gingerbread keyboard/navigation lights not working properly

taspankya

Reaction score
anyone else have the issue of the keyboard and navigation lights not turning on when they are supposed to/ kie on slide out of keyboardl etc... i have to turn the screen off and back on to get them to turn on...

Reaction score
I have the same problem and the same solution. I've yet to find a permanent fix for it. It's annoying, but easier to deal with than all the problems on froyo that gingerbread so far seems to have addressed.

OP
taspankya

taspankya

Reaction score
i hate to bump a thread... but is anyone else having this phenomenon?
its driving me nuts. i'll open my keyboard at night and have no keyboard light or navigation light......

tobaloke

Reaction score
I can definitely confirm the issue with the navigation lights; still, no idea yet as to what the cause(s) might be...

...one possibility might be any changes GB might have made to the 'InPocket' service?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

ark116

Reaction score
Keep in mind GB isn't officially out for d2g....there are probably reasons for that....and yeah it happens to me too, but I just hit the power button.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

motorbikematt

Reaction score
Verizon officially pushed Gingerbread

I now have Gingerbread officially as of today and I have this same keyboard/soft key backlight issue too.

Actually had seen similar behavior with screen dimming app called Screen Filter https://market.android.com/details?id=com.haxor where I had to cycle the screen power button in order to bring the key lights back on.

Fiddling with that widget seems to wake the lights up in a pinch, but this is a problem that needs to be fixed.

OP
taspankya

taspankya

Reaction score
this what happens when you have version segregation and so many handsets with little/no ongoing support... it makes me want to go :blink:... iPhone :smh: just for reliability and stability.

cant believe there is no fix for this and that even D3 people have this issue, its unacceptable.

dnizzle555

Reaction score
same problem here

Same thing on my D2 Global. Super annoying. Sometimes i have to press the power button twice or three times to get the keyboard to light up.

jltdroid

Reaction score
Hi. After extensive headaches, I actually am the first person to report this issue on the DG2 and its cause to Verizon Wireless and Motorola. (According to them, anyway....)

The phone code programmer reversed the operation of the keyboard backlight in the Gingerbread update. When the light sensor "sees" darkness, it turns the keyboard backlight OFF instead of ON and vice-versa.

The temporary fix to this is to physically turn the phone toward a light source. The keyboard lighting will come on, and luckily stay on, until the phone goes into standby mode.

If you are in a totally dark place, if you put your hand over the touchscreen while the screen is on..... enough light may be reflected back into the light sensor to trigger the keyboard backlight.

Gingerbread, by the way, is full of a ton of critical bugs. I insisted Verizon do something about the problem, and they sent me a Droid Global 3 at their (Motorola's) expense. I should add I buy the additional insurance.

I am now noticing the keyboard backlight cycling on the DG3, and have not figured out a cause yet. The keyboard light on the DG3 does not lock on once turned on like the global 2.

teanpa

Reaction score
anyone else have the issue of the keyboard and navigation lights not turning on when they are supposed to/ kie on slide out of keyboardl etc... i have to turn the screen off and back on to get them to turn on...

I did this to fix my keyboard, and to my surprise, it fixed my navigation lights as well!

It might work for you too!

Settings > Language & keyboards > Multi-touch keyboard.

Then:

- Disable 'vibrate on keypress.'
- Disable 'next word prediction.'
- Clear learned words.

minetta78

Reaction score
keyboard issues

YES! I just had to turn my phone off, for the 4th time, in a 15 minute texting conversation. this has happened before, but it was only a one time thing. I have no idea what's going on, but it's REALLY irritating!

teanpa

Reaction score
YES! I just had to turn my phone off, for the 4th time, in a 15 minute texting conversation. this has happened before, but it was only a one time thing. I have no idea what's going on, but it's REALLY irritating!

You're not turning your phone completely off, are you? You can turn the display on and off repeatedly until the navigation lights comes on. That's if you're completely shutting you're phone off. Just a tip to make it easier! :) I wish they'd get it fixed.

hnhgur

Reaction score
sensor light not working

I did the following and it worked!!! Don't know how the sequence of these events would resolve my proximity sensor light issue but now my back light on the navigation works and my screen goes off when I am calls! I was this close to returning the phone you are a genius! Thanks!DancingNexus

I did this to fix my keyboard, and to my surprise, it fixed my navigation lights as well!

It might work for you too!

Settings > Language & keyboards > Multi-touch keyboard.

Then:

- Disable 'vibrate on keypress.'
- Disable 'next word prediction.'
- Clear learned words.

teanpa

Reaction score
I did the following and it worked!!! Don't know how the sequence of these events would resolve my proximity sensor light issue but now my back light on the navigation works and my screen goes off when I am calls! I was this close to returning the phone you are a genius! Thanks!DancingNexus

Actually, I realized afterwards that this didn't work for the navigation lights. Sorry.