Gingerbread Problems + Solution

pendetim

Reaction score
Running a unrooted X2 that took the OTA update last week. I did not do a factory reset as that was not part of the upgrade instructions.

Post GB update issues:

1. GPS for photo tagging is showing "unknown location". GPS location for Google Maps, Poynt etc does work, but slow to find location.

2. Lost unlock slider during a charge cycle while phone was in sleep mode. Now pressing on Home button take me directly to active home screen.

3. LED flash is still useless. 80% of the time it fires, it is not synced with picture. At lease LED makes a good flashlight.

4. Picture and HD quality is still poor. The 3MP camera in my Blackberry Tour takes pictures and videos that are 200% sharper that this phone. Yes I know it is a phone, but for me it is a step backwards compared to my BB.

5. Signal Issues. Don't know if phone related however I am seeing a lot of flipping between 3G/1X and 0 bars to full bars while stationary in one place, Yes I have done the *228 thing several times. I am in Southern Delaware along the DE/MD state line 3.61 miles due West of the intersection of Rt 1 and Rt 54 on Fenwick Island.

Last edited:

ELH

Reaction score
I can second the above issues regarding the server certificate errors and the flipping between 3G/1X even with strong signal.

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
One thing that I noticed with GB is when doing a voice search, the keybord remains on web pages.

sevenwords

Reaction score
So glad I returned this phone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
My notifacation light hasn't been lighting up after a text message comes through any more.

I find that this happens if I lock the phone when im still in then messaging app.

It's pretty annoying, by far the most annoying bug I've had in gingerbread (maybe im lucky?)

Other than that all is good :) Very happy with the update. :reddroid:

gr8scott_o

Reaction score
I am using the messaging app to access my Yahoo mail account, and have noticed the following problems since 2.3.x (OTA update, non-rooted): 1) Many empty messages from Dec 31, 1969. They MAY correlate to messages that I deleted from within the Messaging app itself, but not positive about that.
I have been watching these carefully over the last couple of days, and I can finally correlate these to something! Whenever I get an email notifying me of a response to a subscribed thread on Motorola Support Forums, they show up on my device as empty messages with the send date of Dec 31st, 1969. Oh, the irony!

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have an issue since I upgraded to GB... my contacts and dialer force close. I had to go into the market and get Go DIaler and Go Contacts which, work perfectly fine and I kind of enjoy their features. Anyway, my point is, stock contacts and dialer force close. I am running P3's pre rooted GB.

garywojdan81

Reaction score
I have an issue since I upgraded to GB... my contacts and dialer force close. I had to go into the market and get Go DIaler and Go Contacts which, work perfectly fine and I kind of enjoy their features. Anyway, my point is, stock contacts and dialer force close. I am running P3's pre rooted GB.

Did you remove any bloat? The blur contact app is kinda finicky with interdependencies.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Did you remove any bloat? The blur contact app is kinda finicky with interdependencies.

I did as a matter of fact. I haven't seen this much bloat since I watched the detectives on CSI fish a body out of the river! I didn't know that much useless crap could fit in one place. Oh well, maybe I will try removing the stock contacts as well since it's useless. I will break it til it works! As a sidenote, while driving home using the car dock, i noticed two things. 1st, when the phone fully recharged it turned itself off. 2nd, in navigation, why does the screen ficker back and forth from dim to bright every 2 seconds? That didn't happen on Froyo.

Elite49

Reaction score
I did as a matter of fact. I haven't seen this much bloat since I watched the detectives on CSI fish a body out of the river! I didn't know that much useless crap could fit in one place. Oh well, maybe I will try removing the stock contacts as well since it's useless. I will break it til it works! As a sidenote, while driving home using the car dock, i noticed two things. 1st, when the phone fully recharged it turned itself off. 2nd, in navigation, why does the screen ficker back and forth from dim to bright every 2 seconds? That didn't happen on Froyo.

Same thing happened to me, its something you froze (well duh lol) but it was so long ago that this was released and I fixed it that I can't remember.It was something that either I didn't know what it was or something that looked like bloat and wasn't. I have voice search freezing all the time now.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Elite, it's nothing I froze.. I flat out deleted it. :)

I also noticed something else this morning that wasn't happening before GB. If I want to share a picture, if I choose email as the option, it tells me it can't find any accounts on the phone. It's not seeing my Yahoo account on K9 like it did with Froyo.

To anyone reading all the negativity in this thread about this phone, regardless of it's pitfalls, I actually love the phone. The size is what gets me I think. I do dearly miss my unlocked bootloader on my D1 though. It made fixing errors like these mentioned easier to do on your own without a lot of hassle. Give me a 4.3" screen on an unlocked phone and I am all in. Otherwise, X2 til it dies.

ELH

Reaction score
More post GB issues...

1. Auto brightness hit and miss. Does not always adjust correctly when waking the phone. Toggling the phone off/on again corrects the adjustment. It looks like the service that handles this does not wake up in time to react.

2. Phone idle / cell standby ratio 5:1. In Froyo the ratio was about 1:1. Not sure this is a real problem but plenty of folks are already crying about it. On mine, phone idle now burns more battery than the display, but overall battery life is the same or better than Froyo.

3. Direct Dial and Direct Message shortcut mischief. Direct Dial causes the contact storage service to loop and lay waste to the battery. Direct Message causes incoming texts to queue until the next phone reboot. A reboot is required to clear either issue. Best to avoid these features.

Reaction score
My screen freezes at times when the screen is turned off. I press the power button and nothing. I have to take out the battery while my DX2 is still on, just the screen wont turn on at times. :(

I've also been having some problems with messages at times I wont reserve any till an hour or two after the other person replies. I've tested it out with a few friends in class and it took quit some time to reserve their texts.

gr8scott_o

Reaction score
New issue I have just noticed in the past couple of days... when I go to redial a number from my recently dialed contact list, if I press the green phone handset (which ordinarily would immediately dial back the number that called me), I will get a random recent phone number instead of the intended. This doesn't happen all the time (like just now when I went to check the behavior), but it has definitely happened a few times to me so far. If I select the contact, that seems to work fine.