Gingerbread? So whats the real deal?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Krooked247, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Krooked247

Krooked247 New Member

I dont wanna sound slow but I've been out the loop for a while.

I keep hearing a whole lot about gingerbread and it coming and people i see are developing roms based on it.

I know it is an update to the android os but what exactly is everyone so excited/ in such a hurry for?

What is it gonna do?

Will there be any real significant difference or capabilities cuz of it or will it just be a slightly different interface(icons, font, boot animation).
    The way everyone is anticipating it gives me the impression that it is gonna be different/better, but if it is just some differences in appearance then i feel like I could care less about it( thats what a theme is for right?).

Dont get me wrong im sure it will be "better" as it is an update but i was wondering if anyone really knows what will be updated or the changes we will see.

Appreciate any info someone could enlighten me with.
    Thanks again droid community.
  2. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

Gingerbread:

Os update

Better speed and performance, and it looks quite nice

Boots up significantly faster, if you use the kernal it comes with

I love it, and I hope u do too

Sent from my Full Android using Tapatalk
  3. Dj Carpenter

Dj Carpenter New Member

The tv animation for when the screen turns off is a nice addition as well.
  4. datsyuk

datsyuk New Member

I'm using Rebakedv2 right now and do not have the tv off animation like you do.
  5. Dj Carpenter

Dj Carpenter New Member

Actually, I don't have it:dry:
    I wish I did though. I'm running MIUI so I don't know if they'll even port that into the ROM or not. I don't know if any Gingerbread will be in there period. Only time will tell. Hopefully though, I like some of the features. The HTC Desire Gingerbread theme for Oxygen 2.0-RC1 has the animation so I don't know why yours wouldn't have it by now. I'm sure they're working on it though.
  6. datsyuk

datsyuk New Member

Just making sure mine wasn't missing lol. Hopefully it comes in soon, that's pretty cool. My buddy with a Droid Incredible told me his does early today, didn't know what he was talking about until I just youtube'd it.
  7. Dj Carpenter

Dj Carpenter New Member

Yeah, there is a video on the home/news page of a dev who has version out for the Incredible right now with the animation and a gingerbread boot animation, etc. Really surprised we haven't gotten it though. Especially with so many devs when it comes to the Droid 1.
  8. KeithR

KeithR New Member

miui was the first dev team i believe to promise a gingerbread update 2 weeks after the aosp was released. i guess that will be tomorrow, but it will probably first be in chinese and then translated to english eventually.

9. hoppermi

hoppermi New Member

The D1-MIUI rom will not be GB based anytime soon. MIUI develops for Nexus 1, Desire, and milestone. Nexus 1 will be first to get GB w/ all the updated drivers and other hardware specific files. Until motorola releases GB for Droid, all the builds will be using froyo proprietary files, this is why stuff isn't working fully in these source builds that are coming out.
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  10. KeithR

KeithR New Member

must have read it wrong as it was in chinese and my chinese isn't that good.
    they did say something about getting a release out 2 weeks after gingerbread code was released. i suppose it will be for the nexus one then.
  11. Dj Carpenter

Dj Carpenter New Member

Who knows. I want it included in our MIUI builds though. I can't even read Chinese so...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App