Gingerbread on the D2

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Droid 2 Gingerbread 2.3.3, Tips, Tricks, and Hints.

OK, so let's start talking about some of the new stuff on the D2 with Gingerbread. First, we have a completely different way of accessing our apps. There is a small button on the homepage that brings up the app tray. The little center pop up tab is gone

Maybe this was there before but I noticed in the screen settings a pocket detection. It suppose to turn the screen off automatically for you if you have it in your pocket. Don't know how well that works, I had it in my shirt pocket for about a minute now and it's still lit.

I'm begininning to wonder about the hard buttons. Mines not lighting up like they should, anyone else noticing that?

The trash can is now on the top of the screen. I've noticed it's much easier to move a widget from one home screen to another.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
On the app screen you can now choose to display all apps, or downloaded apps. Really cool.

tb110895

Reaction score
On the app screen you can now choose to display all apps, or downloaded apps. Really cool.

Also, if you're using the stock launcher (I couldn't get it to work with launcherpro) when you press and hold home you get alot better multitasking.
And when your typing id a word is typed wrong, it will get a pink highlight around it

Sent from my DROID2

tb110895

Reaction score
Some other things I noticed are that
1) Now there are profiles for the stock launcher. Pretty cool if you like different setups.
2) I haven't had a single reboot since flashing this
3) the weather widget in the dock has a new, nicer layout
4) It comes with that new copy and paste that comes with gingerbread. Its a lot easier to use in my opinion

Sent from my DROID2

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So everyone is not having a light problem with the hardware buttons? Let me try to reboot and see if that helps.

tb110895

Reaction score
Another thing I noticed that I thought was pretty cool is the new sleep option in the power menu when holding the lock button.
Haven't tried it yet though

Sent from my DROID2

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another thing I noticed that I thought was pretty cool is the new sleep option in the power menu when holding the lock button.
Haven't tried it yet though

Sent from my DROID2

Yep, I noticed that too. Nice.

silverfang77

Reaction score
Does this mean that eventually, Gingerbread will come out as an OTA download from VZW?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since last reset my Battery widget wouldn't load. I had to delete and reinstall but that could be just the app not built to the system and it's only done that once.

Reset seemed to fix light issues on the buttons, they are coming on just fine now.

silverfang77

Reaction score
Woohoo! *jumps up and down*

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App