Gingerbread missing "nav bar"?

kevinkar

Reaction score
Just got GB today. Meh. It's a lot like magazines changing layouts and fonts and colors every few years simply for a change. Different look but mostly the same which to me makes it worse for a time because I have to get used to it again even though most of the changes are minor. Still different enough so I have to *think* about how to do things I've been doing for months without thinking!

One thing missing is the "nav bar" (when you swipe between home screens or simply tap the screen, the nav bar pops up from the bottom so you can swipe/tap then hit the far left or right buttons to snap to the far screens or any one in the middle quickly) which I can't find.

So where is it?

When I'm on the far right (games) and want to quickly snap to the far left (social networking widgets) I now have to swipe swipe swipe swipe swipe swipe to get there. OR hit the home hard button and swipe swipe swipe. Either way is WAY slower than a quick tap to bring up the nav bar and one tap to select the screen I want.

Am I just missing something or what? How could they remove such a simple quick selection mechanism like that?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thats the old launcher.
The new launcher does not have that feature anymore.

fenrisswolf

Reaction score
You can tap the home button twice to pull up an overview that will let you go to whatever screen you want. just do it slowly, or you'll get a double tap, which defaults to voice commands.

Last edited:

turdbogls

Reaction score
you can also download another launcher. if you "zoom out" like you would on a browser, you get a preview of all your screens.

i personally HATED that nav bar thing at the bottom of the stock DX launcher. felt it slowed the phone down a lot.

OP
kevinkar

kevinkar

Reaction score
fenrisswolf, thanks for the tip. I guess I'll have to be happy with that method as it's pretty close to the old way although my opinion is that switches can get tired and broken whereas tapping the screen is probably never going to fail. Now I'll be pushing that home button a lot more.... Thanks for pointing that out.

turdbogls, thanks for the suggestion. I've considered different launchers but just haven't gone that route yet. Maybe I'll look into it more now.

Thanks,

Kevin

philnolan3d

Reaction score
I'm not sure I care for it but I came across another way by accident. If you slide your finger up from the bottom of the screen you also get that screen that shoes all of the screens. I feel like it's still slower than the old way though.