Gingerbread on Original Droid

lenstoner

Reaction score
I'm currently running 2.2.1 rooted. I'm receiving update messages for 2.2.2 (FRG83..). I'm resisting updating because I think I'll lose the rooting and I haven't seen any instructions anywhere for re-rooting to this new os. Is this correct? Also, I've seen sites that have created versions of Gingerbread 2.3.2 for the original Droid. Has anyone attempted loading something like this? My concern with this is that it appears that I would have to wipe out the phone and reinstall all the apps. Assuming that they would work. Thanks for any advice.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I'm currently running 2.2.1 rooted. I'm receiving update messages for 2.2.2 (FRG83..). I'm resisting updating because I think I'll lose the rooting and I haven't seen any instructions anywhere for re-rooting to this new os. Is this correct? Also, I've seen sites that have created versions of Gingerbread 2.3.2 for the original Droid. Has anyone attempted loading something like this? My concern with this is that it appears that I would have to wipe out the phone and reinstall all the apps. Assuming that they would work. Thanks for any advice.

Do you have some version of recovery on your phone? (ClockWorkMod, SPRecovery or RZRecovery)
After seeing your post, I took mine from FRG01B all the way to FRG83G (using Pete Alfonso's OTA files) and nothing changed as far as apps and data when I rebooted into Android. I then applied MotoCache1's root method and had root again. (Verified by using Titanium Backup)

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

OP
L

lenstoner

Reaction score
Thanks Fish. I haven't installed Peter's version yet, just wanted to know if it really works on the original Droid. I think most people recommended that I install SPRecovery.
These are the instructions from Peter's site:
1. Download the file from above and slap in on your SD card
2. Create a backup in recovery or in ROM Manager
3. Boot into recovery.
4. Select “wipe data/factory reset”.
5. Go into the “partitions menu”.
6. Format “Boot”.
7. Format “System”.
8. Go back to the main screen.
9. Install zip from sdcard.
10. Choose zip from sdcard.
11. Navigate to where you have stored the zip file and select it.
12. Choose “yes”, let it install and enjoy!

Can I go directly from 2.1.2 or do I need to perform the FRG83 update first?

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
The files he has are all "from x to x" so you will probably have to do what I did and from from one to another.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Also, look into RZRecovery here in these forums (go to ROMs section>find raidzero>find his ROM post and find the link in his sig - I'd post directly but using DroidForums app right now). It's based on SPRecovery, but raidzero tweaked it and it can do .tz files and no need to rename files "update.zip" just like CWMod. Plus it has some nice customizations as well.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App