1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Gingerbread Trouble

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Development' started by DroidDystroyer, Sep 5, 2011.

1. DroidDystroyer

DroidDystroyer New Member

OK. VZW Pushes Gingerbread. Great - been waiting for it, so what I'll have to root again. So I update - and go through hell to root. Finally, get it rooted manually - but Barnacle is still dead, so I say wtf and decide to swap roms - but can't get clockwork installed. Bought ROM Manager, but can't get Clockwork running. Grabbed flash_image thinking I could just force it on that way - but it won't take it off /sdcard. (No file or directory). When pushed to /system/bin I get "flash_image unexpected ")"" I'm about to jump, or give up and pay VZW the $. (Actually, I'll probably jump!) Can anyone save another noob today?
  2. Communisum

Communisum New Member

I would maybe start from the beginning again.... sorry, my cwr works fine... im runnin ota gb rooted with the one click method, worked just fine for me.
  3. DroidDystroyer

Can't start over...

The problem is I can't just start from the beginning. To get back to the start, I'd have to get Froyo back. I need clockwork for that - and clockwork doesn't work. I have root - but "one-click" didn't work, because I had root before, and it failed at updating the files. So, I opened the script, executed the commands one at a time, with rename of a file (mv) here and there. I have root - but I need to patch the OS so clockwork runs before everything else...
  4. ldopa

ldopa New Member

5. xm0067

xm0067 New Member

+1. Sbf fixes everything.

Sent from my Apex-ed Overclocked DROID 2
  6. ldopa

ldopa New Member

Another good one.

CM7GB-601
  7. christianrocks

christianrocks New Member

how do you do that? sorry im new o all this but i have sbfed my phone and have it on .330 and i really want the gb i have the gb leak for d2g from rw but i when i try to install it by shutting off my phon and power it on hold x key etc. and applying the file it would say "installation aborted" i already reanamed the file to "update.zip" and everything do i need to get z4root and d2 bootstappe or something? im confused please help! thanks!
  8. christianrocks

i tried doing that and what i thought was gb it wasnt i did the system update and i just got .330..
  9. christianrocks

i sbfed my phone.. then i wanted to see if i could get the gb and so i did the system update when it was done, i checked im just running system version 2.4.330 and android version 2.2
  10. christianrocks

yup. its says im up to date.. i tried it alot and i understand that only some people got it due to the invitation of the soak test from motorola via email
  11. ldopa

ldopa New Member

He is on a d2 global, right?

CM7GB-602
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  12. christianrocks

ahh man toatlly didnt know this was a droid 2 forum sorry still new at this site.. whats CM7GB-601?
  13. ldopa

ldopa New Member

Cyanogenmod 7 based off the latest gingerbread (.602)

CM7GB-602
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  14. christianrocks

how do i do that??
  15. Lbevans2

Lbevans2 New Member

Phone wont properly flash back to Froyo

Ive done this before using RSD lite and it has worked fine.

When i originally had froyo on my droid2 i used z4 to root it. I got the OTA for Gingerbread updated but then my phone was not properly rooted.

I read some forums and decided to flash back to froyo without rooting it, then OTA update and reroot with droid 3 one click method.

However i cannot get it to properly flash back to froyo, after rsd completes its process and my phone is back on, instead of getting the android wizard like you just opened the phone, my old wallpaper is still on my phone and i can no longer access my setting or even click anything on my phone.

I'm in fear that i have actually Bricked my phone for good. Ive tried the RSD process back to froyo multiple times with a charged battery.. same problem everytime.

You guys have any ideas? it would be much appreciated. Thanks
  16. Lbevans2

Lbevans2 New Member

Got it

Okay well I just answered my own question.. I'm an idiot and all i had to do was clear the cache and reset back to factory by booting into recovery.. I cant beleive i forgot to do that
  17. DroidDystroyer

Isn't this like using a sledge hammer, rather than a scalpel?

If I have to, i'll set aside a lot of time and give it a shot, but it feels like I'd be using a sledge hammer, when all I really need is a good sharp knife. I have root. I can get to the VZ version of Clockwork to flash partitions. It just knows it isn't one of theirs because it isn't signed. Isn't there some way to tell the VZ flash utility not to bother looking for a sig? Or maybe use flash_image (or something) to get clockwork in place? Having to re-provision my phone and start over makes me nervous - especially with all the people posting that they still can't get barnacle to work either... Like I said, I have root on the thing, just not until after the os gets running. I'm afraid VZ may have tweaked the network stack to redirect anyone to their utility anyway, so barnacle just isn't going to work. The goal isn't root. I have root. The goal is not having to pay VZ twice for data. (He'll we pay for broadband at home, then again on the phone, now we gotta pay the for the phone data twice? Why does the FCC allow this ****? Really???)

Has anyone with a Droid 2 been able to get root, clockwork loaded, and barnacle to work? (Oneclick root or any other means?)
  18. atmiller70

atmiller70 New Member

NOOB here. Have a Droid 2 with stock ROM that I rooted basically for the free wi-fi tethering. Since I had also installed clockworkmod I had to flash sbf in order to get the gb ota. So I flashed sbf. Did the gb ota but now I can't get into debugging mode no matter which type of usb connection I use. Do I need to start over & wipe cache & factory reset before doing the ota update?
  19. atmiller70

atmiller70 New Member

How were you able to to do the OTA without unrooting? I could go back & flash SBF, root it & then update OTA.
  20. Lbevans2

Lbevans2 New Member

Okay so my journey is I had froyo rooted, the OTA (gingerbread) came available and I was able to update while rooted (apparantly if you didn't remove the bloatware it will allow u to update while rooted).
    Then once I had gingerbread on there I couldn't get rooted. So I had to SBF back to froyo and then update back to ginger.
    Once I had ginger on the phone fresh I used the DROID3 one click method and i succeded.
    What I haven't figured out yet is how to get tether, apparantly there's a beta out of wireless tether (not barnacle) that if you tweak the settings you can get it to work.. but I haven't found a solid fix yet. Verizon is trying to block all the tether apps which is BS but its only a matter of time untill we have an easy user friendy tether to use.
    Has anyone droid 2 with OTA gingerbread (rooted) been able to get tether working?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
Search tags for this page

trouble with gingerbread