X2 and couldn't be happier. The battery life on the D3 is absolutely terrible. On the X2 i can EASILY go a full day (with just the stock battery!) and I usually do A LOT of texting. The D3 needed a charge by mid-day usually.