Gingerbread on the D2

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2' started by Backnblack, Jan 4, 2011.

1. keado

keado New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well im ready and waiting.. lol .. kinda odd is my first smartphone or droid nonetheless... seems weird for verizon too put out a PDF with updating directions with the update yet to be available.. is this the standard for them?

wild... just got off the phone with verizon.. they saying they push it to 30,000 customers a day.. and it could take up to a month for me to get it!!! craZy

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. stixaw

stixaw New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    what ever it is if we want the official Gingerbread on our Droid 2 we have to go back to the sbf from verizon, so far the only Gingerbread for Droid 2 is that Monster that I have found and that was a pre-release Gingerbread.

3. silverfang77

silverfang77 Active Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Who wants to bet that will be the only Gingerbread our phones will ever get? The Monster leak for the D2 came out months ago, way before the D2G got its OTA Gingerbread. Yet the D2 still hasn't received an OTA Gingerbread.

It almost seems like our Gingerbread was just made as a beta test for the DX and D2G's Gingerbread releases and they weren't really planning on giving us anything at all. I think we were just lucky to get this leak.

4. ldopa

ldopa Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Droid 2 is planning to get gb by the end of the 3rd quarter, so don't dismiss the possibility yet

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8-Gingercomb Juiced

5. silverfang77

silverfang77 Active Member

Ratings:
    +43
    That would be what, December?

I'll believe it when I see it, at any rate. :)

6. AndroidCore

AndroidCore New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wanna add my 2 cents on here. First I can totally related to everyone frustration over d2 gingerbread ota. Like the droid x, they soak tested it for 2weeks before it's it for everyone . The same ia being done here. Also, when it is released, give it 24 hrs for someone to take the official update.zip file, root it for ya, and post mirrors for it so you can sbf to that rom and still have root. Or wait fir the official ota, kill your root, wait for someone to figure out how to root it again. Just go with option A. But that's just me.

And then, wait 1wk after ota to see gingy roms pop up out of no where. History tends to repeat itself. D2 gingy update is no exception.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

7. markml0528

markml0528 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd much rather get the official update and keep all of my data perfectly intact with zero effort, than flash a rooted version of the official update. I'm probably in the minority here, but I can live without root for a few weeks until they figure out how to re root it again.

8. stixaw

stixaw New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with markml0528

that is why I took the Monster leaked version of Gingerbread rooted rom off and went back to the Fission 2.6.1 rom I was using previously.
    however it is running the 2.2.1 version of Android so I may just go into verizon and get an official SBF put on and just root it so I can get up todate version of android on.

9. ldopa

ldopa Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    GB is great. The monster file was fine and now I'm on liberty gb 0.8. Minimal, manageable bugs but nothing too bad. If I were you guys, I'd make the jump. I'll never go back to froyo

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8-Gingercomb Juiced

10. stixaw

stixaw New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Minimal bugs? force close stuff drives me crazy and the keyboard has to light up when I am trying to type and it doesn't and its dark that drives me crazy...

ldopa post how you get the GB on that you have I may look at it.. It is worth a try at least.

11. ldopa

ldopa Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I not sure I understand your last sentence above? How did I get gb? If that's the question, i dl the monster leak and flashed it, then dl liberty gb and flashed it. Could you be a little clearer? I'm happy to help you!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

12. TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was skeptical on flashing to v.08 due to the massive reports of bugs and issues by users. I saw very little reporting of it on .07 but ldopa advised me that it was primarily user error rather than ROM error.

So I went ahead and flashed. 08 a few days ago and have not seen one bug yet. I haven't even seen ANY bugs and issues that was reported by other users. This only proves and builds my confidence and share it with others and let them know that the fault doesn't lie in the ROM but rather the users not following step by step to ensure a smooth, bug-free or very minimal amount of bugs and issues, running Liberty v.08 ROM.

If you did something wrong or it has errors, bugs, and such then you, yes you, did something to mess it up. I've been helping this fellow D2 user since liberty 1.5 froyo ROM and he has applied the same procedures as I and has not seen any issues just like Im reporting. We both do the same steps and pay attention to other users errors to avoid something new.

All you have to do is make sure you backed up your apps and data to begin with and reflash .08 the proper way. I do it manually through Recovery because I have full control over what is being done as far as wipe data and cache. Dalvick cache. Battery cache, and so on.

If you're doing things wrong then go back and change your procedures.

Sent from a different galaxy in space...

13. stixaw

stixaw New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ldopa

So you followed the guide to flash the Monster release of GB and then
    downloaded and Flashed the LIberty

Do you jave URL information for the .08 release and where to get it.

that is what I am missing since I know how to get Monster on :)

14. ldopa

ldopa Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I would donate the 5 bucks and get the toolbox pro. If you cannot, i believe there is a link on RootzWiki. Its good to support these guys though!

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8

15. go.nocturn

go.nocturn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i know gingerbread isnt really a major jump and has alot of under the hood tweaks, but i hear people saying they'll never go back to froyo and how gingerbread works wonders; but what i really want to know is

Whats the big difference between froyo and gingerbread?

Search tags for this page
4.1.2 slideshow transition

droid 2 global in pocket detection

how to get to in pocket detection on gingerbread software
pocket detection in android gingerbread