Gingerbread likely to come to Droid 1

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by maxohkc, Oct 17, 2010.

1. maxohkc

maxohkc New Member

I have found a huge amount of posts about gingerbread having system requirments and it will not come to the Droid 1. Well since Morril did state that there are no system requirements, doesn't it sound like he was trying to say gingerbread is coming to the Droid 1. I mean their is a very small amount of android phones coming out below 1ghz. (G2 is 800mhz) So it sounds like Morril was hinting towards older phones like the droid 1 will receive the gingerbread upgrade. I bet this is super confusing but wanted to share my thoughts on gingerbread. does it make sense? I know my english sucks.

Source about morril: Revisiting Android 3/Gingerbread details post. Some corrections, clarifications Unwired View
  2. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Google has clarified that there are no system requirements for gingerbread which means the Droid 1 could get it, but ultimately it will be up to Verizon to decide if they want to release it for the Droid 1 or just the newer Droids. Either way I'm sure the ROM developers will have a gingerbread version for the Droid 1.
  3. sina

sina New Member

I would not be surprised if they cut us D1 users out of gingerbread, just like they did with the wireless tether. no doubt it will be available as a rom
  4. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Everyone harps on Verizon for no wireless tether or no more updates. Motorola said the D1 isn't designed to support wireless tether, and Motorola is the one who builds the updates. Verizon just qualifies them. If Moto thinks a Gingerbread build is viable for the D1 we will get it.

Sent from somewhere...
  5. deputc26

deputc26 New Member

Lol, my D1 will get gingerbread, of that I am sure :icon_ banana:
  6. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

D1 is an incredibly hackable device.... there will be, one way or another, Gingerbread available to D1 users. IMO :)
  7. Nick177th

Nick177th New Member

That is soooooo weird. I know you know this and have heard it a thousand times but, I use wireless tether on the regular. Never ever a problem with it. Albeit, I don't use it as a primary source for internet connection. Just when I'm not near an available hot spot.
  8. UltraDroid

UltraDroid DF Super Moderator Staff Member

...which is *precisely* why rooting is a necessity. Why in the world should we be forced to live on a diet of whatever Motorola or Verizon feels like feeding us?

-Mike
  9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Wow, talk about comparing apples to oranges! There will be a version of gingerbread for the D1.

Funny, in another thread I just yesterday mentioned that we already were seeing signs of the anticipation of the next release. This is one of hook's four phases of a release: Anticipation, Excitement of release, Complaining about the release, and Acceptance of the release.

We are still in acceptance of 2.2 but it wouldn't be too early to start talking about 3.0.
  10. markwebb

markwebb New Member

....and that is why I am not giving up my D1 for a very long time.
  11. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I don't put anything beyond our Developers - I expect we will see bits and peices of G/B and H/C

Sent from my Original Droid using the Exclusive Droid Forums App :wink:
  12. diggy488

diggy488 New Member

Same here. Having since rooted my Droid, throwing different ROMS at it, the phone always feels like brand new. It's twice as fast since the first day I got it. It does everything i want it to. I *shouldn't* need another phone for a long time!
  13. markwebb

markwebb New Member

You bet. My only "wish" is that the screen could be a bit larger....but other than that, it does what I want it to do and always feels new with each ROM, etc like you said.
  14. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Although I cannot reveal my sources, it is my understanding that all internal development at Motorola for Droid 1 has been stopped. All involved have been moved on to newer and better things.

Again, I refuse to give up my sources for their own protection; so take this as you want to. But don't be surprised if FRG22D is the last official release for the original Droid.

I would be really surprised, however, if a custom Gingerbread ROM didn't make it out for the Droid.
  15. dmartins

dmartins Member

You can already get a Gingerbread ROM for the Droid.
    I'm about to install it now.
  16. Fail Tactics

Fail Tactics New Member

Did you really just bump this old of a thread?
  17. UltraDroid

UltraDroid DF Super Moderator Staff Member

What's wrong with the bump?

-Mike
  18. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Well, for the non-rooted people who feel they would be missing out, here's my early observations:

A little faster, perhaps. But without the compcache and Davlik heapsize tweaks, it's not nearly the same D1 refresher that 2.1 and 2.2 were. Still have lag and redraw - customizability of Android continues to be its own worst enemy, simultaneously showing the potential but also the limitations of a smartphone.

Now there is already a 2.4 in the works, but my understanding is that may be mostly support for dual-core.
  19. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

Ive found that its fine for one client but becomes unusable with more than one. I used to use it all the time in one of my classes where the room didnt have internet access and these two girls asked if they could use my connection too and as soon as they started using it it would bog down to a crawl and wouldnt work half the time.
  20. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I've yet to find the right combo of lan/channel. Best I seem to be able to get is an average of about 300-400kbps. Split that with 1 or 2 other people and, yeah, it's unusable. Even at that speed, it's barely tolerable except in a pinch.
Search tags for this page

gingerbreak droid 1