Gingerbread Test Build

tebower

Reaction score
I thought people here would be encouraged by this news - in case you haven't already seen this post at the Moto forums.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/374933

Apparently, multiple test builds of Gingerbread for the D2G have been tested, and this current one has stuck around for about a month with no further updates. This might mean that most of the bugs are out and that public release could be imminent within the month.

jojoferari

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this! I can hardly wait.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Benton

Reaction score
Could use a change of feel, timing seems good.

ben7337

Reaction score
Why is the kernel version 2.6.32.9? Shouldn't it be something newer? My droid 2 global on 2.2 has the same kernel base. Google tells me that Gingerbread 2.3.4 uses 2.6.35 not 2.6.32, unless google updated within 2.3 to the new 35 kernel between 2.3.3 and 2.3.4, I imagine that picture is 100% fake. I could be wrong though, if anyone knows more about linux kernel versions used in android please feel free to chime in.

chrisl20

Reaction score
Maybe they r making a tweak or two on the gingerbread android base, making sure its working before they put an updated kernel on it...that way if there are issues, they know what its coming from, or have a better idea at least...idk, that's the only thing I can think of, but, im just trying to remain optimistic

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Android is a distribution. It's not really bound to a certain kernel version; for example, if a newer kernel has issues running on certain hardware, there's no need to postpone the package set update.

F.ex., you can most definitely run Android 2.3.4 on a 2.6.18 kernel with a set of corresponding patches (hardware support-related).