Gingerbread: is your GPS still crappy?

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by Billav, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Billav

Billav New Member

Mine is. At first blush, I thought it had been fixed. The large circle that pinpoints your area was shrinking down quickly, so it looked like the lock was coming quicker. But now I've noticed that many times it shrinks down to the small area, but it's the wrong location. Then it'll bounce around a couple of times until it finally rests on your correct location. With Froyo, it might take two minutes to get a lock, but it was usually accurate. Now when I get a "lock" most of the time it's wrong - many times horribly wrong. In Manhattan, I can understand that tall buildings can mess it up; but sometimes I'll be in a parking lot with no tall buildings around, and my location will "lock" in six blocks away. Today I did a walk in a suburban area that I've been to before. No tall buildings, etc. At one point I was higher than everything else. The large circle appeared and showed the area properly. When it zoomed in, it jumped ten miles away, and stayed there. As I walked, nothing changed on the phone - still ten miles off. I exited out of Maps and opened it up again. Still ten miles off. I rebooted and when I started Maps again, it got the general area right but didn't lock on to to the proper area (by this time I was by an athletic field with NOTHING around), it showed me - stationary - several blocks away. I exited out of Maps and went back in, my correct location showed up again, except the arrow was pointed in the wrong direction for quite some time.

Has anyone who had a GPS problem before had it resolved by the update? BTW, by data connections seem to be much better, and battery life is slightly better.
  2. EmanP223

EmanP223 New Member

Oh brother. I really hope the update hasn't made it even worse. I hope that others can check on this.
  3. Billav

Billav New Member

I tried it again today. Bear in mind that this is with me walking around - the problem never was really evident while driving or biking, beyond the initial lock time. I tried it in Manhattan and Queens. I never got a good lock in Manhattan, where in the past I had been able to. It usually was off by a few blocks after bouncing around for awhile. Same thing with Queens, and there were no tall buildings around. The most disturbing thing now is that Google Maps will freeze, and that's never happened before. This may be due to the new version of Google Maps that was released a few days ago. I just took out the battery and SIM card. I'll try it again tomorrow.
  4. Billav

Billav New Member

I'm going to stop thinking about it. I was comparing the GPS quality to the GPS in my iPad, which I haven't used since i got the Charge. In my mind, the iPad GPS was perfect and locked instantly. I tried my iPad today and had similar issues. So screw it, I'm just gonna be happy with what I have.:D
  5. CTownDroid

CTownDroid Member

Mine works perfectly with almost instant lock. I do, however, never turn off my GPS or Google location services. My battery last all day also (til about 7-9 pm) before plugging in. I use no location service APPs, except Facebook which I just updated Sunday and noticed that it does use location. Time to remove unless there is a way to turn that off.
  6. abullock22

abullock22 New Member

i flashed my phone with the latest gingerbread iteration and the gps still sucks (im in Manhattan also) and its normally a block off and always shows the large blue circle - compared to the OGdroid this phone is a pos.
    I actually need accurate gps for my job as I work in digital wayfinding and this phone is more than a let down - its horrendous
  7. FernBch

FernBch New Member

I too run the latest GB, but my gps works well. Usually locks in within 20 meters in a few moments. I have also installed gps status from the market. It seems to have helped gps work better. It's like gps in GB was a little fuzzy at times beforehand.

Into The VorteX
  8. jnaught1

jnaught1 New Member

Used my gps today for a 2 hour drive - worked beautifully! Locked-in almost immediately - used to take a few minutes before the update.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  9. CTownDroid

CTownDroid Member

My Garmin GPS unit doesn't work very well in downtown Pittsburgh, I have to believe it has to do with no clear line of sight to the satellites, while my Charge does a better job. Are you in an open area outside when you are using your GPS?
  10. abullock22

abullock22 New Member

believe me i have tried to give it the benefit of the doubt also but when my original droid locked on every single time in the same locations within the city, with never an issue i have now put it down to the phone being sub-par.
  11. jhev1

jhev1 New Member

I used to use my og as a range finder for golf. Always locked to with 2-3 yards almost instantly, rarely more than 10 seconds. I've stopped using that app now that I have this phone because it would either never lock or say +/-20 yards, which is pointless. GB is no different. I use gps several times a day for work, and it is no better after the update.

Sent from my SH*T-I510 using DroidForums
  12. Billav

Billav New Member

I've tried to be happy with the gps on the Charge, but it's impossible. It's cloudy today. Whenever it's cloudy out, I can't get a lock.:banghead:

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
  13. jhev1

jhev1 New Member

I got so fed up with the horrible GPS I got rid of the Charge and got a Razr. Couldn't be happier.
  14. AstroBoy

AstroBoy New Member

If you are rooted, try freezing a system program called AngryGPS. That works like a charm and gives me locks in seconds. Granted the accuracy is still 3 meters or more. But with this phone I guess you can't have everything.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
  15. Billav

Billav New Member

Thanks for the info. I'm not rooted, so I can't freeze it. There's probably something physically wrong with it. I finally gave up today and ordered an iPhone. Not that's there's anything wrong with Android - but there's a couple of apps I have on my iPod touch that you can't get for Android. I'll miss Maps and 4G connectivity (when it would connect) and the big screen, though. I figure that the Charge will prepare me for the potentially crappy battery life on the iPhone 4S.
Search tags for this page
droid charge gps fix
fix gps on gingerbread
gb gps fix captivate

gingerbread gps fix

gps fix captivate gingerbread
gps for gingerbread
gps tweaks for samsung gingerbrea
mempercepat lock gps gingerbread
samsung droid charge angry gps
samsung note 2 gps slow to lock
what is angrygps android