Gingerbread nothing more than ADW Launcher??

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by mthorn79, Feb 15, 2011.

1. mthorn79

mthorn79 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    After snooping around CM7's version of Gingerbread, I noticed the home launcher seemed really familiar so I took a look at the running apps & sure enough, there was ADW Launcher running. From running it in the past, you have the option of uninstalling it but not this time...could it be that Gingerbread's base launcher is ADW which makes it unremovable??

If this is the foundation of Gingerbread, then there's really nothing new...other than the black notifications screen & some green colored symbols :\

Anyone else notice this?

---To add to my original post, I realized this is a ROM so it's probably customized with ADW Launcher for CM7, don't remember Pete's stock Gingerbread APK having ADW.

2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    No that is CM's base launcher. Gingerbread's base launcher is similar to Froyo's, maybe with some other enhancements (I have never used it). http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-roms/110459-rom-gingerbread-update-zip-w-gapps.html <-- the AOSP Gingerbread launcher is hosted in jeffv2's ROM link there (under the New folder).

CM used to offer two options when downloading the ROM, Stock Launcher or ADW. Maybe they will start to offer options again once there is an RC. If you install another Launcher, you can remove ADW if you wanted to.

A lot of the changes in Gingerbread are under the hood. The overscrolling animations, CRT animations when you turn the screen on and off are a couple of the new things. New keyboard and power control widget in the notification bar are new as well. I am sure there is more I am forgetting.

3. jeffv2

jeffv2 Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    gingerbread has alot of changes, especially with 2.3.3 .. mostly changes you'll never notice, besides the obvious performance and battery life increase.

Search tags for this page
adw gingerbread launcher
adw launcher for gingerbread

adw launcher gingerbread

adw like launcher for gingerbread
aosp gb lquncher
gingerbread aosp launcher
gingerbread launcher apk stock
gingerbread launcher settings
stock gingerbread launcher apk
stock launcher vs adw