Gingerbread Memory Intensive, Why?

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by surfbuckeyesbc, Mar 1, 2011.

1. surfbuckeyesbc

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all!

I have PE 5.0.2 loaded, and its a great ROM, and the lock in memory is a huge help. I am wondering though, why is GB so memory intensive? Are there adjustments that can be made for some of the things we just don't need that would make it run smoother and leave the really glitzy stuff for the Tegra machines? Thoughts?

By the way, this ROM has amazing battery life and no missed texts now that MMS is locked in memory. Just wish i had more than 15 mb of free RAM available. I get a redraw (although very fast) no matter what app I use. Thoughts?

2. dpaine88

dpaine88 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I think it's because Gingerbread is made for new phones that have wayyy more RAM than the OG Droid does. So for them, its probably not very memory intensive. It seems that way for us because we don't have a lot of RAM.

3. buckmarble

buckmarble Developer
    Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +69
    You should try and clear out some system memory with root explorer. I cleaned out a bunch of stuff I don't use and moved the boot animation(10.71mb file) to data/local and ended up with 33mb of free system space. This greatly increased my ram availability due to unused apps running. Went from 60mb avail on boot up to 82mb avail on boot.

4. rabbitfoot

rabbitfoot Member

Ratings:
    +2
    surfbuckeyesbc (O-H!!!),

you mentioned redraws on whatever home app you use. i've noticed that on all of the GB roms i've run, the redraws are much worse if the home app is in /data/app rather than /system/app.

i personally prefer adw launcher, so i run it in /system/app. i hope that helps.

*edit* i just got a thought after writing this. i never had gmail problems until i deleted my old inverted one which was in /system/app to update the new one to /data/app. should i keep it there?

best,
    rf

#4 rabbitfoot, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  5. prime

prime Kernel Developer
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +57
    It's because system apps have a higher oom value by default, this means less important apps in /data get killed first for system stability.

6. rabbitfoot

rabbitfoot Member

Ratings:
    +2
    thank you prime! that makes sense.

i'm going to move gmail back to /system/app and install my chomp to /system/app to see if that helps, rather than locking it.

*edit* just did a few tests and it seems to be working. i'll keep testing.

best,
    rf

#6 rabbitfoot, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  7. surfbuckeyesbc

Ratings:
    +0
    I-O!
    That is a great idea, and I will think of moving some of my apps around to different locations.

I just noticed that, for example, when I'm browsing the web, and I use my keyboard (SwiftKey), that the keyboard will keep getting killed because my memory is so low, so i can't type or browse, and then every app will force a redraw (which are much faster) btw.

I was more curious as well, if there are things we can do to the system (maybe remove glitzy things we don't need) that will free up system memory to allow for a more Froyo level of RAM usage while keeping some of the benefits of GB. I keep flashing back and forth between BB 6.2.1 and this, guess i'll keep making backups so i'm current on both.

8. surfbuckeyesbc

Ratings:
    +0
    What is the best way to clean out system memory? Just go to System > Apps in Root Explorer?

9. Timberwolf

Timberwolf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ill just throw in my two cents here. I had somewhat of the same problem. I didn't move anything to system I just moved some apps (flash is a nice big file) to my sd card, and that seemed to solve the problem, I looked at how much data apps were storing and cleared data on ones that seemed higher data stored. I also deleted some apps I no longer use. I went from 32ish free to 84 free and that has seemed to help significantly, along with locking apps in memory.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

10. buckmarble

buckmarble Developer
    Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +69
    That's what I did. Just make sure you know what you're deleting

11. rabbitfoot

rabbitfoot Member

Ratings:
    +2
    anybody know why chomp won't stay in /system/app w/o force closing? i moved it from /data/app using root explorer, but then on each reboot i have to install it again for it to stop force closing. so, i copied com.p1.chompsms-1.apk to /sdcard, un-installed it, rebooted, then entered the following in terminal emulator:

su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    cd /sdcard
    install com.p1.chompsms-1.apk /system/app/com.p1.chompsms-1.apk
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    sync
    sync

when i rebooted, i got the same fc's. i did a search on this and came up empty. any ideas on this is much appreciated. thanks!

best,
    rf

12. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey rabbit, there are several apps that I always used to run in /system/app that just force close if I move them on GB. Handcent and Swype are a couple of those (although others, like ^3 music player, Pure Grid Calendar Widget, Sweeter Home 2 and Temp Monitor do just fine there). I think I've stopped trying to figure out why and just accepted it!

Search tags for this page
android gingerbread memory leak
android gingerbread ram
gingerbread memory leak
gingerbread memory requirements

gingerbread ram usage

how to free up system memory in gingerbread
increase ram on ginger bread
is the android gingerbread a ram hog
memory requirements for gingerbread
system memory on gingerbread