Gingerbread likely to come to Droid 1

maxohkc

Reaction score
I have found a huge amount of posts about gingerbread having system requirments and it will not come to the Droid 1. Well since Morril did state that there are no system requirements, doesn't it sound like he was trying to say gingerbread is coming to the Droid 1. I mean their is a very small amount of android phones coming out below 1ghz. (G2 is 800mhz) So it sounds like Morril was hinting towards older phones like the droid 1 will receive the gingerbread upgrade. I bet this is super confusing but wanted to share my thoughts on gingerbread. does it make sense? I know my english sucks.

Source about morril: Revisiting Android 3/Gingerbread details post. Some corrections, clarifications Unwired View

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Google has clarified that there are no system requirements for gingerbread which means the Droid 1 could get it, but ultimately it will be up to Verizon to decide if they want to release it for the Droid 1 or just the newer Droids. Either way I'm sure the ROM developers will have a gingerbread version for the Droid 1.

sina

Reaction score
I would not be surprised if they cut us D1 users out of gingerbread, just like they did with the wireless tether. no doubt it will be available as a rom

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Everyone harps on Verizon for no wireless tether or no more updates. Motorola said the D1 isn't designed to support wireless tether, and Motorola is the one who builds the updates. Verizon just qualifies them. If Moto thinks a Gingerbread build is viable for the D1 we will get it.

Sent from somewhere...

deputc26

Reaction score
Lol, my D1 will get gingerbread, of that I am sure :icon_ banana:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
D1 is an incredibly hackable device.... there will be, one way or another, Gingerbread available to D1 users. IMO :)

Nick177th

Reaction score
Everyone harps on Verizon for no wireless tether or no more updates. Motorola said the D1 isn't designed to support wireless tether, and Motorola is the one who builds the updates. Verizon just qualifies them. If Moto thinks a Gingerbread build is viable for the D1 we will get it.

Sent from somewhere...

That is soooooo weird. I know you know this and have heard it a thousand times but, I use wireless tether on the regular. Never ever a problem with it. Albeit, I don't use it as a primary source for internet connection. Just when I'm not near an available hot spot.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

Sent from somewhere...

...which is *precisely* why rooting is a necessity. Why in the world should we be forced to live on a diet of whatever Motorola or Verizon feels like feeding us?

-Mike

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if they cut us D1 users out of gingerbread, just like they did with the wireless tether. no doubt it will be available as a rom

Wow, talk about comparing apples to oranges! There will be a version of gingerbread for the D1.

Funny, in another thread I just yesterday mentioned that we already were seeing signs of the anticipation of the next release. This is one of hook's four phases of a release: Anticipation, Excitement of release, Complaining about the release, and Acceptance of the release.

We are still in acceptance of 2.2 but it wouldn't be too early to start talking about 3.0.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't put anything beyond our Developers - I expect we will see bits and peices of G/B and H/C

Sent from my Original Droid using the Exclusive Droid Forums App :wink:

diggy488

Reaction score
D1 is an incredibly hackable device.... there will be, one way or another, Gingerbread available to D1 users. IMO :)

....and that is why I am not giving up my D1 for a very long time.

Same here. Having since rooted my Droid, throwing different ROMS at it, the phone always feels like brand new. It's twice as fast since the first day I got it. It does everything i want it to. I *shouldn't* need another phone for a long time!

markwebb

Reaction score
Same here. Having since rooted my Droid, throwing different ROMS at it, the phone always feels like brand new. It's twice as fast since the first day I got it. It does everything i want it to. I *shouldn't* need another phone for a long time!

You bet. My only "wish" is that the screen could be a bit larger....but other than that, it does what I want it to do and always feels new with each ROM, etc like you said.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Although I cannot reveal my sources, it is my understanding that all internal development at Motorola for Droid 1 has been stopped. All involved have been moved on to newer and better things.

Again, I refuse to give up my sources for their own protection; so take this as you want to. But don't be surprised if FRG22D is the last official release for the original Droid.

I would be really surprised, however, if a custom Gingerbread ROM didn't make it out for the Droid.